Boot camp no field trip for JROTC
Create Post

Exclamation Boot camp no field trip for JROTC

Boot camp no field trip for JROTC
    By TARA MANJARRES - Wed, Mar 18, 2009

BELMONT—JROTC students thought they were taking a field trip to Parris Island but as soon as the bus pulled into the marine base, drill instructors jumped onto the activity bus informing everyone they were temporary boot camp recruits.

For the next three days, South Point High School students got an up-close look at basic training, at the S.C. military base. They ate in the mess hall, ran the obstacle course, slept in barracks, and marched for hours, rising at 5 a.m. and not returning until 8 p.m.

"We thought we were just going to watch the recruits graduate," said Senior Vincent Johnson, adding he was excited to see the ceremonies as he heard they were cool. "But then the drill instructors got on the bus and told us to get off in a certain amount of time and treated us just like we were the active recruits. It was unexpected but it was actually enjoyable."

Eighteen-year-old Johnson has enlisted and is heading to the Marines on July 20. He's been in JROTC for four years but has known for much longer his path following graduation.

"I always wanted to be in the Marine Corps because it has always been my dream to serve my country," said the future U.S. Marine.

Johnson said even if students are not planning on signing up for the military, the Parris Island trip is useful.

"If you're not going to join the military it's still a good experience for you to go. It's a good leadership opportunity. Normal kids don't pay much attention to their elders, even with simple things like saying 'hello,' said Johnson, explaining they had to greet every drill sergeant they passed with a 'good morning, sir' or 'good morning, ma'm'. One of the things I learned is that basic training teaches manners. It shouldn't have to teach common courtesy but it does."

In her second year in the JROTC program, Donna Hughes also went on the field trip. One thing she took away from the simulated boot camp was how difficult it was, especially for women.

"We just had to work harder. We're not as strong and we had to do two times the work to stand at their level," said Hughes, quickly adding that she did not let the situation intimidate her.

"I saw it as a challenge," she said, confidently.

As a high school sophomore, Hughes is still contemplating her military plans but said the trip helped solidify things for her. Her father is an ex-Marine.

"I want to join the military but I'm still thinking about things. There's a lot you have to consider. But when I got there (Parris Island) I said to myself 'this is really what I want for a career.' It gave me a better idea and now I know."

The student Commanding Officer of the JROTC course is eighteen-year-old Jake Whyte, who is the class leader. He said Parris Island helped teach him that sometimes he gets to be a leader and sometimes he needs to be a follower.

"When I'm at school, I'm one of the ones in control," explained Whyte. "It had been so long since I was pushed back into a lower rank that it reminded me that it was important to sometimes see things through other cadets' eyes. When I got the chance to see what other cadets were observing and feeling, I started to see things in different ways other than what mine were."

Whyte said the sightseeing component of the trip was remarkable, especially for someone like him who hadn't yet experienced base life. But the most invaluable moment was the fact that high school students were given a hands-on opportunity.

One such real life activity involved the competence courses where student cadets took part in strategies. One particular strategy included a tire-like obstacle course, where Whyte had to assist his team across the tires that were suspended far apart in the air, without anyone touching the ground. The activity was difficult and mentally challenging, remembered Whyte.

"We've been told all of our lives to 'think before we speak or act,'" said Whyte. "I realized we had to make a plan instead of just winging it. I had to know what I was going to do and then make sure everyone else knew too. I couldn't just expect the other cadets to do their best without telling them the strategy. It really opened my eyes."

Senior Chief Jeffery Pitts helped organize the Parris Island trip along with Commander Dan Josin, who are both retired Navy, each with 23 years of service. It was the first time the school has sent students to the high school boot camp.

Pitts said they paid extra attention to the freshman who might need nurturing or guidance since for many it was their first semester in JROTC. They were less worried about the older students who had a better idea of what to expect, but everything worked out for the best.

"The Commander and myself were both amazed at how well everybody adapted," said Pitts. "They adapted very well. To sit back and watch everything unfold was really neat and was a learning opportunity for us, as well as, them. "

Ellie

I was in Navy JROTC for 4 years also. Went to 3 out of 4 of the bootcamps our regional director set up. Those bootcamps lasted a week. Even went to leadership academy 2 weeks at great lakes. Great experiance. Those of us that were i JROTC together still have tight friendships and still on occasion reminisce.

I'm in the Young Marines and I went to Parris Island for a week in August of 2008. We were asked to be treated like recruits, so that's how we got treated. We did the obstacle course (luckily for me it was the 4th battalion's course), PT in the rain under those (I forgot what they were called) huts, drilled for hours, yellow footprints, drill instructor came on the bus yelling, 5am wake up call, ate chow in the mess hall, observed the crucible, rifle range, shot an m16 but the computer stimulated way, observed the confidence course, I was a team leader one day, the sqaud leader next day, next day the guide then the day after I became the platoon sgt., we went to the museum, the PX, watched a graduation, drill, drill drill, PT, PT, PT, yelled as loud as I could, learned a lot of new things, had the time of my life, and so much more. i absolutely LOVED it there. don't get me wrong, it was extremely hard, but its amazing there. its like nothing i ever imagined. and i enlisted the month before so im extra prepared. its like a little city. the best part was definately going down the road when you first get there after going through the gaurds looking out the window at the swamps on both sides then the butterflies in your stomach start!
    i can't wait to go back in june. 20090615

Marine Family Free Member SmithAdrian's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Outside of the lingo used, this was a good read.

Basic training, and ex-marine.

I was never in JROTC so I don't really know the feeling, but this seems like it would be an amazing opportunity.

Thread Information