Strange re enlist code, wondering the possible options
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange re enlist code, wondering the possible options

Wow, that sure is irritating. I just spilled my guts out explaining my situation and it said I wasnt logged in for the post. THE GREEN WEENIE FOLLOWS ME!

Anyway, I'll explain my situation once again much shorter.

I am a terminal lance with 5 NJP company level. I recieved an HONORABLE discharge, with MBK1 Seperation code. My re entry code was RE4.

I've requested my OMPF, and only three of the NJP show up. They were spaced out over a year apart. Atleast the ones on the OMPF were.

Between my NJP's, I was a 4.7/4.7 - 4.9/4.9 Marine. I had a fireteam as a PFC which I had to earn, as there were lances without teams.

I've taken a few community college courses, and recieved GI Bill money. I've also been transferred to the IRR. From what I've been told, RE4 is like the death sentence, and all of my benefits are supposed to be taken away.

I've recieved a certificate of appreciation at EAS, and 2 months later I was promoted to Corporal, via US Postal Service and the NCO Warrant. (I lol'd)

Anyway, I'm still IRR with another 9 months to go before I am EOS. I am wanting to re enlist mid next year, after I've payed off some debts.

What are my chances of getting this number changed/waived?

Thanks in advance.

um, join a reserve unit and get on active duty orders.... then when you get off active duty you'll have a nice shiny RE-1a code... and I'm telling you, you don't have much time so go run to your prior service recruiter and get to a new MOS... it's the only way for you to get on active duty quickly...

if it matters to you, I would suggest you do this... otherwise there is no easy way and you'll overshoot your reenlistment timeframe.... sorry killer.

Thanks for the quick response SSgt

You do not lose benefits due to a reenlistment code of "RE-4." That code is only used to categorize you for future service. An RE-4 means that you are "not recommended for reenlistment." In my experience, you would not be approved by HQMC for reenlistment in the USMC or USMCR. Most recruiters wouldn't waste their time even submitting a package. As distasteful as this is, I recommend that if you want back in the military, check out the other branches, including the National Guard.

I am in contact with a couple of my prior officers, and they're willing to write letters of recommendations. Would this not help, if I had a stack of these letters?

I wouldn't hurt, I just don't think HQMC will entertain the package. I do wish you the best of luck though.

Re:Strange re enlist code, wondering the possible options

Sorry AnimalMother. With a re-enlistment code of RE 4 you are not going to be able to re-enlist. I got a General under Honorable Conditions, with the same re-enlistment code. I tried for several years to get it changed, but was never able to do so. That was back in 1974. I know things change, but I would never think the Corp would change on that.
    Yanacek is correct, that you do not lose any benifits. You just can not re-enlist into the Corp.
    I was told that it would take an act of Congress to get it changed. Do you know any Senior Congressmen?

Good luck.

If it takes an act of congress, then it will be an act of congress to change it.

I guess I'll see if my grandpa has any strings he can pull. He was a 1 star select in the Corps from WW2 - Post Vietnam. Maybe HIS letter would help? Too bad Hagee isnt the CMC anymore, he was a lieutenant under my grandpa as a Batallion Commander in Vietnam.

The RE-4 can be changed but you have to do it fast. You will need a lot of letters form the guys you served with (NCO/SNCO/Officers) and a few of your grand fathers fends won't hurt.
    I have worked a few of these cases and I have seen very few go through. But don't give up, try if you don't then go to the other services they may be can help get you back on active duty, then on your eas if you keep your noise clean you can get the RE-1A code back.
    Best of luck

um, that's what I'd said... attach to a reserve unit, change your MOS and goto the MOS school, you will be augmented to active duty... then when they augment you back to the reserves you will have an RE-1A.... and you can reenlist!!!

it's simple, and you can get an extension on your contract if you attach before your IRR time ends...

seriously! go do it!

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    SORRY, GENTLEMEN, but WHAT???? When an "X" Marine (and he IS an X!) wants info about his re-up code, SEND HIS AZZ TO A RE-UP RECRUITER......NOT our responsibility!!....That goes DOUBLE....FOR CORPSMEN!!!!!......DOC

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    SORRY, GENTLEMEN, but WHAT???? When an "X" Marine (and he IS an X!) wants info about his re-up code, SEND HIS AZZ TO A RE-UP RECRUITER......NOT our responsibility!!....That goes DOUBLE....FOR CORPSMEN!!!!!......DOC
    Doc, this man served and received and Honorable Discharge. He just received an unfavorable Reenlistment Code because he had a number of NJPs. All that means in that he was not recommended for reenlistment.

hell, even if he didn't have the NJPs... he could have signed the paperwork with the crap re enlistment code... it happens more than you think.

Doc, what seems to be the issue? I am simply asking for advice from a forum called "LEATHERNECK." Have I not earned the right to use this forum? I've been to combat twice. I carried an American Flag in my flak, and I never surrendered to enemy combatants.

Due to defending myself against attackers, I was automatically NJP'd, because I was a better hand to hand combatant. These were unfortunate, and my company was burn happy.

And what the **** is an "X" marine? Once a marine ALWAYS a marine, regardless of discharge code.

What I meant by attackers, were other marines in the PX in one incident, and a LANCE as a private in SOI.

Thread Information