Book
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book

Book

I already tried using the search option to see if perhaps what I want to know has already been discussed but I found nothing helpful. Any way I was searching for a book that explains what to expect from boot camp and even perhaps some helpful tips. The only book that I found was “The Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook: Tips, Tricks, and Tactics for Surviving Boot Camp” but it seems like this book is primarily based off of the army boot camp. I am going into the marines, and so I am sure there is quite a difference from army and marine boot camps. Would I be doing more harm than good if I read this book because I might get the wrong information? Or perhaps this is a good book for all branches boot camp, despite the army view? What do you guys think?

Better yet if someone has a better suggestion of a book for marine boot camp then by all means.

I've always wanted to do this:

First, there is a search button to the upper right, type in what you want to know, there are plenty post on books and bootcamp.

Second, Marine is Marine with a capital M.

Third, good job on your profile.

Good luck in June...

You sir, are correct. After couple of different search tries I came up with better results. "THE YELLOW FOOTPRINTS TO HELL AND BACK: The starting point for every Marine: a drill instructors' story of life in Marine Corps boot camp during the Vietnam War" does not seem to look like what I am looking for. But I did find "U.S. Marine Guidebook of Essential Subjects" which seems really interesting. My recruiter told me that all I need to know was what had already been given to me, and everything else you learn in boot camp. So that is awesome, it’s on my list. Head start.

But that’s about all i found. Is there a book that that explains Marine boot camp in great detail? Or not?

You'll receive the Guidebook in Boot. You'll learn a lot of your knowledge from that, the big green monster and... wait for it!!!! Your Drill Instructors and curriculum instructors!

If you're interested in Boot I'd suggest you buy.... Boot or Making the Corps which will give you some insight... They aren't going to give you the run-down of what happens in Boot so don't think you'll learn a lesson or how to cope with being away from friends, family and civilian life in general for 3 months.

I'd suggest you read them afterwards so you don't pick up little nuances that are no longer used in Boot. For instance, you'd learn how to pass behind a superior and what to say but you'll be missing a major portion that would lead to you being corrected.

In short, learn what your recruiter gave you; that's the most pressing (General Orders, Rank structure, etc...) The rest tends to be fluff and what not. The only thing that can prepare you for Marine Corps Boot Camp is the expectation that it will be about the hardest thing you've done up to that point in your young life.

Just show up for Boot Camp. The rest will be explained by your Drill Instructors.

So true Gunny, how can a freakin book prepare yourself for boot camp?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The United States Marine Corps For Poolee Dummies.

Chuck I have to watch it, them poolees cost me an infraction some time ago,lol.

I suppose it would wrong to think you can actually get "prepared" for boot camp in any way. I just thought perhaps the more I know the better it is for me to survive.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    When I was getting interviewed by a SSgt at MEPS for my 30 day before I leave thing, he asked me what my recruiters are teaching me in DEP and the first thing that came to my mind was "to survive recruit training". He laughed and said "you aren't being dropped into Afgahnistan, it's not like your going to die down there".

I just thought I would throw that out there lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Just show up for Boot Camp. The rest will be explained by your Drill Instructors.
    Yeah, just go in cold and be surprised, like just about every Marine before the internet came along!

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    I suppose it would wrong to think you can actually get "prepared" for boot camp in any way. I just thought perhaps the more I know the better it is for me to survive.
    Reading a book and actually doing it is two different things, just go in with your mind set to listen and do things quickly and you will be fine, the DI's are there to mold you into becoming a Marine which is done their way and not done by some book and every DI is different believe me and you will find that out by yourself, Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 3522 View Post
    Yeah, just go in cold and be surprised, like just about every Marine before the internet came along!
    Very true, when I signed up there was no such thing as a poolee when was that word introduced?

Quote Originally Posted by BGW View Post
    Many have went before you and many will continue to go after you and without reading some book that Joe Blow wrote about Marine Corps Boot Camp. Beside reading is one thing, comprehending is another.

Thread Information