Training Substitution to Build 'Pull up' Muscles
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Training Substitution to Build 'Pull up' Muscles

I've been working on my training in a gym and, for some reason, it doesn't have a pull up bar and I can't find one except in my high school gym (I don't think they'd let me in just because I wanna join the USMC, though it would be righteous to get some practice on a real bar).

I've been using a overhead pull down machine (set at my weight) to simulate the strength requirement of a pull up.

Is this an acceptable alternative or should I be doing a different exercise/looking for a specific kind of machine?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Go to an elementary school when they aren't in school and use the play ground. Most elementary schools have monkey bars and the last one works well as a pull up bar.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BackhausD View Post
    Go to an elementary school when they aren't in school and use the play ground. Most elementary schools have monkey bars and the last one works well as a pull up bar.
    Or spend like 20 bucks for the Iron Gym pull-up bar. I use it and so do a lot of other poolies.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by kash View Post
    Or spend like 20 bucks for the Iron Gym pull-up bar. I use it and so do a lot of other poolies.
    I run two miles to get to my bar and do my workout then run back. It's free, you get running in too and I'd think it's more sturdy than one that rests on your door frame.
    But do what ever you want.

heres a thought, speak to the principal of the school if you havent yet, whats teh worst they could say, .... no?

GO for a run...take a small gym towel with you..sooner or later you will find a park with monkey bars or similar or a sturdy branch you can throw the towel over..Grab the one end of the towel with each hand and start the pullups and DO WORK! Works every time..and when I get Home I have my Iron Gym. Sturdy as hell as long as you have an IQ of 5 to put it together and follow instructions.. lol

The Iron Gym bar isn't to bad...I had one for awhile. The only thing I don't like about it, is the fact that you can't do wide arm pull ups on them. The bar just isn't wide enough to do it.

Lots and lots and lots of pushups helps too. Especially when your hands are on the ground and your feet are on a chair. Lots of them.

I like the running to a pullup bar idea. That makes for a balanced workout. Throw some pushups in there too. I think all poolies should get used to doing a lot of pushups, if nothing else, before boot camp.

Pushups are one of the best strength building exercies, in my opinion, and we do a metric f*ck ton of them in boot camp.

I found that doing push-ups and curls really help my pull-ups.
    Last month I could do 13-14 pull-ups, and then I stopped doing them for about 3 weeks, and just did weight lifting and push-ups and crunchs, and then I hopped up on a bar this last saturday and found I can do 18 of them...

If you do the pull-ups with your palms facing toward you like I do, curls and push-ups will really help your pull-ups.
    If you cant get acsess to a pull-up bar just do tons of what I mentioned above and i'm sure you will improve.

I'm sure if you ask your pricipal, like said before, you would be able to use the school gym. I'm in a weight training class at my school, and what i've found works for pullups is doing a combo of lat-pulldowns and pushups.

And I don't really trust those door frame pull up things. A friend of mine(now at MCRD) almost broke his tailbone once because the thing failed and he fell.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you have the room to do so, spend a day and go to home depot and make one. A few 2x4's and a bar will get the job done I did it for around $20. Like some have already said push ups are a good core excercise that will help out also.

do reps, do 1 pullup, 20 pushups, 2pull ups, 20 pushups, 3 pull ups 20 pushups, until you get to 10 and then work your way down, and have a spotter that way wen u cant do any more have your spotter help you not push you up but to just assist u a lil and give a slight boost making you still use the muscles in your arms, i went from doing 3 pullups to 15 in a few weeks doing that at boot

It really depends on how you do your pullups. If you do palms facing you, then do curls, pushups, and lat pull down bars. If you do palms facing out (away) then pushups, lat pull down, and anything else that works your upper back muscles.

Actually, I'd tell ya to train to do it both ways. That way when you max out doing it one way, you can switch your grip and squeeze out one or two more.

If you can find an assisted pull-up machine, use it even if you don't need it. Go under first ( assistance with higher reps) then over (try to find ankle weights for more resistance and less reps). The under/over technique build your endurance and then your strength. Straight body weight works, but this way will make you progress much faster.

Thread Information