Marine Dad receives an apology from American Idol family member
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marine Dad receives an apology from American Idol family member

In my thread yesterday regarding the wardrobe choice of an American Idol contestant, some of you agreed with my viewpoint, others thought it was no big deal.

I know what "daddy's little girl" went through to earn the right to call herself a Marine, and she EARNED the right to wear that uniform.

Now one of my posts on this topic receives a comment from someone who claims to be a family member.

You can read it, and my response here:

http://rightwingwizkid.blogspot.com/...ican-idol.html

While you are there, please take part in the poll I put up about this topic.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Is this really worth all the attention being paid to it, when we have two wars going on costing billions of dollars, spending out of control, common courtesy going down the drain, high school seniors who can't read or write?
    I don't know, maybe it is really important.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Just one opinion but I think a parent should just allow his or her child to serve in the Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by DHaskins8 View Post
    Is this really worth all the attention being paid to it, when we have two wars going on costing billions of dollars, spending out of control, common courtesy going down the drain, high school seniors who can't read or write?
    Well yes, I think it's important.
    You mention high schoolers who can't read or write, the death of common courtesy, etc.

What this "entertainer" did is just a symptom of some of the problems you mentioned.
    Years ago, we not only showed respect for our country and it's institutions, including the military, we held people accountable for their actions.

If a television performer was to wear a uniform as part of a talent show, and the performance had no relavance to anything related to the military, I can promise you that show would have lost most of it's sponsors due to public outcry.

I don't even want to get into what would have happened if I came home with a failing grade on my report card.

What has and continues to happen in America is that very few people are holding anyone, students, politicians, "entertainers" ect. responsible for their actions.

I'm just a small voice trying to change that.

Just one more reason to never watch that show (and I don't). By watching, we only give support to careless people like the contestant. I don't believe he gave a thought to what reaction his choice of wardrobe might be.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Generally, the more outrageous the conduct and viewpoints of entertainers, the more the general public likes them. We are just about forty years too late. We pay to watch other people do things that we disapprove of.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DHaskins8 View Post
    Agree with this post.

They may say they understand. But, like you said, they just don’t. As a Marine, I don’t ever expect him to. Unless he actually does earn the title. He did apologize. I think that’s as good as we can expect. He offended us and he apologized. What more do you want? Do you think getting kicked off the show is really an appropriate punishment? Should we continue to make Paul miserable the rest of his life? At some point we have to get over it. I got over it when he apologized. Does it still **** me off? Sure. But what are you going to do? I agree with what other people have pointed out that there are much more pressing issues we should be fighting with this much aggression. Like people who actually disrespect Marines (and every American citizen), don’t apologize and try to kill them… i.e. terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiParent View Post

I know what "daddy's little girl" went through to earn the right to call herself a Marine, and she EARNED the right to wear that uniform.
    I don't think you have any idea what "daddy's little girl" went through to earn the title and right to wear our uniform, but many here know.

I was one that posted that it was OK with me, not everyone can be a Marine. I like to see our dress blues being worn, I think we have the sharpest military uniform in the world. You see, I never got to wear them. All I got to wear were stinking, putrid, sweat stained, blood spotted, mud caked jungle utes with this red dust all over and in my very pores. Let it go daddy.

By the way, where were you back in the day?

Credits
    Savings
    I didn't see that show, don't think I've ever seen it. From what I understand the "entertainer" was wearing blues devoid of any and all insignia. So what is your problem? Maybe your daughter who actually earned the right to wear the EGA should be handling this and not you. That is if she's concerned about it at all.

Advanced ask a question I'd like answered as well. I doubt if you're old enough to have served in RVN but did you ever wear any uniform?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Like I posted in the other thread on this topic, I highly doubt that this AI contestant chose his wardrobe himself. The show, its producers, and the wardrobe coordinator chose what he wore. I think the negative attention should be directed more at the show and less at this individual. If someone should be apologizing for anything it should be a spokesperson for the show.

I guess that I am the only one that thinks SemperFiParent doesnt rate an apology anyway. Did you earn the uniform? I think you are taking this a bit too far and really need to ease back. Its not like he was impersonating a Marine nor did he represent himself as one either. Until you have been there done that I would suggest you leave the nitpicking at home and take it for what it is: Some guy wearing a military uniform to entertain the public. No need to take such offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    This is not intended to be mean-spirited, not at all, but it is a plain fact.
    Many many parents live their lives through their children. It is not good for the parents nor for the children.
    It is just plain fact, no innuendo, no accusations, no comments, just plain unadorned fact.
    It's an unhealthy part of life, and is very common.
    I think you pegged it correct here Dave, he's living through his kid. To me he is either hard hearted or just blinded.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    devilbones2, I agree with you, but I would go farther. People who don't rate the uniform but wear it, and outright posers, unless I am at a function and they are there, and it is obvious that they are posers, I can think of worse things that go on that we never say anything about.
    If some jerk hundreds of miles away wears the uniform to some function, what do I care, hundreds of miles away? We don't have the same outrage to hear that someone was stabbed to death five hundred miles away, so why does the uniform bother us so much? Our priorities are just a little bit off.
    The things we should be complaining about, we never do.
    I would have to agree with the learned gentleman. To quote the Bard "Much Ado About Nothing". Sir, if your daughter is upset about this and I have my doubts she is, then it's up to her to carry on the fight

Continue to be proud of her, support her but don't fight for her. She's more than capable of doing it for herself.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I see your point Dave but I don't think this guy was a poser. I didn't see the show but my understanding is he wore the blues without any kind of insignia. Hell he's a friggin entertainer. Probably not a very good one but he'll be gone soon, this will blow over.

Thread Information