Broke the news to the parents today, i thought I made the right decision.. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oh yeah and adding to my post, just because you are Intel does not mean you may not get ATTACHED to an Infantry unit, I don't know how it would work, but I know as a linguist I have the chance of becoming an interpreter for an Infantry unit. You have a chance of going to war when we are at war, and thus being killed there (per your mothers belief)...but you also have a GREAT chance of being killed in a car accident or drive by, etc...I myself would choose the more honorable death of dying a Marine and dying for something I believed in.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry to hear that your parents took it the way they did. I actually just went to MEPS yesterday to be processed, and I was planning on telling my parents tonight over the phone (we live in different states). They have no idea that I was even the slightest bit interested in joining and will definitely be shocked. I am expecting many of the same reactions that your parents had, but I also know that they will think I am quitting school and joining because I have nothing better going for me. You just need to remember that you are making this decision for yourself, not your family/friends who will have endless opinions. The Marine Corps is certainly not for everyone so there will always be varying opinions. Hang in there and show them that this is really what you want to do. It might not seem like it now, but they are going to be very proud of you.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnew161 View Post
    Personally I know this decision is up to me and its my life. But having no support base kind of sucks.
    Think of all of us as your support base, we got strong shoulders.

If your parents are so against it, your best bet is to get your recruiter to talk to them, whether that be at your house or the RS. Just wait, they'll come around.

I finally told my parents today that I was going to MEPS on Friday. I wanted to make sure that I had a definite answer before I even opened my mouth. When I told them I was hoping for encouragement. Instead my father called me a ******* idiot and said "Wow i've heard it all". My mom just stood there and said "Why would you want to come back in a body bag"? My dad, his brothers and father were all in the Navy. Now I guess my dad is against the military talking about having absolutely no freedom and the pay sucks. IMO its not about money at all but they dont seem to understand that. They say I'm a smart kid and that I have everything going for me so they wonder why I would even consider joining.

Personally I know this decision is up to me and its my life. But having no support base kind of sucks. My girlfriend supports me but who knows how that will be after boot. So here are some things that they mentioned. Could you please provide me with some more information so that I can further talk to them tonight?

1) 1st paycheck sucks because uniforms etc are deducted.

2) No matter the MOS you choose the Marines can still place you wherever they want outside of your "field of preference". Example I chose intel but could be placed in infantry.

3) You will have no time for college classes at your duty station.

4) Military literally owns you in the sense that all of your freedoms are taken for the entire 8 years of service. (I dont know what my father why trying to get at but thats the whole idea of a contract..)

I dont know if my parents think I want to enlist because of pay. If they think that then they are entirely wrong. I would just like some input so that I have definite straightforward answers next time I bring it up.

Thanks

1) you won't see your first paycheck, so don't worry about it... you walk away from boot camp with (in my day it was 1500 bucks in pocket) probably 3 grand.

2) you have a job code... mine was CD and it had MT mech and Heavy equipment Mech.... I was one or the other... check you job code and any possible job attached to it... from there it's up in the air... needs of the Marine Corps.

3) Many Marines goto college while on active duty... I chose not to (mistake) but I know of 3 who got a degree... one was a bachelors while the other two were associates... it all depends on your dedication and deployment cycle... with the new deployment dwell times, you'll have plenty of time to goto school... but a lot of that depends on your MOS and duty station along with (if intel) what level you are an intel bubba for.

4)you are free to do what you want... you are just under a contract just like a contract employee... you have to be where you are told, follow orders, and if you get in trouble you fall under their UCMJ... you are not a slave in the sense he's putting it. Though if they say you can't leave base, you can't leave base. that's part of following orders. also, you only fall under that kind of obligation for your active time... the other time is obligated time... and that just means they can call you back without legal recourse... and you have to maintain your uniforms until 90 days after your obligated time is over. also you DEP time is taken off your 4 years of obligated time. so one year in the DEP means you have 3 years in your obligated time.

they just want what they think is the best for you... you threw them a curve ball, one day when you have kids you'll understand their apprehension... once they see you walking across that parade deck they will think differently about your decission... I know because my parents felt the same way as yours have, and when I saw them on family day they couldn't have been more happy!! just be understanding, they love you very much... and express that to them as well.

i wish you luck.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If your 18 or over and you dont need their signature to let you join then show them that this is what you really want. Most people get a similar reaction when they tell their parents the news, I know I did. If you need to ask your recruiter to come to your house and have a talk with them with you, Im sure he would be glad to. Show them that regardless if they are supportive or not you will make this happen. They will come around.

wow... um, he doesn't need motivation here.. wait for his response now before anyone else posts... ok.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    also you DEP time is taken off your 4 years of obligated time. so one year in the DEP means you have 3 years in your obligated time.
    I didn't know that time in DEP counted against your time in service. Is that true?

*sigh* I'm just a SSgt, what the hell do I know.

I'll answer your question about my own statement... yes it's true.

every day in the DEP takes off time off your obligated time... just as I stated in the quoted text you have in your post.

next time use PM instead of looking so stupid.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all, Marines and Poolee's, for your input. I talked to the parents once again and nothing changed. Well never mind I take that back, they said they support me but they keep tossing out many other options that I can do with my life. I was supposed to go to MEPS friday but I postponed it Was really hard to do and it took me a long time to pick up the phone and call my recruiter. However I still have no doubts about enlisting I simply want their support. And it probably wasn't such a bad thing since currently there were no open positions for the top two MOS's I wanted. I will probably have to head to boot camp at the end of October instead of September as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    ...next time use PM instead of looking so stupid...
    That sounds like its gonna be in someone's signature line soon.

Thank you all, Marines and Poolee's, for your input. I talked to the parents once again and nothing changed. Well never mind I take that back, they said they support me but they keep tossing out many other options that I can do with my life. I was supposed to go to MEPS friday but I postponed it Was really hard to do and it took me a long time to pick up the phone and call my recruiter. However I still have no doubts about enlisting I simply want their support. And it probably wasn't such a bad thing since currently there were no open positions for the top two MOS's I wanted. I will probably have to head to boot camp at the end of October instead of September as planned.

You can still go ahead and get the paper work started with your recruiter. Don't wait till the last minute and expect him to jump through his arse for you because you waited.

Clearly your relationship with your parents means a lot to you or you would go to MEPS anyway. Thats not a bad call on your part. Try to keep the relationship strong but always remember that its your life to live as you see fit. They will come around once they see that this is going to happen reguardless of their opinion. No parent wants to loose out on the success's that their kids earn. Even becoming a Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    The only reason I did not go to MEPS is because of this: I want support for my decision and if my parents some how (if the planets align) end up talking me out of it then I do not want to be "That guy" who is considered a quitter and a disgrace for not holding up his Oath

The only reason I did not go to MEPS is because of this: I want support for my decision and if my parents some how (if the planets align) end up talking me out of it then I do not want to be "That guy" who is considered a quitter and a disgrace for not holding up his Oath

How old are you?

And if your parents don't support your next decission are you going to not do it also? Time to cut the cord and get on with making your own decissions if you are of age. Your parents might not like all of the decissions you make in life but it is your life. Enjoy it and persue your dreams while you are still young.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm 19. But its not the fact that they are just my parents. My entire side of my fathers family were in the Navy so they know quite a bit. And since I just mentioned that I was joining a few days ago I'm trying to soak up all of the information, good and bad, that they are throwing at me. Even though I talked to the recruiter on my own and did a lot of research I still dont want to pretend I know it all, they've been there and know what is in store for my decision.

If i were out of the house it definitely would be a entirely different story. But I am still living at home while attending a community college...

I'm 19. But its not the fact that they are just my parents. My entire side of my fathers family were in the Navy so they know quite a bit. And since I just mentioned that I was joining a few days ago I'm trying to soak up all of the information, good and bad, that they are throwing at me. Even though I talked to the recruiter on my own and did a lot of research I still dont want to pretend I know it all, they've been there and know what is in store for my decision.

If i were out of the house it definitely would be a entirely different story. But I am still living at home while attending a community college...
    My Dad was the first Marine on his side of the family. All my uncles were Navy. They tried to talk me into joining the Navy. Do you really think they know all about the Marine Corps? Especially the way it is today. I wouldn't expect anything less of them to try to talk you out of the Marine Corps and into the Navy. They are proud of their service and they should be. You have to decide if you just want to join the military or do you want to join the Marine Corps. There is a huge difference. We set examples while the rest follows along. Nothing wrong with that. But there can only be one point on the spear and we are it.

Thread Information