Aviation Electronics Technition
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1

    Aviation Electronics Technition

    Hello Marines and fellow poolees.

    I tried searching for my MOS here. Does anyone have any information on this MOS? From the information I gathered...

    BA- Aviation Electronics Technition
    5900 Electronics Maintenance
    6300/6400 Aviation Electronics
    6600 Aviation Logistics

    So what would really help is Where the MOS school is located? and What is the basics?


    Thank you.


  2. #2
    I'm a 5974. MOS school is in 29 Palms, CA. 6300/6400 school is in Pensacola, Fl.


  3. #3
    I worked with a bunch of 5937/5939s at my last unit. There is only about three units they can be stationed at in the Corps, so it is a very tight group. Don't expect to fly or even work directly with aircraft/equipment, you will be in the wing but far far away from all the aircraft. They went to school in beautiful 29 Palms, same as I did.


  4. #4
    If you're going to go airwing (I was 6332) make sure that your priorities are around 80/20 as far as technical work/actually being a Marine....sorry if this is discouraging but I wish someone would have told me. You can be gungho, runn a 285 pft and shoot expert, but you could have a fat, *****in, corporal telling you what to do. The squadron needs quality technicians and everything else is a FAR second. I'm just saying it's next to impossible to stay motivated. I'm probably going to go back in 0311 and take my lumps. I want the rest of my career to be different. It is all about the perspective though. The Corps needs these positions (6300) filled, and your job is important, and you might find that you love the job and doing and that pting twice a year, shooting a rifle once a year, and occasional inspections is enough to leave you fulfilled.


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost3000 View Post
    I'm a 5974. MOS school is in 29 Palms, CA. 6300/6400 school is in Pensacola, Fl.

    Wrong. I'm 5900 in Pensacola sitting on the ****ter in my barracks room as I'm typing this lol. The corps does it differently now. If you're aviation the number doesn't matter until you get stranded up at your basic MOS school. We all take ATT then go to either O strand, I strand, or AE. From there you go to a C school for your specific aircraft which can be anywhere. The numbers exist only for organizational purposes and are subject to change once you are done with ATT. From what I've been told 5900 is mostly ground electronics related to the aviation field, such as MATC. But I'm probably going to AE with an O strand C school for F-18's. It really all depends.


    As for the school and base here, it sucks. They have a rope around our balls so tight its hard to breathe. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you are going to have a car or you can be out all weekend and weeknights as long as youre back to class the next day. Not how it works. Recruiter told me that **** and was dead ****in wrong. Don't count on having a chance to get a car till you hit the fleet, unless you get MATC. It's an Aviation C school and its 9 months long. Pensacola itself is a nice enough town, but expensive as **** cause to go downtown to like the mall or the beach will cost you a 15-20 dollar taxi cab fare there. Then back. You have to sign out with a minimum of 2 other people to leave base or to go around base in proper civilian attire. From what I hear if you go to 29 stumps, it's not AS bad. But then again its still a desert. The women here are hot as well, but thats only good if you're single. Or if you're taken and just a ****bag. Either or. Our command likes NJP's. Alot. But hes switching over to court martials for alot of stuff now to get the message across. Anything else you'd like to know about wonderful NAS Pensacola I'm a PM away.


  6. #6
    I've worked with 6694's. They were basically computer techs like me, 0651


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneTheWeak View Post
    Wrong. I'm 5900 in Pensacola sitting on the ****ter in my barracks room as I'm typing this lol. The corps does it differently now. If you're aviation the number doesn't matter until you get stranded up at your basic MOS school. We all take ATT then go to either O strand, I strand, or AE. From there you go to a C school for your specific aircraft which can be anywhere. The numbers exist only for organizational purposes and are subject to change once you are done with ATT. From what I've been told 5900 is mostly ground electronics related to the aviation field, such as MATC. But I'm probably going to AE with an O strand C school for F-18's. It really all depends.


    As for the school and base here, it sucks. They have a rope around our balls so tight its hard to breathe. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you are going to have a car or you can be out all weekend and weeknights as long as youre back to class the next day. Not how it works. Recruiter told me that **** and was dead ****in wrong. Don't count on having a chance to get a car till you hit the fleet, unless you get MATC. It's an Aviation C school and its 9 months long. Pensacola itself is a nice enough town, but expensive as **** cause to go downtown to like the mall or the beach will cost you a 15-20 dollar taxi cab fare there. Then back. You have to sign out with a minimum of 2 other people to leave base or to go around base in proper civilian attire. From what I hear if you go to 29 stumps, it's not AS bad. But then again its still a desert. The women here are hot as well, but thats only good if you're single. Or if you're taken and just a ****bag. Either or. Our command likes NJP's. Alot. But hes switching over to court martials for alot of stuff now to get the message across. Anything else you'd like to know about wonderful NAS Pensacola I'm a PM away.
    Hillarious, when i first got there we were allowed to buy vehicles. This fellow newbie told me about this wonderfull place that you could get a car guaranteed like he did. I think we all know how this story goes. 26% interest later...we'll you get the picture. They command sent down some kind of order saying that we had to get approval from...a staff nco if I remember right??? ....before we could purchase a car and bring it on base. After I was already dumb enough to get screwed. ...I don't know if they still do it but there was some kind of deal where the fresh lt's who didn't know what they were doing got a chance to lead a bunch of newbie enlisted that didn't know what they were going. They would run our asses off though...good times


  8. #8
    Col. Thomas put an end to that ****. Unless you're an MATC Marine or this a duty station for you, no POV's. However there is a Sergeant here that's currently enrolled in ATT, and I doubt they told HIM he couldn't have a POV. Probably be a little hard to make an NCO take that on his second term of enlistment and expect a smile out of him. The reason only MATC gets a POV is because they're the only ones here who are here for over 6 months, supposedly... Cause there's a lance corporal who left a month ago who was here for over 2 years on Med Hold. Oh, but, the navy gets a POV. Once they've been here 4 weeks they get to go out, on there own, all weekend, friday to sunday, without signing out with other sailors, and get a POV, if they want.

    A were all grown men and women they say, and more responsible. Bah, big green weanie strikes again, I'm gettin mad just talking about it lol


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneTheWeak View Post
    Wrong. I'm 5900 in Pensacola sitting on the ****ter in my barracks room as I'm typing this lol. The corps does it differently now. If you're aviation the number doesn't matter until you get stranded up at your basic MOS school. We all take ATT then go to either O strand, I strand, or AE. From there you go to a C school for your specific aircraft which can be anywhere. The numbers exist only for organizational purposes and are subject to change once you are done with ATT. From what I've been told 5900 is mostly ground electronics related to the aviation field, such as MATC. But I'm probably going to AE with an O strand C school for F-18's. It really all depends.


    As for the school and base here, it sucks. They have a rope around our balls so tight its hard to breathe. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you are going to have a car or you can be out all weekend and weeknights as long as youre back to class the next day. Not how it works. Recruiter told me that **** and was dead ****in wrong. Don't count on having a chance to get a car till you hit the fleet, unless you get MATC. It's an Aviation C school and its 9 months long. Pensacola itself is a nice enough town, but expensive as **** cause to go downtown to like the mall or the beach will cost you a 15-20 dollar taxi cab fare there. Then back. You have to sign out with a minimum of 2 other people to leave base or to go around base in proper civilian attire. From what I hear if you go to 29 stumps, it's not AS bad. But then again its still a desert. The women here are hot as well, but thats only good if you're single. Or if you're taken and just a ****bag. Either or. Our command likes NJP's. Alot. But hes switching over to court martials for alot of stuff now to get the message across. Anything else you'd like to know about wonderful NAS Pensacola I'm a PM away.
    Your mos school doesn't sound half as bad as mine at 29 Palms. No, we didn't have cars either, but if we wanted to go out into town, it would cost us at least $75 to pay for a taxi ONE-WAY! The nearest town was 30 miles out, Yucca Valley, and probably the best part about it is it had a Walmart and a small movie theater. For mos school (I'm actually an 0621 not a 5939), we were known as boot camp bravo. We had white glove inspections every week, we march to school/chow/everywhere as a class, and best of all, we raked the dirt every day. I can't count how many hours I stood fire-watch at the barracks, 4 hour shifts of constantly walking up and down the decks- any time we weren't in class we were available for fire-watch (7 posts manned 24/7). We had the buddy program too, couldn't go anywhere on base or off without a buddy. Actually, we had it broken down even further. The first two weeks, we could not leave the barracks; the first 5 weeks, we couldn't leave the base; it wasn't until the 6th week we could go off base for the weekends to Yucca Valley with a libo buddy. Oh, and we played games too (they didn't call us boot camp bravo for nothing). Endless: 'get in my classroom' 'get out of my classroom' 'get in my classroom' 'get out of my classroom' good, you don't want to sound off 'get in my classroom' 'take your seat' nope, not fast enough ' stand up' 'sit down' ok good, you don't want to sound off 'stand up' 'sit down' 'stand up' 'sit down' SOUND OFF!

    If you like running up soft sandy hills all morning, 29 Palms is the place to be- God Bless you Sugar-Cookie Hill! It got pretty cold up there during the winter months, I clearly recall standing in formation at 0530 and waiting 45 minutes for the instructors to show up. We were not allowed to wear sweats, but the instructors were. The only Marine who wasn't shivering was the one from Alaska... it was like that every PT session. Oh yea, and we had our fair share of NJPs. We actually had a public/mass NJP once, all the classes stood in formation while 6-7 Marines marched up to the CO and explained their actions- they all got their punishments handed down to them right then and there in front of the formations.

    So when you talk about how bad you have it in Florida, sorry, but I think you have it pretty skate. Count your blessings and know that there are plenty of Marine who have it worse.


    Semper Fidelis


  10. #10
    I couldnt believe when I went back for a B school and I had to be part of boot camp bravo. I was a Delta company when I was in training.


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    Your mos school doesn't sound half as bad as mine at 29 Palms. No, we didn't have cars either, but if we wanted to go out into town, it would cost us at least $75 to pay for a taxi ONE-WAY! The nearest town was 30 miles out, Yucca Valley, and probably the best part about it is it had a Walmart and a small movie theater. For mos school (I'm actually an 0621 not a 5939), we were known as boot camp bravo. We had white glove inspections every week, we march to school/chow/everywhere as a class, and best of all, we raked the dirt every day. I can't count how many hours I stood fire-watch at the barracks, 4 hour shifts of constantly walking up and down the decks- any time we weren't in class we were available for fire-watch (7 posts manned 24/7). We had the buddy program too, couldn't go anywhere on base or off without a buddy. Actually, we had it broken down even further. The first two weeks, we could not leave the barracks; the first 5 weeks, we couldn't leave the base; it wasn't until the 6th week we could go off base for the weekends to Yucca Valley with a libo buddy. Oh, and we played games too (they didn't call us boot camp bravo for nothing). Endless: 'get in my classroom' 'get out of my classroom' 'get in my classroom' 'get out of my classroom' good, you don't want to sound off 'get in my classroom' 'take your seat' nope, not fast enough ' stand up' 'sit down' ok good, you don't want to sound off 'stand up' 'sit down' 'stand up' 'sit down' SOUND OFF!
    Pensacola is a really nice base. It's just the policy thing. He's AMS-2 (and btw, to the original post you will be in AMS-2 when you get to Pensacola for MOS school - AMS2 is Avionics and electronics stuff. AMS1 is Airframe, Powerplant, Aircrew, AS/GSE, PR/AME), and I'm in AMS-1 and we got it even worse than them. All the Marines getting in troubles literally every night, just imagine group of drunk Marines with sailors and airmen... It's almost same thing with 29 Palms except the raking sand and that stupid game part. Our liberty policy goes Red, Yellow, Green, and FINALLY Blue-unrestricted overnight on weekend (just came out we've been waiting for this for about 2 months now.) We have to check out with 2 buddies and all that stuff.

    AMS-1 Duty Section is just chaos. We have 4 duty section rotating everyday and every weekend. Formation 1745 to who knows, we have about 100 in each duty section and we do the muster, then we fill out post roster that goes from 1800 to 1800. We have 17 posts rotating every 3 hours (H Barracks - ID, Phone, 5 Wings, 1 Female Wing, 2 Outside Rover, 1 Deck Rover // G Barracks - ID, Deck Rover // 602 Barracks - ID, Deck Rover, 2 Outside Rover) plus daytime we have 2 schoolhouse ID watch... G Barracks is Air Force barracks and I don't know why we do their posts. lol. After post roster we do the cleaning part, so it's usually at least an hour just standing in formation. Then if SDO wants to be an @ss they make us form back up outside and take muster. It's hell on the days you have duty section, and imagine us fighting over who gets duty on 72/96 weekends, lol. I thought we didn't have any firewatch stuff after MCT.. but nope! It just gets better haha.

    And retread09, yes we still do have indoc leaders, deck leaders, duty section leaders, post nazi, barrack support leaders, etc. who are all brand new Privates and PFCs who's been here maybe 2-3 months, and we play that stupid "who's been here longer (even if it's just a week) games." That's also part of the reason why the formations and musters take forever, lol. And then one day a PFC who was becoming a LCpl appointed as indoc leader thought he was the hot s*** and got NJP'd and counseled for hazing not so long ago.


  12. #12
    Angelo and Jung beat me to it. Whatever they said applied. I'm AMS-2 (6300, I strand). Been here since October...only TWO WEEKS into my 4 month long A school. If I get MATC, I'm going UA, I don't care.


  13. #13
    Today we had a "suicide prevention class" that cut into our lunch break by about 30 minutes. Apparently, NAS Pensacola has a high suicide rate, which doesn't surprise me.

    The whole brief was about how REAL Marines don't quit on life and commit suicide, because that would be of great cost to our economy, which has spent over half a million bucks training you. Burn it off at the gym and talk to your Sergeants, the same Sergeants that assign 17 different 4-8 posts and have us police call everything from the beach up to the Mega Building.


  14. #14
    There is a difference between being in a sh!tty situation and wanting to commit suicide. Once you spend some time in the fleet, you will see that suicide is a big deal in the Corps (and you will have plenty of suicide prevention classes as well). Mos instructors aren't very helpful, but hopefully you will have some good leaders in the fleet who can tell the difference between a Marine who is in a sh!tty situation and one who has some deep personal issues going on. I have heard too many stories of Marines attempting or succeeding at committing suicide, so it is a big deal. In school, if students really have personal issues going on, I would advise that they talk to a chaplain. It isn't a sign of weakness unless you are just faking it to get out of work.

    Semper Fidelis


  15. #15
    Most aviation if not all mainly goes to Pensacola,FL then to your follow up "C" school which is your actual job. Pensacola for most is a waste of time because Pensacola is not your job. Long ago when I was a boot I spent 6 months there before I went to my actual job school. Like I said PCola is fun as far being around the beach and the area, but it is NJP capital of the world!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts