550 Cord Weaving and Fancywork
Create Post

550 Cord Weaving and Fancywork

Most of you who have been aboard a Navy ship know what I'm talking about.
    Here is an example of a Marine interpretation of the tradition:

For more examples: http://www.frayedknotarts.com/military.html\

In keeping with the Marine Corps' naval traditions, "fancywork" has been a part of shipboard life for modern militaries all over the world.

Found a good website with instructions.
    http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

It's a very useful skill to have in the Marines, even if its only to stave off boredom.

The projects go from the bracelets like you made a summer camp to full embroidered lanyards, and most are shown using 550 paracord.

This is a good way to help Marines learn knots in a fun way.

I've been working on it for a few days. Still haven't gotten the "turkshead."

Not to make light of it...by any stretch...but this kind of work is also a GREAT way to deal with nicotine cravings and the general process of breaking a smoking habit.

I have not yet totally licked my smoking habit, but handwork like knitting and needlepoint (which occupy the hands and mind in similar ways to this type of crafting) have been my most effective tools.

Marine Free Member 2ndLAADBnWRENCH's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Pete
    I remember many a float in the Corps and yes many many hours tieing knots for personal, unit and the ships decorations. Find a salty dog n learn the hard to tie knots Brother..

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndLAADBnWRENCH View Post
    Pete
    I remember many a float in the Corps and yes many many hours tieing knots for personal, unit and the ships decorations. Find a salty dog n learn the hard to tie knots Brother..
    Thanks Wrench.
    I'm pretty savvy with knots, but the advanced ones kill me.

The main reason for this thread is to generate interest with the younger Marines and poolees to keep this tradition going.
    The way the GWOT has been going naval tradition is lacking.

I'll try and track down some pictures of paddles that I've taken part in making...we've wrapped some amazing paddles and I can't think of all the knots. Turks head and corn cob were two that were used. Both look really sharp if done correctly.

This is very cool. I haven't seen anything like this before with 550 cord. I might give it a shot here in a couple weeks. Thanks for this thread.

Good deal.
    Post up pics when you're done.

parachute cord or 550 cord

550 cord has tons of uses and should be included in everyone's outdoor kit or just around the house. Uses include: camping, crabbing, indoor and outdoor clotheslines, halyard lines. garden lines, venetian blinds, awning lines and other things that require great strength, durability, quick drying, rot and mildew resistance. 550 Para Cord consists of seven separate nylon strands inside a sheath to provide strength. The individual strands can be removed for other uses and the sheath can be used by it's self for lanyards of all types.

550 cord is very useful

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ain't that what Accord uses for a belt?

Thread Information