Sad but true, I am Colorblind... - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    I just read the order currently here in Iraq for MNF-W

It specifically states contractors and terps are NOT Authorized to wear desert MARPAT...

Does that mean it doesnt happen...?? No

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    How could I forget that magical pill that cures everything!

I respect what Corpsmen do for the Corps, I just don't agree that they should be wearing our service/dress uniforms. If I was attached to an Army unit, does that mean that I can wear the Army uniforms? It has nothing to do where I'm at or how good I am at my job, if I am not in a soldier/sailor/airman/guardsman, then I do nor rate to wear their uniforms. Same concept should apply to Corpsmen, especially in the rear. Like I stated, there is no shame in taking pride in their branch of service.
    Wow! What's the issue here? Navy corpsmen attached to Marine units have been authorized to wear our dress uniforms for over 60 years. I must admit though that I've only seen them wearing greens--not blues.

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    Ok, a couple of discrepancies here for me.

First off, the MARPAT cammies can be worn in town or during travel if certain circumstances present themselves. I redeployed to CONUS from Iraq in 07 ahead of my unit so I could EAS and I flew back on civilian aircraft as it was only me and one of my Gunny's who was PCSing. Our command authorized us wearing cammies and so we flew from Kuwait to Germany to Baltimore to Denver to San Diego in our Desert Cammies and along the way, we stopped in every bar we could and you wouldn't believe the free drinks that were bought for us. I don't even remember leaving Denver...lol.

Bottom line is it is authorized for Marines returning from a combat zone.
    It is also authorized in town for emergencies only. You can't stop for gas or run into the store but you are allowed to pick your children up from day care or if your car breaks down, you are allowed to seek help or go in somewhere for assistance.

Now, to Commdog. I agree that the Navy corpsmen shouldn't be allowed to wear our dress uniforms but if you're disputing whether they should be allowed to wear our cammies, then you are wrong. These corpsman who are deployed with infantry battalions are on the front lines everyday and they need to wear the same uniform as the Marines so that they don't appear different from the Marines and become a specific target. It wouldn't take the insurgents long to figure out you shoot the guy wearing the different color uniform and then everyone else can't treat the wounded. This is the same reason we gave our interpreters desert digital cammies, so they weren't targeted specifically.

There is also a new order regarding contractors stating that if they choose to wear the desert digital cammies, they must conform to the regulations of the Marine Corps meaning they must have a proper haircut and be clean shaven. This is due to those contractors you mentioned before giving Marines a bad name.

it's not, Marines are SUPPOSED to bring a set of civies just in case they have to go home early on a civilian flight.

why you ask? 'cause wearing cammies is not authorized off base or out of the field... your command just made that up, so don't spread that rumor. They probably were just embarrassed they didn't have that on your gear list. As for you guys getting wasted while in uniform, that was against a MCO... you guys basically were fvcking up the entire way from kuwait to whereever it was you went to... great job setting an example Marine.

Now, to Commdog. I agree that the Navy corpsmen shouldn't be allowed to wear our dress uniforms but if you're disputing whether they should be allowed to wear our cammies, then you are wrong. These corpsman who are deployed with infantry battalions are on the front lines everyday and they need to wear the same uniform as the Marines so that they don't appear different from the Marines and become a specific target. It wouldn't take the insurgents long to figure out you shoot the guy wearing the different color uniform and then everyone else can't treat the wounded. This is the same reason we gave our interpreters desert digital cammies, so they weren't targeted specifically.

There is also a new order regarding contractors stating that if they choose to wear the desert digital cammies, they must conform to the regulations of the Marine Corps meaning they must have a proper haircut and be clean shaven. This is due to those contractors you mentioned before giving Marines a bad name.
    If you read my previous posts, you will find that I have agreed with this statement. I fully agree that Corpsmen should be allowed to wear our uniforms in a combat zone so that they do not stand out. I don't really think they should be wearing our cammies in the rear, but that is an issue which I do not feel like arguing. But the service and the dress uniforms I really don't think they should be wearing. Like I stated, if I was attached to an Army unit, does that mean that I can wear their dress uniforms?

I am happy to hear that there is a new order out which states that contractors wearing out cammies need to abide by our standards. When I was in Iraq, I seen way too many contractors walking around with boots unbloused, no cover on outdoors, not to mention their excessive facial hair and very untidy appearance. They looked absolutely disgusting. The only thing that they were not allowed to do with our uniform was to wear name tapes and the EGA on the boots. Otherwise, the uniform was identical to the Marine cammies. I was just hoping that all the Army soldiers on base realized that they wear contractors, not Marines... those contractors really gave us a bad name.

Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    it's not, Marines are SUPPOSED to bring a set of civies just in case they have to go home early on a civilian flight.

why you ask? 'cause wearing cammies is not authorized off base or out of the field... your command just made that up, so don't spread that rumor. They probably were just embarrassed they didn't have that on your gear list. As for you guys getting wasted while in uniform, that was against a MCO... you guys basically were fvcking up the entire way from kuwait to whereever it was you went to... great job setting an example Marine.
    You mean to tell me that you've never drank a beer or seen other Marines doing it when coming back from Iraq in either Ireland or Maine? It happens every time so don't play that "setting a bad example" card because it just ain't true.

Regarding the command authorizing the wearing of uniforms, I don't know. All I know is that I had orders in my hands signed by Col Bristol, the MHG CO stating that we could travel as we were. Regarding the civies, I've never heard of a Marine taking them with them when they deploy but maybe that was just our unit?

You mean to tell me that you've never drank a beer or seen other Marines doing it when coming back from Iraq in either Ireland or Maine? It happens every time so don't play that "setting a bad example" card because it just ain't true.

Regarding the command authorizing the wearing of uniforms, I don't know. All I know is that I had orders in my hands signed by Col Bristol, the MHG CO stating that we could travel as we were. Regarding the civies, I've never heard of a Marine taking them with them when they deploy but maybe that was just our unit?

if you were isolated and had a bar in your isolated area that was open, or you were on a base... these are ok places, but you will only be there when your entire unit goes home... as for being a few Marines who are still on orders and on duty and in uniform, these things are against MCOs. It IS setting a bad example especially when you are getting drunk enough to not remember leaving denver.... trust me on this one.

and it probably was just your unit. Many Subordinate commands and Major subordinate commands on the group side (now CLRs as the MSCs) ensure one set of civies are brought with the rest of the gear as advon leaves before the main and go on civilian flights most of the times... and there are always those red cross messages and "devil gets busted" issues.

though some don't see it as important. I do.

if you were isolated and had a bar in your isolated area that was open, or you were on a base... these are ok places, but you will only be there when your entire unit goes home... as for being a few Marines who are still on orders and on duty and in uniform, these things are against MCOs. It IS setting a bad example especially when you are getting drunk enough to not remember leaving denver.... trust me on this one.
    Fair enough.

and it probably was just your unit. Many Subordinate commands and Major subordinate commands on the group side (now CLRs as the MSCs) ensure one set of civies are brought with the rest of the gear as advon leaves before the main and go on civilian flights most of the times... and there are always those red cross messages and "devil gets busted" issues.

though some don't see it as important. I do.
    I knew most of the HQ elements that deployed for a year did because they were authorized 14 days leave somewhere in the middle but for units doing 7 months like mine, we were never to worried about it I guess? In all honesty, after my first deployment and seeing what I really needed to get by in Iraq, I packed as light as I could and would travel with only one seabag and a carry-on while laughing at the boot Lt with 3 seabags, his pack and his laptop. These are the same guys that pack their canteen cups and entire DVD collections for a trip to Al Asad or somewhere where they'll never leave base.

yeah, well I'm shocked that that boot luey didn't know he had a few quad cons he could ship a lot of his crap in... so what if it took an extra month to get there... at least you were humping it!

of all the people who would be able to stash gear on those things would be an officer.

Thread Information