Iraq / Afghanistan Today. - Page 25
Create Post
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
    Oh and Anyone watch Alpha Co: Iraq Diary?

Our ****ing unit was the ones who did all the patrols, vcps, knock and talk and took all the casualties yet we're barely mentioned on it.

First time I saw it I could have swore that **** looked familiar and low and behold it was. I might hate recon because they caused us to clear out their sector of Amaryah during operation southern fire and then provide security while CED set up hesco barriers.

15hrs in a turret that has a 240 but 556 is a lil disconcerting. Looking back though I would hate to fight a "perfect" war where there is no adapt and over come, when that day comes a countrry of less might will beat our weak minded military

it is happening.... we fight using the 2nd generation of warfare (kill all of your enemy) but that doesn't work anymore... we just end up pushing the neutral civilians over to the bad guys... look at the last 30+ years of wars...

3rd generation was created when mao took over... he did surprise attacks and political uphevel.... now the 4th generation of warfare includes economics... China is the developer of the 4th gen but it was labeled by a few of our own.

in order to combat it we need to win the hearts and minds of the people... to train them and to hope they push them out.

even though it seems as though we are doing that in Iraq, I assure you that it doesn't require the assets we have instituted in the last 7 years.

our Generals know what type of war we need to be fighting, it's the politicians and the SecDef who affect how we do it... just look at the differences from rumsfeld to gates.... 4th gen all the way once gates stepped on deck....

Back in OIF III and you can check my sig for where I was. Hearts and minds meant jack ****.

We would've been better off killing every man woman and child wihing a 400m radious of the blast zone.

These people are used to violence so if they THINK the insurgents might attack them if they don't help them, however if the Marines say "if we get hit one more time your entire village dies that would cut down on the problems.

I couldn't fight this war now. Way to pussified

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Prayers out to all you Marines in the Sand Box.
    Stay safe and kick some ass.
    Semper Fi Redman1

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneRJ View Post
    It's totally different thanks to sweat, blood, and tears of those before me. I just really hate baby sitting. Since the SOFA agreement the people here think were not allowed outside the base at all, but that's not the case. Even the IPs give us weird looks and the IA are even more confused. Now we get rocks, and bottles thrown at us now when we patrol.
    Yeah, that wouldn't have flown a few years back. Rocks and bottles pose a threat....nuff said.

I don't blame you. I didn't like staying stationary much. I don't know if I have the patience to hack it with those of you over there today. We were constantly on the move, and like I said in another post, that meant we were safer in my mind. When sitting stationery, that gives them time to coordinate attacks and such. Plus, I can't remember too many IEDs-they weren't really a threat, at least to my platoon. Ambulance car bombs were, though.

Stay safe and keep your heads down. You newer generation of Marines are MY heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Augustus View Post
    Back in OIF III and you can check my sig for where I was. Hearts and minds meant jack ****.

We would've been better off killing every man woman and child wihing a 400m radious of the blast zone.

These people are used to violence so if they THINK the insurgents might attack them if they don't help them, however if the Marines say "if we get hit one more time your entire village dies that would cut down on the problems.

I couldn't fight this war now. Way to pussified
    I think too many politics are involved now days to fight the war how it's supposed to be fought. The media is against us every step of the way, too. I'm glad I didn't have an embed with us in 2003. He got assigned to another platoon. Being young, I was disappointed because I wanted to be on TV or in a book, but looking back on it, not having him allowed us to fight the war "Mattis style" - the way it was supposed to be. I really admire that Marine.

I couldn't believe the stories I heard in 2005+ when my buddies were rotating back, talking about how they had to fill out paperwork if they fired their weapons. What kind of **** is that?? And to top it off, the media was making a lot of the Marines look like war criminals because they would only tell part of the story: "a Marine shot an Iraqi POW who was lying on the ground. He's a war criminal!" But what they don't tell you is that the Iraqi was refusing to follow commands and reached underneath himself quickly, which caused the Marine to react.

One of these days, we are going to get our asses handed to us miserably, and it's going to be because of our own people. The media is the worst thing to happen to the military, and I think they should be removed quickly. I really don't understand why they are allowed to be with us.

I guess America wants to know what war is like, but they aren't willing to swear in and see it first hand. But I'll leave it at that because I'll just get myself worked up about it.

Oh well.

To the old (correct) way of doing things.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Keep your Head @ Ass Wired 2Gether 24/7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YO cane' no matter what keep that fucing flak jacket @ helmet on, even if it's 300 degrees, Sleep when you do alway's w/your boots on.Carry that Saw @ sum Frags always when venturing outside the Cluster Fuc,which is good The ankle express is the way 2 go!!!Them CP'S are a fucing mortar magnet.GodSpeed 2 You @ all The BRAVE.America is at tha'Mall the U.S.MARINES are at War S/F

Finally after all these months I've been here, I went on patrol and saw women and children. Even saw a Blonde haired little girl, plainly a white baby. Threw candy and water at the kids. Kind of fun seeing them play and flicking you off as you go by.

Wish I could do more for the people, but it's not are mission. Just next time gotta pack more water and jolly ranches, and maybe a soccer ball.

L/CPL Hayes - hope all is well with everyone serving in the Middle-East.
    I hate to admit it, but while I am a former Gunny in the Corps, I served in Iraq with the Army National Guard in 2006-2007. I talked with many Marines, especially at Camp Anaconda (LSA) at the transit facility. I was stationed at Camp Taji just north of Iraq where I spent 95% of my time working in Operations. As an "older guy" with experience, I was asked to work in the operations center. After some thought and consideration, I gave up my TC (truck commander - we did convoy security) position and became the day-time Operations Sergeant. No one pushed me to go out on missions, but I went out anyway just to say I did my share.

I hope they are still taking care of the men as they did when I was over there.
    Most outstanding chow and free laundry. One of the things I was really suprised to see was the concessions at the PX. Burger King, Dominos Pizza, Subway, etc. A touch of home was nice.

The young Marines I talked with were outstanding individuals. Make the Corps proud.
    SF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thinking of you Marines in the Sand Box and Prayers Outbound also.
    Kick ass and stay safe and return home safe.
    Semper Fi Redman1

Semper Fi Marines!!!

Get Some!!!
    OooRaah!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Prayers always outbound to all you Marines in the Sand Box.
    Stay safe and kick some ass.
    FistFu68 has some good advice, take it and be safe.
    In reading my Semper Fi magazine I can't believe the gear you guys have these days, its allot different than my Nam days, looking at the new weapons makes me want to be back in.
    I can imagine that's how some of the old salts in WWI and WWII thought about our gear.
    I also agree about the press should not be out of there. There's way too much information out there day to day. People back home still don't know what its like if they have never been in. I think it hurts us also by everyone knowing what were doing day by day.

At the time I didn't like it taking so long for letters to reach home and get to us in my Nam days but I'm glad my parents didn't know what was going on all the time. Also I'm glad we didn't know what was going on in the states on how everyone felt about the war, it was hard enough coming home to what we did.

When my dad came home from WWII there were ticker tape parades and everyone welcomed him home. That's what I expected but never happened.
    But all you Marines remember we do appreciate your service for our Country and will Welcome You Home!

Semper Fi Redman1

Well might as well give a sitrep. In the process of getting out of here, don't know exactly when but I hope to be home by Oct. 23rd.

Lcpl Hayes, I was searching through google for some info on UMCC because I'm creating my resume. I stumbled upon your posts and was surprised to see that you are with CLB-4. I was with the first deploying CLB-4 unit in 07' -08' and I just so happened to work UMCC as well.

We were in Al-Asad which I hear is now no longer loaded with Americans. (Not sure about the validity of this) I was a supply guy by trade and the powers that be decided to stick me in with the S-3 and boy did it suck. Working 15 hour days and never given a chance to get out on a convoy or two.

I just want to let you know that even though the job may not be favorable and you are hopefully back safe in Oki, THANK YOU.

Thread Information