Pistol Testing?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Testing?

Pistol Testing?

Maybe a dumb question, but I honestly don't know... do they test you on pistols in bootcamp as well?

I've never fired a pistol, well besides a .22 which doesn't count because they have practically no kick and when I fire the .22 pistol its just to make noise for hunting...

I was thinking about going to the local gun shop and shooting an M9... just to get an introduction to shooting pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by jpg8402 View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but I honestly don't know... do they test you on pistols in bootcamp as well?
    No.

I've never fired a pistol, well besides a .22 which doesn't count because they have practically no kick and when I fire the .22 pistol its just to make noise for hunting...

I was thinking about going to the local gun shop and shooting an M9... just to get an introduction to shooting pistols.

doesnt hurt to try it out anyways..

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You will probally not qualify with the pistol unless your TO weapon is a pistol instead of a rifle.

Or your MOS denotes that you do....or special duty Marine Barracks,Marine Security etc.

Also your rank.....most but not all Sgts and above during my time..qualified...with the .45cal. pistol.

And then again...if so many slots come down and your training office/NCO needs to fill the billets/slots you maybe selected.

This is the way it used to be....but you don't qualify in boot camp...except with the M16A? now.

When you hit the fleet you may join the USMC Rod & Gun Club and drink till 01 and pizz to 02......other than that probally not.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As far as I know what Blooper said was the way it was in 68 but allot has change since then. I didn't carry a pistol until I was in Nam. I carried a M-16 and a 45 cal.
    Semper Fi Redman1

Thanks for the input. This gives me a better understanding.

No pistols in boot camp.

Good initiative, but your time would be better spent in other areas.
    Especially with how expensive and scarce ammo is at the moment.

.22 is actually a VERY good ammo to practice with. It's cheap to shoot, and the recoil is so low that you won't jerk in anticipation. It's a good round to start on the fundamentals.

There are other ways to go about qual'n with the M9. But you won't do it in boot camp.

Well, I've got 3 certificates to go shoot at the local gun shop. Figured I'd use them up. But if having to qaulify with a pistol isn't anything I'll have to do anytime soon, especially no it boot... then I won't worry about it just yet.

Too bad, I thought recruits had that option...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post

This is the way it used to be....but you don't qualify in boot camp...except with the M16A? now.
    Still M16A2, Ssgt. The Corps is still too cheap to give everyone an A4, especially recruits (a lot of Marines are still using the A2 in the Fleet).

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    .22 is actually a VERY good ammo to practice with. It's cheap to shoot, and the recoil is so low that you won't jerk in anticipation. It's a good round to start on the fundamentals.

There are other ways to go about qual'n with the M9. But you won't do it in boot camp.
    Do you guys on the Shooting Team train with the match .22's? They are fun.

I agree with your comments about using .22 ammo. Not only is it cheap, but because of the low recoil it's easier to catch problems.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Pistol Testing

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Do you guys on the Shooting Team train with the match .22's? They are fun.

I agree with your comments about using .22 ammo. Not only is it cheap, but because of the low recoil it's easier to catch problems.
    Hell "No recoil"
    If it don't have recoil your shooting a pussy pistol.
    I do agree with the cheaper shot though.
    A weapon without recoil is like a Marine in a Army uniform. Not much to it.
    Although a Marine in any uniform would still be a hell of a punch in no matter what package he was in.
    Semper Fi Redman

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Guess ya never know,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by redman1 View Post
    As far as I know what Blooper said was the way it was in 68 but allot has change since then. I didn't carry a pistol until I was in Nam. I carried a M-16 and a 45 cal.
    Semper Fi Redman1
    We qualled with a .45 in boot, '69.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Come to think about it we might have shot a 45 in boot but didn't have to qualify.
    Hell I have a hard time remembering yesterday so how can I remember 68?
    That's one thing about the Marines we got to shoot allot of different weapons. Remember shooting the machine gun on tripods. Not like the Rambo movies where you held it with one arm and let her rip. Training to be prepared to take over any-one's weapon if need to was a good thing.
    When I went to Camp Pendleton for combat training on the way to Nam they issued us BB rifles to practice shooting from the hip then gave us M-16's and practice shooting from the hip. Definitely different than boot camp was.
    Couldn't get over my first M-16 it was so light compared to the M-14 and had no recoil like the M-14. One thing about the M-14 it was a hell of a rifle.
    Semper Fi Redman1
    Semper Fi Redman1

Thread Information