I got a response today from the Congressman's Office in regards to my 2nd denial of benefits from the VA.

Here it is:
Congressman Boucher:

When I filed the 2nd appeal, I thought for sure with the diagnosis, medical and military history, and prescribed medications would surely be enough to satisfy the criteria for PTSD benefits. I was wrong.
Here is a bit of more detailed background of me. I served in the US Marines from May 93 until June 30, 2007 with a retirement date of 1 July 2007.

In 1996-97, I was assigned and part of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit out of Camp Lejeune, NC and was assigned to work for Combat Cargo aboard the USS Nassau (LHA-4) for the duration of the float. During the float, we were called in by the Secretary of State to perform a NEO from the US Embassy in Albania of American Citizens and others when the country collapsed and to reinforce the Embassy by Marines from BLT 1/8.
After the NEO was conducted, we were ordered away from the Amphibious Ready Group to head to Africa in the Sierra Leon/Congo area in preparation for a suspected NEO from Zaire and to establish logistical links on the ground to support this.

I was actively involved/engaged in these actions, which were later named as Operations Joint Endeavor, Joint Guard, and Guardian Retrieval. For these named actions, I received the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Armed Forces Service Medal, Joint Meritorious Unit Award, and the Humanitarian Medal amongst others. I did not rate the strict criteria for the CAR (Combat Action Ribbon) but did see a lot of traumatic events and situations.

Since being retired and using the medical facilities of Mountain Home VA Medical Center I have been diagnosed positively for “severe” PTSD by my PhD Dr Ahmad and placed on both anti-depressants and anxiety medications. Upon my last visit with Dr Ahmad in early March, she specifically labeled me as “unemployable” due to PTSD alone. I am currently enrolled in and attending a PTSD program offered by that facility and have completed 2 of the required classes to be assigned to a smaller group upon completion.

The VA has denied me twice for benefits and compensation for PTSD basically saying I don’t meet the criteria. Why would they treat and diagnose me with PTSD but not compensate me??

My DD-214 specifically lists my combat expeditions as listed above, my service/unit awards for each action, and also references myself as being physically in both Sierra Leon and Albania during these time periods.
I have heard there is proposed legislation to amend the WW II era “language” for service members who do not rate the CAR or Combat Infantry Badge as being eligible for benefits. As it stands now, many service members are being denied benefits and help daily dealing with PTSD which is a very real and debilitating condition.

I also filed for unemployables from the VA, as I am legally disabled by SSDI and can’t work in any capacity due to my PTSD and other physical conditions. The VA subsequently also denied this benefit to me also. How can one governmental agency deem me unemployable but another say I’m fine to work??

So, what does this all mean for me?? I am prescribed medications I simply can’t afford being only rated as 20% disabled by the VA and they are not free. Every time I have to drive to Johnson City, it’s a 1.5 hr round trip one way for me to get there, and I am not compensated for mileage even though they make the appointments for me.

I have not yet appealed the recent denial of benefits awaiting guidance of you and your office. I don’t know what else to do, I don’t know where to turn for help. I don’t trust the VA’s rating system or personnel any longer.

I'll keep you posted if anything happens.

Semper Stressed