Sad but true, I am Colorblind...
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Unhappy Sad but true, I am Colorblind...

It sucked finding out I was colorblind at MEPs (Red/Green). I thought about it for the past month or so and couldn't really let it leave my mind. Not only that, it gave me a real blow to my motivation. I could see like a bat in night, seriously and funny. But I can't make the difference of red/green together in dots to find the HIDDEN number. The funny thing is I could even ID objects in the pitch of darkness. Their shape and size, perhaps even a color and distance (tested myself). Nothing I could do, its genetic, my brother he's good, but me I'm the black duckling.

I wanted to have a electrician MOS, but denied. It's a field I enjoy (I do general construction and even do wiring in homes with no problem) but cannot do so in the USMC. Mainly the reason why I went with a 03xx contract, but my dreams of ever even qualifying for Sniper/Recon are slim to non.

I know Marines/Folks say get the title first and then think about the rest, but I can't. It's what my heart seeks and something innate you know about yourself. You know in a area of that nature you could best utilize yourself and your training to the maximum, I just know it (I just hope I'm not wrong like how confident I was about my well being). My biggest concern is that I won't never want to be a reliability to others because of this disorder, which only downs me.

I would know when a beautiful woman was to be standing next to me in a green/reddish dress, in a poka-dot shape style in those color patterns. But I wouldn't be able to make out the numbers in her dress if she was to say to me her number is in the patterns =( (lol go figure the odds of something like that happening to us colorblind folks).

I see the world as real and lucid as it is, colorblind or not. It only angers me that someone tells me what I see is not how it is in actuality. My only motivation at this point is just receiving the title no matter what, colorblind labeled or not. And if I have the chance for a option at my dreams, I hope I can forget this stupid label that as been put on me and move beyond it. To do my best and give everything I am made of to earn that right.

It only sucks because you feel almost handicapped by some test that has no real life bearing on your real character/abilities.

I was wondering how many others in here, Marines and poolees (whoever knows they are), were colorblind? What was it like finding out you were colorblind. What kind of dent/damage did it do to your self confidence and motivation?

thank you for reading,

Errol.

That sucks man, keep it up and earn that title, and btw bats cant see lol...

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How are you different than you were pre-MEPS?

New York,

I know what a shock it can be to have someone tell you that you are lacking in some fundamental way. But think about this: Your abilities haven't changed any since before you were given that test.

It is unfortunate that your options may be limited somewhat by the label, but that does not mean that you should cease to work toward any and all goals you might have.

I am not going to sing a chorus of Kumbaya with you, but (within limits) your handicap is what you make of it. So the Corps won't let you be an electrician, will they still let you be a Marine? I guess it's up to you, then, isn't it?

Tom.

I know a Marine in my last unit who was colorblind, he found out at MEPS as well. Funny thing is his MOS specifically states he cannot be colorblind, yet for some reason they gave it to him anyway.

Don't feel too bad, I hear that there are many colors that no human eye can see. Besides, I think if you were to complain about your color-blind issue to a legally blind person, they would whack you upside the head. It could always be worse....

Thank you Tom for the words of encouragement, being a US Marine is priority, everything else second. "Make the best of what you got"

You're absolutely right SGT as well. I have no right to be complaining or feeling pitiful of myself, it could be a lot worse like you said. What the heck if I can't see the red/green. I can definitely see that I will earn the title and keep it honorable/clean, and serve the Corps to the best of my ability.

I am thankful for what I have, I can't change what is given, only make the best of it.

Errol.

Hey New York I had the same experience I found out i was color blind at MEPS I wantedto become an MP but I cant because of colorblindness. You sound similar to me i want to be a Scout sniper also, but remember for scout sniper color blindness is discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    I know a Marine in my last unit who was colorblind, he found out at MEPS as well. Funny thing is his MOS specifically states he cannot be colorblind, yet for some reason they gave it to him anyway.

Don't feel too bad, I hear that there are many colors that no human eye can see. Besides, I think if you were to complain about your color-blind issue to a legally blind person, they would whack you upside the head. It could always be worse....

this is why i call you squared away, and sh it hot.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    this is why i call you squared away, and sh it hot.
    You damn right!

I too am colorblind. I have known it my entire life. I am still a Marine, and making the most of my career. I will soon attempt a lat-move to an MOS that is only available to NCOs lat-moving into (IE, you cannot enlist into the MOS). There are plenty of MOSs available to you, despite being colorblind.

Your post made it sound like you were dying. Being colorblind is not such a big deal. I have a buddy, he's a PFC, who is colorblind, and also one of the best, most motivated Marines I know. He literally cannot see about 75% of the colors that most people with full color vision can. A rubiks cube looks all gray to him. He makes the most of it, though, and gets as many laughs as he can. (For example: Duty NCO hands him a rubiks cube the other day, forgetting he is colorblind, and tells him to solve it. PFC turns it a few times, hands it back to the Cpl, and says "Done, Cpl. It's all gray. I win.") Just make the most of it.

I have this theory that colorblind people see the world the way it is meant to be seen, and everyone ELSE is wrong. Who are they to tell me what I see is wrong?? What gives them the right?!

Hahah anyway, don't let it get you down. There are literally hundreds of MOSs available to you still. It is not like it DQs you from enlisting.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    ...btw bats cant see lol...
    You beat me to it! I really doubt New York uses sonar when looking at objects at night...lol

I Also failed that portion at MEPS, look where im at now. Some Colors dont Mix well in my eyes apparently, and i couldnt see the damn numbers. whats stupid is they made me take off my glasses, to do it. Ok obviouslly i wasnt going to see it regardless. Anyways i just simply kept going.

I also learned of my color deficiencies at meps. Did you take the falant test? I was able to pass the falant test no problem, but for the life of me couldn't pass the plate test. If you passed the falant test, from what i've read online, you may still be eligible for recon/scout sniper. Can anyone confirm that? The funny thing about it is, after I became aware of my color vision, I went to the local eye doctor and took his tests, passing them all perfectly. Unfortunately meps wouldn't accept the paperwork from my optometrist. Anyways, good luck

um, it could be the fact that you were in a hurry.... go take the test again...

Recon Snipers whatever, you gota be a 03 first, and in the fleet. When the Indoc comes around when you hit the unit, as far as i know, Higher ups and battalion are dealing with 90 million other things and dont look in your SRB or whatever. Out of sight out of mind.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Don't let it get to you man. It is what it is. You can't change the fact that your colorblind; but you can have a positive attitude. Don't let colorblindness hinder your goal to become a Marine. Never give up. Take a look at the quote in my signature. If you really do look at everything with a positive aspect; you will succeed in life.

Stay motivated,

-Poolee Matt.

Thread Information