Recovery
Create Post

Thread: Recovery

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Recovery

Well since I'm old (26 in a month) I know I'm not going to recovery as quickly. But last week I added wind sprints into my work out program. I stretched for along time to try to prevent this. But I have tweeked my left Quad muscle, I'm gonna call it a strain more than a pull. So now on my long distance runs when I open up the jets (haha) I just hurt it again. Not worse but I reaggervate it. Anyone got any ideas on how to get it better without stop running completely for a few days. I can walk and jog and it doesn't bother me much, but when i try to go full speed it hurts like a mother........ thanks for any ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by WAGGZ View Post
    Well since I'm old (26 in a month) I know I'm not going to recovery as quickly. But last week I added wind sprints into my work out program. I stretched for along time to try to prevent this. But I have tweeked my left Quad muscle, I'm gonna call it a strain more than a pull. So now on my long distance runs when I open up the jets (haha) I just hurt it again. Not worse but I reaggervate it. Anyone got any ideas on how to get it better without stop running completely for a few days. I can walk and jog and it doesn't bother me much, but when i try to go full speed it hurts like a mother........ thanks for any ideas.
    Get a wooden dowel and roll it along the muscle, making sure to repeatedely roll over the areas that feel tweaked or hurt. Also, hot compresses help relax the muscle. Warm up and then stretch.

BTW, you're older, not old. I'm only 27 and I'm remiss about calling myself old because some of these old guys can run circles around me. I have to warm up longer before I can even stretch nowadays. It's not like picking up and going at 17. At least you have the benefit of being more mature.

If you want some great active recovery, go swimming. You can basically do it everyday once you're acclimated; you'll have more wind and stronger joints too.

Get hopping and get some!

Rest
    Ice
    Elevate.

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah I see the age issue the same way.....older not old. I just think it's funny cause I'll be in Poolee chat with some of these kids and their like, "Damn, your old." I'm about to agree with them and say "Yeah so respect your elders, you little turd." j/k

Just think about all the prior service recruits in Boot Camp; you could find yourself with a 32 year old in the platoon after having served out his contract in another branch.

Don't be the creaky old guy until you've earned it!

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah I know, plus I totally get that there are going to be a ton of younger Marines that will out rank me....should've enlisted earlier. But a little good natured ribbing between recruits/poolees/wannabes is ok.

put deep heet on the area before a run

Quote Originally Posted by WAGGZ View Post
    Make sure you are stretching twice as long when you finish running.
    Drink water.

No running or sprinting for at least a week.
    Stretch out at least 3 times a day in that time.

If you absolutely have to PT, swim or get on a bike machine.

lol I'm in the same boat, I guess with the labeling myself "old" stuff. Might be something to do with the older guys at my weekend job. Since I go out with them and starting to ache and whine at stuff they do, perhaps it's all mental, got to be right?

Anyway on a serious note, I had a similar, 'old' guy injury (just teasing) about 2 months ago. I'm a bike messenger this jerky took me out for 2 months literally, but it was due to the ignore of the injury I did when I first sustained it. First thing first, rest for a couple of days or even a week to give time to let the muscle fibers heal. Also allow your body to heal the area as well properly (meaning no stress on the muscle to much, minimum as possible).

Then I suggest try to do the jog/run and see how it goes (test drive it). Although I see you mentioned you get no pain, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not there in some hidden form. Taking Vitamin E gives you a boost in healing time, it did for me, but still due to my ignoring of the injury it took longer.

It's a good idea to do the ICE method if you have swallowing, but it's a tricky area to effectively apply the ICE method. Just relaxing and taking it easy is perhaps a better way. The rest, unfortunately, comes with time and healing, not much else. Take it easy old friend, and remember you're not 25 anymore, still teasing.

Just get the wife to do things lol, you have a excuse now..

Credits
    Savings
    Oh, do i know the pain waggz. I've had to take a week off from running all together..shin splits got me on the 3 mile run..ouch...GL and keep your head up!

Credits
    Savings

Ryan O

One thing that will help with shin splints is jumping rope. Add fast 5 minutes of it to your workout, when thats to easy do ten. You gotta spinit fast to get benefit though.

Thread Information