Need to increase pull-up reps
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Need to increase pull-up reps

I have the "Perfect Pull-up" bar. Just wanting to know will I get more benefit from doing the mid row & Australian pull-ups or doing flex arm hang?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I've found regular pull ups work just fine.
    I went from 2 to 14 since Thanksgiving...

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you can't get to a pull up bar, I also hear that one of those overhead pull down machines is a good substitute.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Go to your local sporting goods store, buy 2 of those 5 lb. ankle weights that attach with velcro, hang from your bar, straight pull ups only for six days like that, on the 7th day don't use them and you shall see your increase.

Semper Fi,

Rocky

Just do regular dead hang pullups, thats what you do on the IST/PFT.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, really like the weights idea.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WAGGZ View Post
    Thanks, really like the weights idea.

You are Welcome!!!

Rocky

Do them as fast as you can. The moment you slow down or stop to hang you are wasting energy.

I went into boot camp doing 15 pullups, came out doing 25, and spent my entire active duty doing 20+.

I've noticed that Pyramid rep style for pull-ups has been very successful for me and other friends of mine who are poolees. Do regular pull-ups starting at 6 or so, then go down to one then back up to 6. In between pull-ups you should drop and do push ups or crunches of about 10-20 so no matter what your getting a good workout. Also it depends on if/when you start struggling to adjust the max last set up or down. When you can do a pyramid work out from beginning to end without help or assistance step up the max.

Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    Do them as fast as you can. The moment you slow down or stop to hang you are wasting energy.

I went into boot camp doing 15 pullups, came out doing 25, and spent my entire active duty doing 20+.
    He's right. Speed helps just make sure when you practice you're going down all the way. They wont count them if you dont.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Good to hear you have a pull-up bar, that's a great step in the right direction. What I did was just do them every night before I went to bed. Started out at 6 and increased as I went along. Form is the most important, only a few perfect ones are better then several sh***y ones. The tip my Sgt. gave me was to drop quickly because this will use less energy and ensures that your elbows lock. I worked my way up that way, 30 is now my personal best. Stick with it every night or day, and don't give yourself a break it's harder to do it after missing a day.

Good luck!

While we're on the subject...

I purchased a pull-up bar a while ago and have been doing a really good pull-up program for a couple of months now. However, because I had to place the bar in my closet doorway I can't get a full dead hang pull-up. The only place I can do "real" pull-ups is at the gym and I can only make it there on saturdays. So, should I even bother with pull-ups at home? I do feel that it has helped me with the dead hang pull-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by fox223 View Post
    I purchased a pull-up bar a while ago and have been doing a really good pull-up program for a couple of months now. However, because I had to place the bar in my closet doorway I can't get a full dead hang pull-up. The only place I can do "real" pull-ups is at the gym and I can only make it there on saturdays. So, should I even bother with pull-ups at home? I do feel that it has helped me with the dead hang pull-ups.
    Yes, you should bother with them at home as often as possible and while you're as fresh as possible. Unless you're 4,000 feet tall you should be able to hang from most "doorgym" style pull up bars, bend the knees and get as close to a full dead-hang as possible.

It provides better crossover than a lat-pulldown machine.

Thread Information