Marine gaining in new mission
Sunday, March 08, 2009
By Jessica Driscoll
jdriscoll@sjnewsco.com

Since Marine Cpl. Raymond Hennagir returned to New Jersey in September 2007, he's made a lot of important strides.

"It's nice being able to relax when I'm home," said Hennagir in a phone interview from the Walter Reed Army Medical Center. "But, I'm not back home permanently yet and probably not for another year."

Hennagir was nearly killed by an explosive device in June 2007 in Zaidon, Iraq. He lost both legs and four fingers on his left hand in the blast and was treated at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., before moving to outpatient care at Walter Reed, where he received prosthetics.

He gets physical therapy at Walter Reed during the week and often returns to his parents' house in Deptford on weekends.

"They do a really good job here," said Hennagir of the staff at Walter Reed. "Lately, I've been up and walking a lot more than I'm in my wheelchair. I'm mostly now working on building endurance in my legs as well as balance and walking."

Hennagir did a marathon in Palm Beach in December, finishing in two hours and 18 minutes.

Through his recovery, the injured Marine credits his family for remaining by his side.

"I got married in June 2008," he said. "We're actually working on buying a house in Deptford now."

Hennagir and wife, Sherri, recently moved into an apartment outside Washington, D.C., where they could live during his time at Walter Reed. For the holidays, Sherri and stepdaughter, Kelsey, spent Christmas in D.C. and the day after Christmas with his family and Sherri's parents in New Jersey.

"It's been really awesome to have such a supportive family because they're the people that help push you along through everything," said Hennagir. "For the most part it's not that bad Ð hard sometimes, yes, but not bad. To someone coming back in a situation similar to mine and doing rehab, I'd say, ÔKeep your head up.' Life goes on, and even though it's a long process, things will fall into place."

The home Hennagir hopes to buy in Deptford requires quite a bit of work to make it handicapped-accessible and to ensure that it meets standards set by the Office of Veterans Affairs. The purchase is likely to be a long process, he said, with renovations followed by furnishing.

According to Bob Simcox, a family friend and treasurer of a fund set up for Hennagir, the donated funds are safe from the risks of the current economy.

"He's in good shape right now, still being paid by the Marines, and some agencies are stepping forward to help with the work on the house," said Simcox. "But we do need to look to the future. He's married and raising a little girl now, and there's likely to be long-term needs. We'd welcome any gifts or contributions to Ray's future."

Simcox said those interested in making a donation should send it to Hennagir's parents, Jim and Donna English, at 100 Wilshire Drive in Deptford and mark it for the Raymond Hennagir Benefit Fund.

"He's very grateful for everything that's been given to him and is very humbled by it," said Simcox. "He is such a mature man after going through all of this, surpassing any other 22-year-old I've ever known, and we're all just grateful to know him."

Ellie