Broke the news to the parents today, i thought I made the right decision..
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Broke the news to the parents today, i thought I made the right decision..

I finally told my parents today that I was going to MEPS on Friday. I wanted to make sure that I had a definite answer before I even opened my mouth. When I told them I was hoping for encouragement. Instead my father called me a ******* idiot and said "Wow i've heard it all". My mom just stood there and said "Why would you want to come back in a body bag"? My dad, his brothers and father were all in the Navy. Now I guess my dad is against the military talking about having absolutely no freedom and the pay sucks. IMO its not about money at all but they dont seem to understand that. They say I'm a smart kid and that I have everything going for me so they wonder why I would even consider joining.

Personally I know this decision is up to me and its my life. But having no support base kind of sucks. My girlfriend supports me but who knows how that will be after boot. So here are some things that they mentioned. Could you please provide me with some more information so that I can further talk to them tonight?

1) 1st paycheck sucks because uniforms etc are deducted.

2) No matter the MOS you choose the Marines can still place you wherever they want outside of your "field of preference". Example I chose intel but could be placed in infantry.

3) You will have no time for college classes at your duty station.

4) Military literally owns you in the sense that all of your freedoms are taken for the entire 8 years of service. (I dont know what my father why trying to get at but thats the whole idea of a contract..)

I dont know if my parents think I want to enlist because of pay. If they think that then they are entirely wrong. I would just like some input so that I have definite straightforward answers next time I bring it up.

Thanks

There must be something with the Navy to have the views they have, I was told before enlisting that I would end up cutting grass and all other jobs besides my MOS from a family member that was in the Navy.

Nothing could be further from the truth, I worked my MOS the time I was in.

Do you pay for your uniforms and issue, yes. However you will still have money left over. Along with that you will receive an allowance for upkeep of your uniforms yearly.

Can you work on your education, yes. There are many Marines taking classes and advancing their education.

As for your freedoms, I call it discipline, you can't go and do stupid stuff that all your boys from home are doing, you can go and do what you want in the fleet, keeping in mind to stay out of trouble.

Don't let it get you down. My father's reaction wasn't similar to your dad's, but my mom's was. Mothers (like mine from non-military families) usually assume the worst when it comes to a child joining the military, especially during wartime.

From my vantage point, parents that are against their children enlisting usually latch onto one thing you say and attempt to exploit it. I made one off-handed comment about how "they have benefits to help you pay back student loans," and now they jump all over that and think that that is the reason I'm joining. It's funny actually.

Sorry that I can't give you substantive information regarding the processes, as I am not a Marine but a "pre-Poolee" like yourself, but I just wanted you to know that there are others with situations similar to yours, and that you shouldn't let it get you down. I'd be hard pressed to name a more noble and honorable profession and title than that of United States Marine. Your parents will see it differently when they see the changes in you at your graduation from boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnew161 View Post
    I don't know about while on active duty, but if/when you leave the Marine Corps, the new G.I. Bill is pretty loaded with educational benefits. Of course, I can't relay any firsthand info because I'm not in the service yet. I'd look around on here, or Google it. I think the name of it is Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act. It goes into effect on August 1, 2009 (per wikipedia).

Credits
    Savings
    My recruiter mentioned that as well. While stationed I would really like to finish up my semester remaining for my associates and then obtain my bachelors.

My dad even called my grandfather literally ten minutes later and told him to call me. He talked about the old days saying that (at least in the Navy) there was no MOS and they put you where they needed you. Regarding to my one question. If I am able to get the intel MOS what are the chances of being told by higher orders to put that job aside and leave on deployment for infantry. I guess thats what my parents main concern. They arent familiar with MOS's and fine print regarding.

Besides that thank you Corporal and Hog Wild

Quote Originally Posted by brandnew161 View Post
    I finally told my parents today that I was going to MEPS on Friday. I wanted to make sure that I had a definite answer before I even opened my mouth. When I told them I was hoping for encouragement. Instead my father called me a ******* idiot and said "Wow i've heard it all". My mom just stood there and said "Why would you want to come back in a body bag"? My dad, his brothers and father were all in the Navy. Now I guess my dad is against the military talking about having absolutely no freedom and the pay sucks. IMO its not about money at all but they dont seem to understand that. They say I'm a smart kid and that I have everything going for me so they wonder why I would even consider joining.

Personally I know this decision is up to me and its my life. But having no support base kind of sucks. My girlfriend supports me but who knows how that will be after boot. So here are some things that they mentioned. Could you please provide me with some more information so that I can further talk to them tonight?

1) 1st paycheck sucks because uniforms etc are deducted.

2) No matter the MOS you choose the Marines can still place you wherever they want outside of your "field of preference". Example I chose intel but could be placed in infantry.

4) Military literally owns you in the sense that all of your freedoms are taken for the entire 8 years of service. (I dont know what my father why trying to get at but thats the whole idea of a contract..)

I dont know if my parents think I want to enlist because of pay. If they think that then they are entirely wrong. I would just like some input so that I have definite straightforward answers next time I bring it up.
    Thanks
    1.It is what it is...but you wont see the money till the end of bootcamp and -accumulated money+ and earning that EGA= **** yea!
    2.- From what I was told you can have a guaranteed field...intel 02 or signals 26 but thats it just the actual field..the MOS will be decided by the needs of the corps etc..2631,2651 and so on.
    3.I have some friends in Aviation, and they have class time..its all about dedication and finding the right schedule and probably a bit of luck lol
    4.Freedoms taken away? in what terms? As far as I know there is still liberty and Vacation time. What other job gives you 30 days vacation a year? Yea im sure travel is restricted at times. Who knows im just a Poolee with friends in the Marines...so Im sure I am probably wrong on certain things.

-Read online, show them the benefits, why you chose the Marines and why you want to enlist. Show them why you are choosing that desired MOS field and how it can help you if/when you decide to leave and return to civilian life.
    Example. My parents where not all for me joining..didnt take it serious, I went to MEPS signed and then showed them I was serious and explained why. Showed them the fields I was interested in, 06 Comm and 26 Signals Intel. Showed them similar jobs in the civilian side that pay is at 6 figures..all jobs require 4+ years paid experience. Who else is going to pay my training, pay me for the job with no prior real world experience? I have college credits and graduated technical school in Computer Networking..thats not stopping me from becoming a Marine and Earning that EGA. I will start being more independent and being my own man, and if I deploy so be it I would probably volunteer for deployment, I want to protect my family and protect and preserve the same rights I have been given since birth in the United States of America.

By the end of my lil talk speech they where convinced I was making a well thought decision. Little by little they read about it and are more informed and accept and are proud of the decision I am taking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog Wild View Post
    they have benefits to help you pay back student loans," and now they jump all over that and think that that is the reason I'm joining.
    I'm of the understanding Marines do not help with college loans at all. The other branches do, though. If there is, then by all means let me know. I need it!

Quote Originally Posted by blackshirts View Post
    I'm of the understanding Marines do not help with college loans at all. The other branches do, though. If there is, then by all means let me know. I need it!
    The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for any veteran (regardless of branch of service) who served on or after September 11, 2001, from my understanding.

Credits
    Savings
    Well put Gnetics. Personally i just want Intel and for the key points you mentioned as well; experience, civilian practicality etc. My other top choices were Aviation mechanics and military police. However you wrote down you want to be in the intel field. Great. Now say theres a shortage of Marines on the front line and you are needed. Can you recieve orders to stop doing your fleet job and join the infantry. I wouldnt mind fighting for this country but I would just like to know so that I can tell my parents

While active duty you get tuition assistance up to a certain dollar amount a year.

Credits
    Savings
    Found this information on another website. Can someone verify this please?

"The fine print in their contract says that the Marine's MOS can be changed if the needs of the Corps changes"
    "It would be extremely rare for them to change him to an Infantry MOS if he is already designated as Non-infantry and has gone through the Non-infantry MCT."

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Personally I know this decision is up to me and its my life. But having no support base kind of sucks. My girlfriend supports me but who knows how that will be after boot.
    It may suck now, but it probably sucked for the millions of other people who's parents thought the same way as yours. Give it time and they will come around. At least mine did. If not before you ship, they damn well will the day you march past them on that parade deck.

1- Yes, that is true about the paycheck, but you still will have money, and considering housing is on base and paid for along with the on base food being paid for, plus you will be working in uniform, then what else would you be spending money on while going through training?

2- Infantry is maybe the hardest, and perhaps even most sought after MOS in the Corps, it's the reason why many people do enlist because they want to fight, Intel is also VERY hard, I went in open contract and sent in a job request for Cryptologic Linguist and Intel, my linguist job came through 2 months later, just keep on your recruiter about making sure you get the job you want before boot camp so you don't leave not knowing about what you will be doing.

3- I know three enlisted side recruiters in my RSS currently with a Bachelor's or more, but depending on your leave date, which most Poolee's are getting leave dates now for after the summer, I would try and work on those college course's until you leave, to ensure less work when you are a Marine.

4- You joined the Military, hence yes you are in a government job, but you can still have fun, just don't do anything stupid or illegal, you can drink if you are of age, get tattoos (up to five to my knowledge), and go on vacations (if approved by your CO, don't violate Article 86 of the UCMJ now), in general from my knowledge it is what you make it, and it is your choice so if you feel you made the right choice then be content with that and move forward on the journey to earn the title!

Mind you I am a Poolee still but I am in the recruiting office every day and have many Marine friends, I am just offering my two cents. Hope I helped!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    However you wrote down you want to be in the intel field. Great. Now say theres a shortage of Marines on the front line and you are needed. Can you recieve orders to stop doing your fleet job and join the infantry.
    Every non-infantry Marine goes through MCT for a reason, not sh!ts and giggles. If we got involved in a war that was really bad, the government would be handing Airmen rifles and saying "get some".
    There is a chance, but VERY HIGHLY unlikely.

Your paycheck is going to fluctuate a lot up until you get out of your MOS school and hit the fleet. And yes they can reclass you into another school and it has happened to many of my friends.

As far as free time goes, you will still have time to do MCIs and even MCAP when you are on student status, and for many schools it's highly encouraged. For example pretty much everyone leave Avionics A school with at least a few MCIs and at least a grey belt...

Thread Information