Unit Award Information
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unit Award Information

This is a good website to research/verify Unit Awards you are or may be entitled to:

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/pls/po...%2015OCT08.PDF

CAR/HSM Database:
    https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/pls/ap...92094926260690

I recently found out that I rate not only 1, but 2 HSM's....which was news to me...so, verify verify verify your Unit Awards Marine's.

Sgt Ramsey, I know what you mean about the sheep, I' from Fargo, Ha I was in Marine Wing Service Group-17 '63-'64 Iwakuni, JP. It was re-designated Marine Wing Support Group, in 1966 and sent to Danang and awarded the PUC at that time. Am I qualified to wear that ribbon or did I have to belong at the time of award. Sounds stupid but I don't know when the determination started or even if it matters.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog 2 View Post
    Sgt Ramsey, I know what you mean about the sheep, I' from Fargo, Ha I was in Marine Wing Service Group-17 '63-'64 Iwakuni, JP. It was re-designated Marine Wing Support Group, in 1966 and sent to Danang and awarded the PUC at that time. Am I qualified to wear that ribbon or did I have to belong at the time of award. Sounds stupid but I don't know when the determination started or even if it matters.Thanks
    More or less I was always under the assumption that any person rated the unit award that was present, or attached to the unit at said dates for the unit award. Unless it was specifically stated in a MarAdmin that only certian Units and Personnel rated said Unit Award. For example my Battalion was award the Presidential Unit Citation for its actions in Iraq, while attached to I MEF. However it was strictly stated that rear parties/personnel that didn't deploy could not wear the award. However I know of several guys that never deployed that were awarded the PUC, and wore it on there uniform. I was out after it was awarded never pushed the issue with it, to try and get it since i didn't deploy, never felt I rated it.

It's frustrating researching operations etc. that you were in, or going through line-by-line in the Unit Awards roster to find awards you rate but were never awarded.

I'm still finding stuff out that I rate but was never awarded from the MEU deployment I was on....many of the awards were not authorized until after we returned and chopped back to our parent unit's.

If you weren't with either 1/8, 26th MEU, or MSSG-26 you were pretty much on your own for awards and had to look for the MCBul and Maradmins/Almars that came out.

HQMC has morning-report records going back decades in their files to verify awards and the Awards Branch (MMMA) is pretty helpful over the phone and will point you in the right direction.

What I'm having a problem with is finding some of my old OIC's I served under to imput the awards into the system for approval, verification, and awardment.

It's even harder if you're either discharged or retired to reach back in the mists of time, as you don't have your normal support network and administrators to help out.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    SAM....do you have a copy of your 201 file?? How about After Action Reports?? OR....maybe a Company diary? I got mine...ALL copies, BUT.....some dates were missing in my 201, and AAR'S! 40 years time passed, and some things just "went missing"....wherever that is! Good luck!.....DOC

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Ramsey View Post
    This is a good website to research/verify Unit Awards you are or may be entitled to:

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/pls/po...%2015OCT08.PDF

CAR/HSM Database:
    https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/pls/ap...92094926260690

I recently found out that I rate not only 1, but 2 HSM's....which was news to me...so, verify verify verify your Unit Awards Marine's.

Hey there SSgt, I can't get those links to work...
    Is there an update URL?

It is a security certificate issue...
    anyways.. I found this:

http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...20APR%2008.pdf

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yo S/SGT.when you get your awards straightened out with the higher up's see if they can issue You an enlisted Marines NCO Sword that Mameluke Thrust Officer Sword just ain't getting it.You'r outta Uniform Marine

Sorry Brother Fist...it was the best I could do on short notice with a signature...now that my awards aren't complete, I'm gonna wait for a while until they are....

I have 3 to track down: a star on my HSM, the Navy Battle "E" ribbon, and lastly my CAR from 97' and Silver Wake....

The CAR/HSM database maintained by HQMC is showing me as rating 2, 1 of which I was not aware of, and only 1 mentioned on my DD-214 and MOL....weird....but that shouldn't be a biggie.

The Navy E shouldn't be too bad...I printed off the USS Nassau's unit-award history, I have a pic of me and name from the LF6F 96-97 cruisebook, I'm in the process of getting my pay records during this time to show I was part of ships platoon. It should just be administrative and sign off on it.

The CAR is in the works with my old OIC to submit through the electronic awards system to HQMC. Once he submits it, HQMC verifies that I was a member of Silver Wake, and that I got the AFEM (which I did), and it will be issued retroactively to me.

Hopefully 1 DD-215 can ammend my DD-2314 to keep it simple....I had so little time to punch out after my Med Board came back as TDRL w/60% disability...I couldn't sell any more leave back and I had like 80 days on the books....so I went on Term Lv in May with a retirement date of 1 July 07.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Like tha way you handled it S/Sgt!!! Chit you get any more decorations we gonna have 2 hold up up w/a cherry picker(lol)S/F

LOL...

Well, thank you my Brother...truly appreciated, yet not warranted on my part....I have relatively little compared to many, my contributions were few.

I stand in awe, pride, respect, and humility at our young Marine's in harms way now. They are our legacy.

I had but a small part to play....and even smaller combat expedition history than most of these guys now...they have multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan with little rest for the weary between deployments.

These people are my hero's....

Oh pulleasse!
    When has a 'Staff' NCO EVER apologized to an non-NCO?
    SSgt, just tell him that the 'sig' you are using is all that is available on Militarysignatures.com and be done with it.
    Don't suck his ass cuz your 'sig' has the wrong sword!
    WTF???

btw: I hope my links are more helpfull than yours

Cpl....and I'm trying to not lose my mind here....

Fist wasn't disrespectful, technically I am in the wrong, regardless of what choices I did or didn't have....I didn't apologize to Fist....explained perhaps....that's about the extent of it....I have to admit, I wish they did have more Marine choices there.

I see no reason to blatantly disrespect another Marine because of their rank or status. I don't get off on slamming somebody unless they truly deserve it, regardless of rank.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    GENTLEMEN....you've got me giggling so hard, I spilled my coffee down my Santa Clause BELLY!!! WOW!! That SH!T was HOOOOTTTTT!!!!! TRUST ME!!...FIST is one of the GOOD GUY'S!!!.....I bet he's laughing...TOO!! Just pass the pipe around...again!....DOC

Thread Information