need some advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

need some advice

ok i have been a poolee since last august and am getting ready to ship off aug. 4th. i still don't have a job to this day and it's getting real close to the time i have to ship. i have tryed to sign up for a few jobs now and the recruiter always says they are filled. so now my choices have been limited to infantry, logistics, motor t and colonary arts. i have no intentions on doing colonary arts or motor t so i am looking at doing eitehr infantry or logistics. i have talked to the recruiter, and looked all over the internet trying to get every bit of info on these 2 jobs and i still havn't been able to make a decision i am totally happy with. i think i would like infantry better then logistics but i don't know much about logistics if anyone can give me a little info on what that mos is all about it would be appreciated. now the thing with infantry is that i don't really know what the life of an infantry man is like how much do they train and how much free time they get and stuff in that nature. i know it varies on many things but i don't personally know anyone who was formally a infantryman in the Marines and my recruiter doesn't seem to know all that much himself. if anyone could give me some info on either of those jobs i would really appreciate it i have looked everywhere i could think of and i am still drawing a blank and i have to make my mind up soon.

www.military.about.com has a list of every MOS with a description. Have you checked there?

I'm going 0300

I don't really know what to tell you but to follow Devil Pups advice. I'm a poolee and I'm going 0300 (infantry). Infantry definitely has a lot of work, they're the first and foremost fighting men, but remember as long as you're a Marine, you're a rifleman. The Infantryman is commonly called "The Backbone of the Corps" because they're the Grunts. You can expect a lot of PT and training, or so my friends who went infantry have told me. The major reason I'm going infantry is because I want to get into Sniping and possibly Recon, and Infantry is the starting point to get into other combat groups. Your MOS choice basically depends on what you want to not only START with in the Corps, but what you want to move on to with ease.

That's my two cents.

-Sully

thanks for the advice from the both of you and i have checked www.military.about.com before.

All the Marines I've talked to think they're the backbone of the Corps, and most didn't have an 03** MOS.

Whatever your MOS, you need to believe you're the backbone, because in actuality, you are. Every MOS is important in the Corps.

On a smaller scale, there's my youth group board. When I was just a member, coming to meetings and helping to plan, I thought I was the backbone and acted like it. Last year, when I was treasurer, I again thought I was the backbone and continued to act like it. Now, as President, I still feel I'm the backbone, and act like it. You get the most done when everyone takes their job seriously.

Hit the web and go to the library. I can't give you any specific titles of books but I know I've borrowed a few that outlined some MOSs.

Mmkay, then hit the library if you haven't already. If your recruiter doesn't seem worldly, talk to some others.

Contact your local VFW Association. Many of the former service members know people that are currently enlisted.

You might even want to contact your local WMA chapter. They obviously won't be able to tell you about infantry but I'd be willing to bet that someone would be able to help you better understand logistics.

ok i am going to make a trip to the library this weekend and i will contact the VFW Association to. i have gone to the recruiter many times before and he hasn't been able to help a whole lot. at one point in time i actually talked to the gunny down here and he told me that logistics was open so i told him just to go ahead and put me in there which he never got around to doing so it's kind of tough for me to get anything done with this right now.

site search engine under logistics.

Might be a clue somewhere in all of that.....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/se...=&pagenumber=8

Geez!

We don't have **** posted around here about infantry training!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/se...=&pagenumber=1

One more time and I'm goin' off on somebody around here!!!!

That's not a threat. That's a promise!

Umm ... ya'll ... I've been around long enough to know that Sgt. Bones keeps his promises.

OK, some of the Marines may get a little peeved about this but I think it fits here. The infantry Marine is not only the backbone of the Marine Corps, he is the Marine Corps. Every non 03XX MOS exists for the sole reason of supporting the infantryman and his mission. Now, I am in no way saying that other MOS's aren't "worthy" or as good as infantry. No Marine infantryman would be worth anything is not for those that feed, equip, and supply him. Marine Air and arty are assets that can't be ignored... but the fact remains, they are there to assist the infantryman in his mission.

Now, just think how much I would love the 03's if I was one!

At heart, every Marine really wants to be a grunt. The Marine Corps puts ya where it needs ya. It's part of the program. We all cover each other's ass. Everyone else's job is to make sure the grunt gets what he needs when he needs it. They can hump, use rocks and eat bugs, but ammo, food and a ride home come in awful handy.

Be well aware....one day, no matter yer MOS, you might have to be a grunt fer awhile. Almost every MOS you can think of has had to squeeze a trigger on the enemy and sleep in a fightin' hole one time or other. ...and it doesn't hurt to know how to fight with a rock in yer hand til the ammo, food and yer ride gets to ya....every Marine a rifleman....

yea i think that i would enjoy infantry the most by far i wouldn't have ever picked logistics if it wasn't one of the few jobs offered to me. i would like to call the recruiter now and just tell him to go ahead and sign me up for infantry but it still goes back to the fact i am worried about getting a job when i get out. thats where i get stuck when i try to figure out what i am going to do because i don't know many places you can get a job for being able to shoot a gun and as far as i know when your infantry you don't have the extra time to go to school which i would do if i was logistics.

Uhhhh....how about goin' to college after the Marine Corps?

Don't make it complicated. Just ****ing do it.

Alright, Womack. Read the friggin' POOL-ee Hall and Marine Mentor forums. Yer questions have been more than adequately answered there. Input college on the site search engine and start there. If you don't start readin' what's already posted, I will go off on ya. If ya can't show a little initiative, go talk to the Air Force.

Thread Information