Can you graduate bootcamp as a Lance Corporal? - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
    I got out of boot with an XGI, he graduated as an E4.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Silverdollar, but an E-4 back then would have been a Sergeant, correct? Just wondering, because I think I read that "Lance Corporal" wasn't established until 1958.

Regardless, a Marine will never come out of boot camp today as anything higher than an E-3, even with prior service.

Yes, E4 was buck sgt. the doggie was equal to gunny(E6) while in the Army.

well,Im prior service and I have a degree...and the highest rank ill be looking at
    'upon graduation from recruit training' is E3....Im enlisting under CEP program...

You might look at E-3 but chances are, you won't be receiving it upon graduation. The highest you're guarunteed to get is E-2 with that degree.

Which brings me to my question...Why aren't you just going through OCS instead of boot camp?

If you qualify for PFC for college credits (don't know exact minimum), and also get your two referrals would you graduate with LCpl. Anyone know off hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    I was the Big Gear (whiskey locker) recruit. I deserved a NAM for all the Lysol and Brasso I handed out haha!
    Amen to that. Big gear sucked except in the mornings... Occasionally (not really thanks to DGardner) it got me out of getting our morning quarterdecking sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by JWG View Post
    If you qualify for PFC for college credits (don't know exact minimum), and also get your two referrals would you graduate with LCpl. Anyone know off hand?
    I don't think so. Good question, but I sincerely doubt it. I think if you already have contract PFC, and you pick up your two referrals while in the DEP, the Corps would give you a pat on the back, or maybe a tee-shirt. I've never heard of someone getting LCPL for this.

However, if you are a contract PFC, and you get Recruiter's Assistance after boot camp, if you get a certain number of contracts (I think two or three), then yes you will be promoted to LCPL.

I can't say for certain but I don't believe so, at least not at bootcamp. I think once you graduate as a PFC, you'll have to wait until you get to MCT/SOI before they'll promote you again for the referals. I never saw or heard of that happening when I was a DI.

Only one Marine each graduating class gets LCpl if the DI decides and that is the Company Honorman.

Oddly, I am actually kind of relieved. I didn't want to get too much rank right out of boot. I want to earn it, especially when it comes time to hit the Fleet like others have said. I don't want to be leading a Marine who is no longer "green" to the Corps when I still am. I can see the tension that arises there, and respect that.

Part of being a good leader is remembering that even though you may outrank someone, they may have more experience and it would be in your best interest to seek their guidance if you're in a billet like that.

Just because you outrank someone doesn't always mean you're correct and a lot of Marines seem to think it's the other way around. I've had my run-in's with senior SNCO's and officers who think it's their way or the highway when a simple question is all it takes sometimes to stop and make someone think.

And don't worry about picking up rank too fast. The Marine Corps will promote you as it sees fit and if you have competant leadership, they will make sure you have the tools to succeed in your task.

Just remember what you're taught and don't be affraid to ask questions if you don't know. The worst thing in this world is a Marine in charge who doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JWorkDI View Post
    Part of being a good leader is remembering that even though you may outrank someone, they may have more experience and it would be in your best interest to seek their guidance if you're in a billet like that.

Just because you outrank someone doesn't always mean you're correct and a lot of Marines seem to think it's the other way around. I've had my run-in's with senior SNCO's and officers who think it's their way or the highway when a simple question is all it takes sometimes to stop and make someone think.

Good to go, thank you for that advice. I will heed that and use it if I am so lucky to earn the Title.

I was told that you DO become a LCpl if you get 2 referrals in DEP if you are starting out as a PFC. I would be going in as a PFC due to college credits and my recruiter tells me to try and get a few people to join so that I can make LCpl...

Quote Originally Posted by dpd951 View Post
    I was told that you DO become a LCpl if you get 2 referrals in DEP if you are starting out as a PFC. I would be going in as a PFC due to college credits and my recruiter tells me to try and get a few people to join so that I can make LCpl...
    Ehh, I guess it's possible, I've just never really heard of it happening. I guess that would give a few poolees some motivation to get a few contracts. I guess it makes sense, in terms of recruiting.

Well, in that case we will see what happens. I could care less about rank because at the moment all that matters is the Title of Marine. But, as long as I follow SSgt Workman's advice to never let rank outweigh experience and advice it should be good to go.

Thread Information