I'm switching services and Forfeiting rank...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question I'm switching services and Forfeiting rank...

I'll be an E-5 when my enlistment ends with 6 yrs in the Air Force and i'm giving that up because around my first year and a half of being in here I realized that I made a mistake. The Air Force is not what I was meant to do so now that I have the opportunity I'm doing something about it. I'm enlisting in the Marines, what I believe is my true calling and I was hoping someone could give me a little information. Being that my time in service will not be sacraficed in the move I'll be an E-3 through bootcamp and my school, now once I get to my first duty station how will I be promoted? I'm just curious becaue I'll be an E-3 with 6yrs time in service. How long will I be looking at roughly before I can be an NCO again?

V/r,
    A SrA, hopeful future grunt

Depends on how many trips you make to the Chow Hall.

1. Fill out your profile.
    2. Who told you that you'll be a LCpl in bootcamp?

We had a recruit that was a sgt in the army and graduated as an Lcpl.

If you don't have an extensive school or an MOS where promotion depends on mastery of the MOS, I don't see why you wouldn't pick up Cpl in a year, unless your command "non-recs" you until they feel your proficient enough in your job. Provided you have the right composite score, that is.

I'm not sure how they would calculate your TIS, though. Wether or not your AF TIS counts.

Good for you. Do you think you're impressing a bunch of Marines by forfeiting AF rank?

Keep in mind, a Lance Corporal has more responsibility than a SSGT in the Air Force.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    True you do not forfeit your time in service but you do forfeit your time in grade and start over with that. Among many other things TIG is an important part of eligibility for promotion to Cpl.

I don't think he's trying to "impress anyone with his af rank" I think he's just giving you background info. And it all depends on your MOS and your cutting score. It's impossible to say how long it will take for you to pick up Cpl.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just a heads up, in my MCT platoon, there was former Air Force SSgt transferred over to the Marine Corps and he was PFC when he shipped out to MOS school. You can't be guaranteed LCpl out of Recruit Training.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ah, and read the sticky "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN ASK A MARINE." The first thing on there is to fill out your profile.

BR34,

The

Credits
    Savings
    If you want to be a Marine, go for it! Keep in mind we hack alot harder than the Air Force, and with that six years you are benefit for something. Your time in service will help you get promote faster in addition with PFT score and riffle qual. score.

That last post was on accident

Old Marine- Roger that Sir, I take care of myself so that won't be a problem. I lead by example.

BR34- The recruiter I spoke with told me because of the college I have and my experience I have already I would be LCpl in bootcamp.

Alisium- I appreciate the info.

Richerich- I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'll earn my respect thanks. What exactly makes a LCpl in the Marines have more responsibility? Shoot me some examples.

Bulkyker- The recruiter told me I wasn't losing time in grade, unless he's just telling me what I want to hear, thanks for the info I appreciate it.

JRob629 and Jungholee90 good info thanks for the help guys.

I was actually in MCT with a Marine who was prior Air Force (E5). She had been to Iraq and back--the whole shabang. She was a mortician or something in the AF, and recovering bodies was her primary mission in Iraq.

...She wore only one stripe out of boot camp.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Not even close to the same thing as NJP but there is a comparison to be drawn on the TIG thing. If you get busted from Lance to PFC then your time in grade for PFC starts that day. It is not cumulative. Now if you go from AF E-5 to boot as a contract PFC and you complete boot camp, your time in grade as a PFC started the day you stepped on the yellow foot prints. TIG as a AF Sgt or SSgt, or whatever the AF calls E-5, counts for not in the Marine Corps.

Your TIS is probably going to max you out on pay too.

Thread Information