MEPS saturday. Some questions.
Create Post

MEPS saturday. Some questions.

Hey!
    This is my first post. Im a green card holder from Europe so If I spell something wrong, that's why. lol
    I filled out my profile but let me know if I didn't do it enough.

Im going to MEPS on Saturday for my physical. I've already taken the ASVAB test and I wanna join the Marine Corps Reserves.
    A few questions.

My recruiter (GySgt) told me that my tattoos should not be a problem. I have 5 of them and they are not visible in PT gear. One on my back, one on my biccep and 2 small on the inside of my bicceps. Plus one small down on my leg, covered by my socks. What I wanna know is, who's making the final decision about my tattos? Is it the doctor at MEPS?

Do I need to bring some kind of proof that my tattos are not gang related?
    Im thinking about anything that will help my case.
    The tattoos are nothing special really, Soccer team logo, my wifes initials, christian cross on my back and the name of my dog and birthdate. (goofy, yeah I know. lol)

Allright, I hope my questions isnt to stupid or in the wrong forum.
    Thanks in advance,
    Scandinavian

Far as I know, you have to get waviers, write statements on them. The statement contains, Where, When and Why you got the tattoos.

The Medical doctor has nothing to do with the final decision, it's the Marine Corps liaisons who calls the DQ on them.

Also I should add they can't represent any gang affiliations or meanings in an offensive form.

You shouldn't have any problems during MEPS. You will be required to take pictures of your body art at MEPS and they will be put in your SRB. Also, upon arriving at MCRD your CO will come around and look at your tattoos, scars, birth marks and such and will ask you how and why you acquired them. Also not a big deal.

Yeah you should be fine, you have nothing really to worry about. The only bad thing is that you do need a tattoo waiver and that could take some time. Welcome to the hurry up and wait.

I don't see anything wrong with those tattoo's, so I think you should be good, just need waivers for them, and that's really about it.

Allright, thanks for the answers! Appreciate it!
    I'll keep you all updated and let you know
    how it goes Saturday.

Thanks,
    Scandinavian

Does he need a waiver because he has 5 tattoos? Or do you need a waiver if you have only 1?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I believe it depends on the service, Jensen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jensen139
    Does he need a waiver because he has 5 tattoos? Or do you need a waiver if you have only 1?

They never told me about needing a waiver for my tattoo, but that doesn't mean I didn't. They did take a picture of it, and I had to write a statement about it... both of which were no big deal. Mine is on my inner right forearm btw.

One piece of advice is to expect you'll need a waiver and have everything prepared to get one.

For a tattoo waiver you are required to have:

-3 professional or school related references. Choose those and ask them if they are willing to fill out a reference form before going to MEPs.
    -An explaination of what your tattoos are, where they are, and why you got them. At least have an idea of what youre going to say.
    -A statement of all your accomplishments and charitable things youve done in your life (Boy Scouts, volunteering, school groups, sports, whatever). Start thinking now. ANYTHING is better than nothing.
    -An interview with a gang task force detective. Your recruiter should set up a meeting so dont worry about this now.

Bottom line is, the more prepared you are BEFORE you need a waiver, the faster and easier it will be to get one. It took me over a month to get mine and I lost out on getting the job I wanted.

Good luck

Thread Information