Shipping out 090615. Heading for MOS 06XX after boot camp and MCT. Need help please.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shipping out 090615. Heading for MOS 06XX after boot camp and MCT. Need help please.

Hello Marines,

I have a lot of questions, obviously. I have my A.A. (need upper division courses to receive my B.S.), scored a 76 on ASVAB and signed up for "BX"-Data Systems. I live in Los Angeles.

1. After boot camp and MCT (both in San Diego and Camp Pendleton), how do I go about following the right path of the networking field?

2. Will I be going to 29 Palms? If so, for how long for 0651 and 0656?

3. I know it depends on my fleet, but how what are my chances of getting deployed over seas?

4. Will I be able to request West Coast only? On what grounds?

5. Where do most of the Marines go after they have completed their MOS certification?

6. I signed up for 5X3 and want to go through the MECEP program to pursue my B.S. in Computer Science (I only need my upper division courses to be finished). How will I go about school while on active duty?

7. Could I also have time to achieve my Masters degree while in the Marine Corps?

8. How long will it take me to become an officer? Considering my status and the field I am going into.

Thank you for your help.

0651 school is 60 days long. 0656 ....I dont remember.
    I am a 0653.

And yup 29 Stumps it is. Word of advice, if some young hotty calls you up on a barracks phone number, DONT GO TO THE PARTY.

The way it worked when i was in school was class rank for picking your base. They would list all the bases that needed one of us, and then based of your class rank, they would let people pick where they want to go.

I went to MCAS Yuma assigned to MAG-13. Most of my friends ended up in Camp Pendleton.

The Marine Corps will help pay for your college up to a certain dollar amount per year, for free, once you get to the Fleet.

if you work hard enough, and stay in long enough, yes you could get a Masters.

If you are enlisting, it will take about 4 years to get to Cpl, you have to be an NCO at least to apply for MECEP.

Chance of deploying is huge. Comm is a big thing.

Thanks for the quick response.

How would I go about if I want to take all from 0651-0656?

I am enlisting as a PFC. Does that matter?

And could you possibly provide me a timeline from your commencement to the Marine Corps until now?

Most of the time, you will go to your B school right after your A school.
    So right after you you get done with the 0651 school, they will move you over to the 0656 school.

My timeline....geez...let me think.
    The day I am leaving bootcamp my recruitor had to change my MOS from 4000 to 2800. 5 year contract signed (pay attention to that part) I also enlisted as a PFC
    Bootcamp graduation: 6 DEC 2002
    MCT graduation: 17 FEB 2003
    MOS 2800 School: Feb 2003-April 2003
    Failed out of 2800 school assigned to 0651 (4000 reclassified). Now in the 06xx field with a 5 year contract while everyone else is on a 4 year contract
    0651 school: May 2003-June 2003, promoted to LCpl
    Arrived at MAG-13 MCAS YUMA, June 27 2003, working along side MALS-13 AISD
    Assigned to guard duty working with the MP's, Nov 2003-March 2004 (I think I have that date right)
    Assigned back to MALS-13 AISD, assigned responsiblity of the Defense Message System (DMS). Mar 2004-Aug 2004
    Requested schooling on DMS, assigned back to the Stumps for a month school on MOS 0653. Sept 2004-Oct 2004
    Assigned back to MALS-13 AISD (MAG-13 S-6)
    Worked as Assistant Network Manager under my Sgt from Oct 2004-Sept 2005
    Assigned to 990 shop to assist in maintaing moble facilities. Sept 2005-Mar 2006, promoted to Cpl
    Was going to be deployed to Al Asad for security duty as one of the Cpl of the Guard. Deployment yanked, assigned to Cpl's Course
    Assigned back to MALS-13 (AISD) April 2006-April 2007, NMCI was now in effect. Sat on my lazy butt for that time period.
    MAG-13 S-6 was reorganized. My Lt (0602) and I are the only Marines in this shop now till I get a PFC in June 2007. Now MAG-13 S-6 April 2007-August 2007
    Terminal Leave August 17-Sept 09 2002.

End of Active Duty.

Very interesting career. Where were you stationed throughout your term?

How long do you think I might be in 29 Palms? (rough guess)

By the way, your information is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I was stationed at the same base the entire time. Reason being I'm the only one in my MOS on the stupid base. Plus I attended some other courses that obligated me to stay the base even longer.
    I originally intended to request a move to Camp Pendleton or MCAS Miramar.

I would say you will be at 29 Palms about 4-6 months, tops. It depends on how quickly a class will open up.

I'm not sure about other schools, but at MCCES (Marine Corps Communication and Electronic School) you are in a special platoon where you go about the base cleaning and generally hanging out till a class starts.

Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post

I'm not sure about other schools, but at MCCES (Marine Corps Communication and Electronic School) you are in a special platoon where you go about the base cleaning and generally hanging out till a class starts.
    What do you mean by this? Base Cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by RODRIGUEZ213 View Post

Think about it.

base:
    armed forces installation: a fort, reservation, proving ground, port, air base, or other facility owned and used by the armed forces

cleaning:

activity of making things clean: the activity of making things clean, usually in a domestic or commercial environment

I need six volunteers for working party...nobody wants to volunteer? Good, barracks support, secure the smoke pit.

Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    base:
    armed forces installation: a fort, reservation, proving ground, port, air base, or other facility owned and used by the armed forces

cleaning:

activity of making things clean: the activity of making things clean, usually in a domestic or commercial environment
    A frickin field day.

Hello Marines,

I have a lot of questions, obviously. I have my A.A. (need upper division courses to receive my B.S.), scored a 76 on ASVAB and signed up for "BX"-Data Systems. I live in Los Angeles.

1. After boot camp and MCT (both in San Diego and Camp Pendleton), how do I go about following the right path of the networking field?

2. Will I be going to 29 Palms? If so, for how long for 0651 and 0656?

3. I know it depends on my fleet, but how what are my chances of getting deployed over seas?

4. Will I be able to request West Coast only? On what grounds?

5. Where do most of the Marines go after they have completed their MOS certification?

6. I signed up for 5X3 and want to go through the MECEP program to pursue my B.S. in Computer Science (I only need my upper division courses to be finished). How will I go about school while on active duty?

7. Could I also have time to achieve my Masters degree while in the Marine Corps?

8. How long will it take me to become an officer? Considering my status and the field I am going into.

Thank you for your help.

LOL 0651. I'm a 0612 and a lot of my friends are 51s..Bravo MAT (Marines awaiting training) Is ...well..a battalion. Its HUGE. 51s only pick up like 5 times a year. And the schooling is like 3 months. I've been in 29 palms since december and I JUST started school last week. So you'll be here for a while. plus the 51 course is hard. So when you get here bust your ass and dont fool around.

Most of my friends are going to Lejeune. You can request if you want to go to hawaii japan west coast or east..but thats just a request. They'll put you where the marine corps needs you.
    Your chances of going overseas right now are high. Most everyone who is graduating right now is going to afganistan. 3/4 the unit thats here right now just got back from cold weather training and is going to mojave viper in 2 weeks then going on leave then to afghanistan by June.

If you wanna talk message me.

MAT platoon. I was stuck there for 3 months. Thank god I made scribe and I didnt have to deal with the BS for a while. Most people screw up on liberty and thats why you end up fielddaying everything. we field day'd from battalion to dental..thats a GOOD distance. Twentynine palms is definately an experience.

MAT platoon! That was the name of it.

And 51 school is only hard if you are a retard and never have touched a computer before.

MAT is the acronym for what?

Thanks again giveen.

Thread Information