Iraq / Afghanistan Today.
Create Post
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Iraq / Afghanistan Today.

I had talked it over with a few members about making this thread.

This thread is basically for anyone who.. Is, has been, going to or just curious about what its like over here in Iraq / Afghanistan Today.

A lot has changed throughout the years.

This is a place where anyone can come to ask questions about Iraq / Afghanistan or speak freely and tell their war stories or just give a tale about something crazy they might have done to beat the boredom!

Also a place where Marines such as myself can keep in contact with the world back home and get some motivation and stay positive while were out here serving with the best.

Lets keep it professional and courteous. Remember your OPSEC as well!!!

Sincerely,

Credits
    Savings
    ALSO!!! Feel Free to Post any pictures you may have of your tour of duty!!!!!!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good job LCpl Hayes
    Look forward to hearing from all of you
    Remember your training and cover each others back
    All of us back home support you now and when you come back you will get a Big Welcome Home Marine and it won't take twenty years either.
    Look forward to seeing pictures also
    Semper Fi Redman1

Credits
    Savings
    Much appreciated Redman! I'll be the first to admit that the day I hit these forums and started talking with everyone it made life her so much more tolerable. It's a great way to keep myself busy out here keep the folks back home updated and helps pass the time when im bored as hell haha. I watch for new post like a hawk!

Semper Fi

LCpl Hayes:

I commend your initiative and thoughtfulness in this gesture.

I am middle-aged, cranky, and often times opinionated and critical of our leaders and their decisions, but I have a undying commitment to Marine's (especially) and all of our military branches.

While I have life in my heart and breath in my lungs, I will forever support you magnificent humans called Marine's...anytime, anywhere, anyplace.

Thank you...

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good Morning LCpl Hayes,
    Great thread to start !!! My Thoughts and Prayers are always with my Fellow Brothers and Sisters over there. Anytime you want to chat or need some Moto, we are here. Keep your azz safe and keep us up to date.
    Tell everyone that we said hello and Thank you!!!!
    Semper Fi My Brother,

Rocky

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you to ALL of you over there! It's great that we have the internet and you guys can keep in touch with the REAL world. Just as generations before you blazed the path for you, you are now blazing a path for future generations.

I only have one request..................write my name (Kim) on a round before you send it down range. K?

Credits
    Savings
    Once again I cannot express my appreciation for all your motivation and support. Currently were getting some prtty bad sandstorms right now. Starting to pick up every hour! A little bit of sand never stopped me though haha.

A little information about myself: Im currently with Combat Logistics Battalion 4 H&S Co. Primarily stationed on Okinawa, JPN. My MOS is 0612 Field Wireman, my secondary is 0614 ULCS Switchboard Operator Maintainer. Pretty much I run all the lines for phones, computers such as Fiber Optic and all that good stuff. (Communications PLT) Our current tour of duty is 7 months, (6 months now) and we should be returning somewhere in the September range of this year. Although there has been talk of us extending until January because we havnt found someone to replace us yet!!

Iraq itself is still a dangerous country. There are many freelance terrorist still actively sabotaging US Forces. Before I had got out here I had heard from fellow marines that had done the tours before that the war was over here and now were just sitting around. Well this time has been different.
    I work in the UMCC now as a radio operator pretty much for the Intel guys and such. And it's almost if were being attacked every day.

Ive seen mortars hit short of 100 yards hit near my shop On base. Of course that didnt stop me from enjoying my cigarette haha. The worst out here are the IED's that are laying around the roads here everywhere!

Recently a close friend of mine was the Vehicle Commander for a convoy heading to a FOB outside base. They had rolled right beside a hidden IED and blew his truck to shreds. He took some shrapnel to his face which had blown through the glass. It occured to me then that this place is still the real deal. Needless to say hes okay now, still shaken up it but no one was killed thank god.

People in the media say that this war is over in Iraq and we should just move to Afghanistan. On first hand accounts I call that bull**** in everyway. This war has just started to begin again.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    Thank you to ALL of you over there! It's great that we have the internet and you guys can keep in touch with the REAL world. Just as generations before you blazed the path for you, you are now blazing a path for future generations.

I only have one request..................write my name (Kim) on a round before you send it down range. K?
    Haha will do. Ive got enough of them. Every Marine he has been issued a full combat load of 180 rounds with 1 full magazine loaded at all times. Im sure I can sharpie your name on one of them!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LCpl Have you checked out my thread Cowboy Up?
    What's a day like from start to finish over there?
    Do you go out on patrols and then come back to home base?
    That's what I did in Nam, we would go out for days and then return to home base
    Also are there any Marines in your unit that are Masons, or Shrine?
    Semper Fi Redman1

Credits
    Savings
    Were not involved into to many patrols. We do have a roaming Camp Guard outside the base though. The grunts and recon usually take the rest. And our security company for the battalion is out with every convoy locked and loaded.

A typical day for myself consist of working 12 hour shifts everyday as a radio operator for the convoys traveling outside the bases. I usually get up and have a nice shower which are in seperate trailers outside, pretty nice actually. Get my routine Marine Corps shave out of the way and then head off to the chow hall to get prett much a full course meal at any time of the day. We have breakfeast, lunch, dinner and Midrats. The chow hall is probably one of the biggest buildings on base. After that we have a small Internet Cafe that Ill go to to upload some pictures on my laptop, talk to the family and the girlfriend back on Oki. Other than that its pretty much Eat Work Sleep.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by redman1 View Post
    Also are there any Marines in your unit that are Masons, or Shrine?
    Semper Fi Redman1
    Are you referring to Free Masons?
    Im not quite sure about any in my unit specifically in other units there are a few. My grandfather himself is a mason.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Interesting,
    So what kind of chow?
    Sounds like its not much worse than Oki.
    Even our home base wasn't much in Nam our showers when we got them were bags or drums filled with water.
    How do the locals treat you and are you happy with the progress?
    How do your fellow Marines feel about the Obama admin?
    How do they handle security with all the cell phones and computers these days?
    They used to monitor our pictures we sent home.
    All talks home you would have to stand in a long line and talk through ham operators if you were lucky.
    My grandma dies while I was over there and I didn't find out until two months later.
    I also chose not to say how it really was so as not to worry family back home
    I really don't understand how it could be safe
    When I was in Nam I kept my thought on what I was there for and blocked out home and my wife. Don't know if I could handle all this communication these days. I liked doing my 13 mos and being done with it. Then all my energy could focus on home and pussy.
    Don't mean to ask so many questions but I'm interested to really know how it is from the so called horses mouth.
    Be sure to give a big OOHRAH to your fellow Marines
    Semper Fi Redman1

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Iraq/Afghanistan Today

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    Are you referring to Free Masons?
    I'm not quite sure about any in my unit specifically in other units there are a few. My grandfather himself is a mason.
    Yep
    If you know any tell them that Redman1 said he was a travelling man also.
    They will know what I mean.
    Keep it real and scratch Marine84 name on that round she needs it and while your at it there a few of us that wouldn't mind the favor also
    Semper Fi Redman1

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by redman1 View Post
    Interesting,
    So what kind of chow?
    Sounds like its not much worse than Oki.
    Even our home base wasn't much in Nam our showers when we got them were bags or drums filled with water.
    How do the locals treat you and are you happy with the progress?
    How do your fellow Marines feel about the Obama admin?
    How do they handle security with all the cell phones and computers these days?
    They used to monitor our pictures we sent home.
    All talks home you would have to stand in a long line and talk through ham operators if you were lucky.
    My grandma dies while I was over there and I didn't find out until two months later.
    I also chose not to say how it really was so as not to worry family back home
    I really don't understand how it could be safe
    When I was in Nam I kept my thought on what I was there for and blocked out home and my wife. Don't know if I could handle all this communication these days. I liked doing my 13 mos and being done with it. Then all my energy could focus on home and pussy.
    Don't mean to ask so many questions but I'm interested to really know how it is from the so called horses mouth.
    Be sure to give a big OOHRAH to your fellow Marines
    Semper Fi Redman1
    The chow ranges from steak to lobster tail, spaghetti and meatalls, soups salads hamurgers, anything you can thin of they have it. Havnt eat this well in years haha! Gotta do extra crunches every night just to make sure i dont get fat!

The locals here are very quiet. The mojority of the base is run by the Ugandins who provided security at all the establishments (chow hall, px)
    The ugandin females run the PX and there very nice. The Iraqi men run the barber shop and give some great haircuts haha. There are all pretty nice guys. Then theres the camp service iraqis that dont say anything just clean the heads and whatnot. Personally I think were making steady progress. Democracy cant be forced on a country all at once.

Every Marine that I have met including myself are all supporters of Obama.
    Im very happy with his administration, its just starting to begin. Of course theres going to be some things that people wont agree with but I see it as this country is finally starting to accept change. People arnt as close minded as they use to be.

As for satellite phones and computers every marine is given about 100 briefs in OPSEC or opporational Security. Any classified or secret DoD information can never be exposed of course. Pretty much its just common sense. If your ass exposes something that you shouldnt have, well the DoD along with the Marine Corps is gonna have your ass "pushing" for a long ****ing time if you get what I mean..

With modern technology today, webcams, computer mics and all msg programs such as this its easy to keep in contact 24/7. I usually get my mom on the webcam every other night. Theres tons of computers here provided with internet at an Internet cafe that we have. So keeping in touch is no problem. These days its nearly enforced for you to keep in touch back home because the Marine Corps doesnt want to deal with your mom calling the BN Sgt. Major and asking why she hasnt heard from her son or daughter. (Mothers will find a way....trust me I know) haha

Back when I was first setting in on Oki i hadnt called my mom in awhile because I was so busy with all the new changes. Well go figure my mom found my recruiter and ended up Getting my BN Sgt. Majors phone number in OKINAWA!....needless to say she called him and within 20 minutes he called my shop and my sgt answered the phone..talked a bit and hung up. My Sgt says to me...Hayes you need to call your damn mom......and it be in your best interest to tell her to not call the Sgt Major anymore hahahaha

Thread Information