Bicycling or Running?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bicycling or Running?

I've knocked out the IST Run part at 10:xx something.

But I am preparing for Boot Camp runs. I cycle with my bike 6 miles (3/3) in total (up hill and etc) or more, I just enjoy it better honestly.

I was wondering from Marines and poolees, what is better at prep'ing myself (i'd figured running)?. Am I just wasting my time bicycling (i mean in the sense that I could benefit more from running)?

I try not to give myself to many breaks, but I do when I can't simply take the burning in my legs and lungs. Then soon as I reach the playground I'm off to the monkey bars and do, push-ups, situps, monkey bars in sets and reps of chin-ups and pull-ups then cycle back home (3 miles).

I appreciate any advice or tips, thanks in advance.

Marine Friend Free Member NicholasITALY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by New York View Post

But I am preparing for Boot Camp runs. I cycle with my bike 6 miles (3/3) in total (up hill and etc) or more, I just enjoy it better honestly.

I was wondering from Marines and poolees, what is better at prep'ing myself (i'd figured running)?. Am I just wasting my time bicycling (i mean in the sense that I could benefit more from running)?

I try not to give myself to many breaks, but I do when I can't simply take the burning in my legs and lungs. Then soon as I reach the playground I'm off to the monkey bars and do, push-ups, situps, monkey bars in sets and reps of chin-ups and pull-ups then cycle back home (3 miles).

I'd say that running is better, since YOU WILL RUN at Boot Camp.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Bicycling can be a good cardio workout, but no where near running. Running those three miles to the playground would be A LOT more beneficial then biking it.
    If you can't run the whole way, walk parts at first until you can. Then after you can do the three miles strait, start picking objects like a telephone pole or stop sign and sprint to it, then jog a little then pick another object and sprint. It will help your endurance a lot. Sprinting is a great way to build endurance. I like to do it up hills then jog down and sprint up it again. It builds leg muscle, similar to bicycling I guess, and endurance.

Honestly, I ride bikes a lot, it has helped me with my running but 6 miles is not that much, I ride around 18 miles on saturdays and sundays, it is a great workout. Find some trails in your area, ride your bike a good amount, get off it for a rest and a run and crunches or some type of work out, then ride your bike back home, this maximizes the work out. Just six miles though will not do much considering you run around 3-4 miles in boot camp from what I hear and unless you are constantly biking up and down hills for that 6 miles, you won't be building much of endurance or stamina.

I try not to give myself to many breaks, but I do when I can't simply take the burning in my legs and lungs.
    You answered your own question.

Biking is a good way to change up your mundane PT schedule, it is not the alternative if you don't like running.

Running is important.
    Constant running builds strength in the joints. Especially the knees.

To much running without recovery, with the wrong shoes, and on the wrong terrain will kill your knees in the long run though.

Excessive biking can cause impotency issues in males as well.

Copy that CPL. Pete, I will switch to Running ASAP, and cycle on other days. Thanks to the others as well for the good advice.

Gotta go get them NBs now! some good ones, any suggestions on a pair?

any suggestions on a pair?
    On what terrain will you running?
    How often?
    What distance?

No Dr scholls inserts or the others that are made for retirees waiting in line at the all you can eat breakfast buffet.
    You will need high impact insoles made for heavy use.

The terrain I would be running mostly what consist of average suburban roads, downhill and up-hill.

4 times a week (give or take depending on my soreness and etc) and the average of 8 to 10 miles in total each time.

Thank you for your help Cpl Pete.

Credits
    Savings
    I agree with the advice already posted. For now, ensure your ability to run is strengthened to at least 3 miles, and push for more and faster.

Down the road, maintain your fitness levels by cross training as much as possible. There are a lot of musclehead power lifters that can't run or swim as well as you might think from the looks. Lance Armstrong, when he quit riding, got into running but at first wasn't very good. He had all the stamina, but the running muscles needed development and training. I think that he eventually ran a few marathons/triathalons. So keep a regular fitness activity that strengthens USMC fitness areas of running, pullups, crunches, Push-Ups, and then balance yourself with everything else, such as martial arts training, swimming, basketball, sports in general, aerobics, whatever keeps you from getting bored.

I played a lot of soccer and rode bikes before the Corps, but I had never run just to run at all. I adapted immediately in Boot; the soccor helped the most I'm sure, but the biking didn't hurt either.

Run Forrest Run, the army uses the bike in their pft I couldn't believe that but was told that by 2 army veterans, WTF.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Copy that CPL. Pete, I will switch to Running ASAP, and cycle on other days. Thanks to the others as well for the good advice.

Gotta go get them NBs now! some good ones, any suggestions on a pair?

I suggest New Balance 992 they may have moved to the 993 by now though. They are great shoes, but not everyone's foot is the same.

No idea on that SGT, sounds like a different approach to the problem, but I assume that's how the Army sees it.

CPL. Chumley sir, I will be sure to take your advice and stick to the running strictly, and enforcing the cycling perhaps once or twice a week. I am a big soccer fan and player myself, but not full blown games, friends are too "old" to play lol, go figure.

WAGGZ thank you for the model #, I wish they weren't so expensive, but it is worth the price it seems.

Are NBs the only choice or is there other makes and models better than these?

Credits
    Savings
    No idea on that SGT, sounds like a different approach to the problem, but I assume that's how the Army sees it.

CPL. Chumley sir, I will be sure to take your advice and stick to the running strictly, and enforcing the cycling perhaps once or twice a week. I am a big soccer fan and player myself, but not full blown games, friends are too "old" to play lol, go figure.

WAGGZ thank you for the model #, I wish they weren't so expensive, but it is worth the price it seems.

Are NBs the only choice or is there other makes and models better than these?

Spend some time and try a bunch of different brands to see what is best for your own foot. All the big brands have some good and bad products, so see for yourself. Unless it's changed you will also wear/bring them to Boot and you will run in them occaisionally. If you don't know by now, the investment in quality footware is worth the extra effort and time to shop around.

I always go for good shock absorbing quality sole, with an appropriate arch support, proper fit/comfort, and good airflow/ventilation, and then cost. There are some very good mid price running/cross trainers out there, so don't be totally stuck on brand/price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    Spend some time and try a bunch of different brands to see what is best for your own foot. All the big brands have some good and bad products, so see for yourself. Unless it's changed you will also wear/bring them to Boot and you will run in them occaisionally. If you don't know by now, the investment in quality footware is worth the extra effort and time to shop around.

I always go for good shock absorbing quality sole, with an appropriate arch support, proper fit/comfort, and good airflow/ventilation, and then cost. There are some very good mid price running/cross trainers out there, so don't be totally stuck on brand/price.
    Nope, they get issued running shoes in Boot now, and they are crap.

Invest in footwear now. A good pair should last you 1 year with moderate use, and 6 months with heavy use.
    The insoles that come with shoes are usually crap so plan to invest in a pair of those as well. The type that are made for running not the ones made for comfort.
    The ones made for comfort have zero arch support and don't rebound after heavy use. Making them pointless.

Socks are important as well, they help with cushioning and the stink factor. Worn out socks need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    Nope, they get issued running shoes in Boot now, and they are crap.
    Are they still using those ugly azz orange Nikes? I hated those shoes, had shin splints throughout boot because of them.

Thread Information