Strength Test
Create Post

Thread: Strength Test

Strength Test

How did you guys do on the initial strength test? Once you swore in and what not?

I did 6 pull-ups and 44 crunches... which I think is really bad. In high school I could do 50ish full sit-ups(elbows to knees) in a minute... I struggled to get 44 in two yesterday... Pull-ups have never been a strong point of mine...

Just curious how everyone else did.

You have to run 1.5 mi too right? Personally I'll be over 20 pull-ups and 100 sit-ups. I am actually hoping to go to MEPS by the end of the month. Just waiting on some paper work!

for my first IST....well....it wasnt very good but i did 12 pull-ups/56 crunches/8:54 1.5 mile run....
    the latest one that i did/took....welll....went better than the first time all accept for the 1.5 mile run....the scores for me have pretty much been very consistent ever since i've been sworn in under the DEP program....but my lastest scores are as follows:26 pull-ups/79 crunches/9:00 flat 1.5 mile run....

My first IST I had 17pull-ups (I swear it was 16, but the Marine counting said 17, arguing with him didn't help me later on that day...), 76 crunches and my 1.5mile time was 12:30-ish. Today on my IST I got 12pull-ups, 87crunches and my 1.5mile time was 12:56.

My pull-ups would have been 20+, but I changed my hand position from palms facing me to away from me, heck I was suprised when I made it to 10 and thought "dang I can still crank out a few more."

Geez I really am out of shape... just another thing to look forward to about being a Marine. Getting back in shape! 20 pull ups is in the 100th percentile... that'll be very good.

Taylor, you doing great!

I may not have done very well at all on the strength test... but I know I can and will improve. I haven't done the run yet.

On my very first IST (about 2 months ago) I got 3 pullups, 45 crunches, and 1.5 mile in 12:30.
    I just got back from my IST today and i'm at 8 pullups, 76 crunches, and 1.5 mile in 11:29.

Quote Originally Posted by richrs01 View Post
    My first IST I had 17pull-ups (I swear it was 16, but the Marine counting said 17, arguing with him didn't help me later on that day...), 76 crunches and my 1.5mile time was 12:30-ish. Today on my IST I got 12pull-ups, 87crunches and my 1.5mile time was 12:56.

My pull-ups would have been 20+, but I changed my hand position from palms facing me to away from me, heck I was suprised when I made it to 10 and thought "dang I can still crank out a few more."

Why would you change your hand position WHEN you have been training with your hands the other way?! Boggles my mind.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jensen139 View Post
    Why would you change your hand position WHEN you have been training with your hands the other way?! Boggles my mind.
    The only reason I could see is that in the long run, is that you can do more palm facing away from you pull ups because your back muscles are a major muscle group and your biceps are not.

True- I think palms facing away is a much better way to do pull ups

What's wrong with switching how you train? Switching things around when you work out can open up new gateways (so to speak). I've recently found that doing mostly shoulder exercises rather than mostly triceps exercises has increased the amount of push-ups I can do. Of course that didn't work for a friend of mine, he had to continue to do triceps work in order to increase his push-up amount.

Now I could understand not switching around if I was leaving for Boot Camp soon, but I don't leave for Boot Camp until August. I'm sure that I'll be able to go from 12 to 20+ by then. It was a curiosity that got me to try it, I wanted to see how many I would get that way and I found out I could get 12.

just a little advice to put out there for some of u new recruits/poolee's. push-ups will help you increase your pull-ups, have noticed it helps me out a lot! i went from doing only 12 for my first IST to doing 26 and half of tha 27th one, so trust me its benificial to ya! but as far as my 1.5 mile run....well, try to lengthen your stride....it'll help in tha long run! but im used to tha long runs, and running on a track team for your school will definately help, especially running tha distance portions of it all, like tha mile and two mile runs. hope tha advice helps out for some of you.

Thread Information