Aviation Mechanic School
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aviation Mechanic School

Does anybody know how long and where Aviation Mechanic school is?

Ship date:20090801
    SDP:20090227
    MOS:Aviation Mechanic
    MCRDPI
    RSS:Brooklyn,NY

I'm here now in AM school. It's in Pensacola FL, Mechanics school is backed up a minimum of 75 days, so expect to be sitting around on barracks support cleaning and PTing for a while until your class picks up.

How do you like it out there so far? Is there anything you can do around there on your spare time? That is if you do have spare time.

It's not a bad place to be stuck for a while, it gets boring yeah... But on free time there's places like "Portside" on base which is an Enlisted club where you can go to drink (if you're 21) play Xbox, PS3's, Wii, watch movies in the theater, got a taco bell, A&W, subway, panda express, and pizza place to get you nice and fat. Oorah. You can leave base everday if you wanted to... Just avoid all the underage females runnin' around here...

Personally, I waste countless hours hittin on the Navy chicks, playing guitar, and dipping.

You can always catch a taxi to the mall or beach or whatever you want to do.

It's not too bad really... When you get here, get yourself enrolled in the LEAD program, 3 week course where you get your MCI's done, and also get your gray belt for MCMAP. Great course, I pick up with LEAD tomorrow.

They've got a firefighting course, hummwv course, bus driving course, etc. So you can get a lot of stuff done here

Sounds good to me. What time is school usually from? Do you actually get hands on training with planes and helicopters? Can you actually pick if you can work on fixed wing or rotary? How many months does the school take? I know i'm asking a lot of questions but I just want to have an idea of how it would be like out there. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Vasquez View Post
    Sounds good to me. What time is school usually from? Do you actually get hands on training with planes and helicopters? Can you actually pick if you can work on fixed wing or rotary? How many months does the school take? I know i'm asking a lot of questions but I just want to have an idea of how it would be like out there. Thanks for the reply.
    No hands on training, this is your A school. AM is one of the longest schools to complete because of how long it takes to actually class up.

Im glad you asked that question Vaquez as I had the same thing on my mind.

PFC Donut Brigade or PFC SS109 do you know if around the holidays I would be able to travel home? I will be attending boot camp 20090803. I figure if im out of boot on 20091030 I get some leave head out to MCT during Thanksgiving and ship right out to Florida for the Christmas Holiday.

Thanks
    Rick M

Quote Originally Posted by boblasek View Post
    Im glad you asked that question Vaquez as I had the same thing on my mind.

PFC Donut Brigade or PFC SS109 do you know if around the holidays I would be able to travel home? I will be attending boot camp 20090803. I figure if im out of boot on 20091030 I get some leave head out to MCT during Thanksgiving and ship right out to Florida for the Christmas Holiday.

Thanks
    Rick M
    Yes you can take either 15 days of RA (remember you can only take it once a year) or leave. They will want to get rid of you during Christmas, so as long as your recruiter is cool with it and you submit your paperwork on time, they will accept your orders. If you choose to stay, you'll just chill on base and there will be two 96s, otherwise you'll have to be accounted for every single day. I actually wish I would have done that, I don't like going on leave, every time I do it reminds me why I joined.

Thanks for the quick response PFC Donut Brigade. I know my family would appreciate it very much seeing me through the holidays or at least one of them.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Turci, I think I've seen you around probably. What Duty Section are you in?

I am actually in the schoolhouse learning the stuff right now in AM.
    Well Poolee Vasquez you do not know which side in the Aviation you'll be working on. There are several schoolhouse. AM is the Airframe. Others are AD (Power plant), PR/AME (Parachute & ejection seat), AS/GSE (Ground Support Equipment). Depending on what the Corps need is you can be changed around. I was supposed to be in AD but I ended up in AM.

All the schoolhouse I just mentioned (AM, AD, PR, GSE) have different programs on their own and different length. I can't tell you for all the schoolhouse, but I tell you all these take forever to class up. I know a Marine who is supposed to class up PR and he got here in January and doesn't class up until mid June. GSE takes long too because you have to take another class before actually starting school and you have to wait for that as well. About average you'll be stuck in Barracks Support for about good 2-4 months. But like PFC Turci said, there are lots of things for you so that you won't be stuck in barracks forever. Take advantage of those programs. In addition you can also go take a tour in the Air Museum they have on base, I never got to do any of these because I decided to take PTAD, and I was sent to work in the mailroom for a bit.

AM is 7 weeks long including Strand. AD is about a month long, and I can't tell you for the other schools. Trust me tho, you will be in Pensacola for way longer, the wait to class up takes longer than the school itself. Usually all the schools go from 0430 (early morning PT) to 1600. If you get there for Winter it's from 0630 to 1600, you get to PT afternoon. Once you class up and take a day of INDOC class in your schoolhouse you will fill out wishlist. It's only wishlist. You pick Overseas/West/East and Fixed/Rotary. Don't get surprised because what you see on your order isn't what you wanted. If you want to get what you want, study hard, stay focused, and get the top of the class, even the sailors (it's usually mixed class.)

About requesting PTAD for the holidays, I tell you DO NOT ask for PTAD when you are at MCT getting out to go to Pensacola. I tell you from the experience. Even if you might be missing some days of Christmas or New Years, just get to Pensacola, then request for it. It's much easier that way. It doesn't have to be 15 days. It can be up to 30 days.

Thanks for the heads up guys I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by jungholee90 View Post
    Turci, I think I've seen you around probably. What Duty Section are you in?
    I'm 4th platoon, picking up LEAD tuesday, I was on SIDS this weekend so yes you probably saw me lol.

Just bumping an old thread. How is the weather down there right now PFC Donut Brigade?

Hot and humid. I only use cotton skivvie shirts for PT now. Pensacola still sucks, BUT I did move to a different barracks (601, all I strand) and its ran by students and everybody is really chill. I'm liking it more.

You'll get here when it will be cold again, DO NOT lose your black leather gloves they will give you in boot camp, because they will be sold out on base. And you can't just get any black gloves, sometimes they are anal if your gloves are GI or not. Also, try to tactically acquire a polartec beanie when you're in MCT, you'll be thankful you did when they'll have you get in PT gear. Those black wool crackhead beanies they have at the PX suck.

Try to get some long sleeved skivvies too, they are more comfortable to wear under your cammies with the wooly sweater. I'm telling you, if only I knew these things before I got to "WARM AND SUNNY" (yeah, OK) Pensuckola.

I also splurged on a goretex when I got here (got one on ebay), I hate the inspector gadget coats. You may wear the old green BDU with cammies, it's in the order.

Thread Information