Running IN Boot Camp
Create Post

Running IN Boot Camp

In Boot Camp, do you mostly do the running like in formation runs, timed runs, and/or set lengths or are you doing the running mostly in obstacle courses, sprints, and things like that?

Reason I ask is (and I am not looking for sympathy, empathy, or any thing like that) but I just do better when I am told to just run, I can't run as well when I know the length or mileage we are running.

So I kind of hope we just do sprints, obstacle courses, and running exercises of that sort. Any one who can help on this?

Most of the runs are on your own, or they were for me. We did usually 3 mile runs or so but a few times we did formation runs. If you run better when you are just told to run, don't worry too much, the formation runs aren't that fast...the goal is to keep it together, not make the whole platoon fall out. you will also do some sprints sometimes...usually 100m or so...

I was never told how far I would be running, but pretty much all runs were done on your own in a formation, if that makes any sense. Basicly they take your IST run time and divy you up into groups with that and you'll run with your group but it's not really a formation run because most groups, especially the slow groups, just kind of fall apart. Also, I don't know if you care, but when I went in, I couldn't wait to do some kick ass motivating cadences during boot camp, but then, you don't, the most you'll say is like "left, left, left, right, leh ho." You won't even learn cadences until near the moto run, which I loved.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We do all of them at Boot Camp. There were several formation runs, timed runs for IST/PFTs, Several Sprints, Circuit Courses, O-Course. Don't think about what type of runs you do better at. Just keep running, train for PFT now so you won't have to worry about them as much.

If your going to parris island you're going to run one of like 3 routes:

-From the field at the ranges past the water tower, down to the four-way intersection, take a right, down to the beach, and back.

-The dirt road that goes behind leatherneck square and the roads that branch off of it.

-And for 3RD Battalion we just ran around our massive PT field.

I left boot camp in worse shape than when I arrived, running wise. If you are in good shape before boot camp like I was, and worked out a lot at home, you may just get fat in boot camp. I did. I went in at about 6' 3" and 175 pounds, doing 19 pull ups and in great shape. I left doing 18 pull ups and weighing almost 190. I lost about 40 pounds off my bench max.. my endurance was good but I lost a lot of strength. MCT also made me fat. Granted, I was pretty lazy about working out on my own and I ate like there was no tomorrow. But keep this in mind, poolees: work out on your own while in boot camp. We had people who had their pullups go from 12 to 20, and we also had people lose 3-5 pullups. The running isn't hard. Formation runs are a joke, the obstacle/confidance course isn't hard as long as you aren't rideculously out of shape or uncoordinated. Honestly, the 3 mile pft run is the hardest thing.. it was for me at least. And I've found that the run is half mental.. we had "in shape" recruits getting 22-23 minute times and some of the "fatbodies" getting 20-21's. It's all in your head. Also.. hydrate like a mofo. As my DIs always said..don't be the one that gets the silver bullet

Geez, where did all of these PFC's come from?

Bottom line is, each platoon is different and you'll never be told, "Okay recruits, we're going to run 3 miles today." All you'll know is that you have pt. For my company, we usually did series pt (3 platoons in your series) Monday, Wednesday, Friday which would vary between formation runs, o-course, confidence course, endurance course or other misc. runs. Tuesday's were usually MCMAP and Thursday's were your platoon's individual pt which for us was a lot of sprints in boots and ute's and always near the pull up bars so after you did a series of sprints, we'd do several max sets of pull ups, then sprints again and so forth until the drill instructor got tired.

Just stay focused during each pt session and if it makes sense, try and zone out when running in formation. If that's your weak point, just listen to the cadence and try and sound off as loud as you can. This will keep your mind off the running and improve your lung capacity so that over time, the runs will become easier for you.

my senior was huge on pullups, any downtime we had we did pyramids ..... the runs vary, you will do em all, dont worry, not a big deal, and as far as cadences go while there that depends on your DI's.....mine loved em so we did em on every formation run not just closer to the motto run....but what was cool about our Motto run was real motivating it was right after the new commandant of the Marine Corps took over and he ran with us and since we were honor Platoon we were up front and he even called cadence for us at one point

This all helps a lot, guess I am going to have to really work on my running seeing as how I have exactly THREE MONTHS until I get to Paradise Island lol. Any WM want to chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by bekster2008 View Post
    In Boot Camp, do you mostly do the running like in formation runs, timed runs, and/or set lengths or are you doing the running mostly in obstacle courses, sprints, and things like that?

Reason I ask is (and I am not looking for sympathy, empathy, or any thing like that) but I just do better when I am told to just run, I can't run as well when I know the length or mileage we are running.

So I kind of hope we just do sprints, obstacle courses, and running exercises of that sort. Any one who can help on this?
    Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. Stop stressing over running. That should be your least concern about Recruit Training

Thank you Fjmas, I understand that, as my recruiter says, Recruit Training is 10 percent physical 90 percent mental and 100 percent hard. But I would still like to know the regimen for running so I can somewhat prepare myself and know what to work on when I lead our RSS PT sessions.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Run Marine Run-then Run Sum More-4 Tha Corps

WE RAN WHERE EVER WE WENT CEPT 4 DRILL COMP.BUT WE RAN TOO THE GRINDER WHERE IT WAS HELD.WE EVEN RAN 2 THA HEAD,2THA RANGE,WE EVEN RAN IN OUR SQUAD BAY 2 THA RACK OF THA FUC UP THAT WAS GIVEN A BLANKET PARTY.CHIT WE EVEN RAN OFF THA BUS 2 THA YELLOW FOOTPRINTS!!!I'M STILL RUNNING 2 THA HEAD AT HOME,GOT A NEW GIRLFRIEND HER COOKING GIVES ME THA RUNS BUT SHE FUC'S SO GOOD IT'S WORTH IT

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68 View Post
    WE RAN WHERE EVER WE WENT CEPT 4 DRILL COMP.BUT WE RAN TOO THE GRINDER WHERE IT WAS HELD.WE EVEN RAN 2 THA HEAD,2THA RANGE,WE EVEN RAN IN OUR SQUAD BAY 2 THA RACK OF THA FUC UP THAT WAS GIVEN A BLANKET PARTY.CHIT WE EVEN RAN OFF THA BUS 2 THA YELLOW FOOTPRINTS!!!I'M STILL RUNNING 2 THA HEAD AT HOME,GOT A NEW GIRLFRIEND HER COOKING GIVES ME THA RUNS BUT SHE FUC'S SO GOOD IT'S WORTH IT
    Good answer, they should all listen to that,lmfao.

If you want to run alot, be a road guard. We ran around trees half the time waiting for the plattoon to catch up.

yeah, my question exactly... where'd all the PFCs come from?!

here's your perfect answer.... it all depends on what year you go, which time of year, which side of the country you goto boot camp, which battalion, which company, which series, which platoon and which senior drill instructor you will have.... so none of the Marines will be able to answer that for you... you'll just have to be prepared. It's all in your best interest and will be tailored to how your platoon is as a whole.... you aren't driving the bus, so just go along for the ride.

to all you young killers who posted, Semper Fi... and to you senior killers... Semper Fi Mac.

Thread Information