Warrant officer?
Create Post

Warrant officer?

Is it worth it? What are the chances of me becoming a non-commisioned officer? I had someone mention it to me. He said I should really look into it. I know they get good pay and benefits. But thats not what I am worried about. Will it be worth it? Please give me some info, thanks!! You guys are helping me out a lot and I know i'm asking a lot of questions. I just want to get all the info I can, thanks again!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The chances of you becoming a Non Commisioned Officer are....slim to none until you become a Marine Corps recruit & Pvt.Then after time & grade and a selection board and recommendations from your superiors do you start thinking about WO ranks. Visit the Officer thread to find out more about becoming an officer.You have along way to go to worry about WO. semper-Fi! Chuck Hall

Haha Phantom. That was funny

What do I have to strive harder at to become a warrant officer later down the road so when they look back at my record i would qualify for one. I already have 2 full qauters of school behind me. What else? I know a few senators (2) I have heard that if you get them to 'push' for you you have more chances..?

Senators won't help you. MOS credibility combined with a proven ability to lead is the key for any board whether it be a promotion board or WO selection.

As stated above, your putting the cart before the horse. I went to boot camp in June of 85 with only the goal of being an 0311. Little did I know that I would get accepted for MECEP and later earn a commission. I didn't even know about Officer programs during my first tour.

Good advice from the other Marines here. In my short stay in the Marine Corps I've seen just a few Warrant Officers but I don't think any of them were less than a Staff Sergeant before they got selected.

Registered User Free Member VMGRMech's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You need to be a Sgt with 7.5 yaers of service. So don't even worry about it for now

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    First you start with definitions.

A Marine Corps Officer is commissioned for his leadership potential, and during the course of his career will be assigned various billets.

A Warrant Officer is selected for his expertese in a particular field, and remains in that field.

For example. As a Communicator, when a Lt. was the CommO, I knew his experience was limited to Basic School and CommO Officers School. Therefore, he had much to learn from me.

Particularly,since I had taken the CommO Officers correspondence course through the Marine Corps Institute (MCI).

When a Warrant Officer was the CommO, I knew he had his **** together, and I could (and did) learn a lot from him.

To the best of my recollection, other than a program for helicopter pilots who were given a WO rank during Vietnam, all those selected for the WO program were Staff NCO's.

I will not argue with anyone with more recent experience than mine.

Thread Information