USMC Reserve - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USMC Reserve

You will for sure be the "old man" within the recruits, haha. Kick azz in bootcamp Ryan.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdoc View Post
    You will for sure be the "old man" within the recruits, haha. Kick azz in bootcamp Ryan.

HAHA...So I've already been told

Thanks for the comment

Credits
    Savings
    I do have one question...I've been reading on here about people worried about passing the IST, but are already in the DEP. From my understanding I thought you have to do 3 pull ups, 1.5 mile run in 13.5 min and 50 sit ups in 2min just to get into the DEP program. Anyways I did talk to my recruiter this afternoon and he seems very positive that if i can pass the IST that I'll get my age waiver and get into the DEP program. My question is: Do you have to pass the IST to get into the DEP program or is my recruiter having me pass the IST just for the age waiver? Any advise will be helpful. I'm working my arse off to get back in shape.

Thanks
    RyanO

you are required to pass the IST to get into DEP but its mainly on the recruiters word whether u can pass or not , once you get to boot black friday is the day you go through the IST if you fail you go to Pork Chop Platoon......if you pass you go back to your normal platoon

Age waivers are something I have a lot of first hand knowledge on and here's what I've experienced and learned over the last 3 months concerning the application/approval process (I turned 29 in September of 2008):

As it was explained to me, there are two motivating factors behind the Marine Corps age limit (whether you agree or not, this is what I was told):

* Physical - Most people over the age of 28 haven't taken care of their bodies in a long time if ever. Now they're out of shape and since they're older, they're bodies recover from the rigors of bootcamp slower than the younger recruits and they won't adapt.

* Mental - The 28+ year old Private who is used to living in their own world will have a hard time willfully obeying the 22 year old Corporal telling them to pluck the two stray pubes dangling off the back of the head.

* The maximum age without an age waiver for enlisted full time active and reserve is 28 (though I've also been told before your 28th birthday so ::shrug: I've heard 32 but only if you're prior service.
    * My age waiver process was started in early November 2008, it was approved January 13, 2009. Just so you have an idea of how much time it can take.
    * I wasn't required to take an IST, I was required to do a full blown PFT. There was no minimum score, I was just told to score as high as possible and honestly, if you can't obtain a perfect score on the PFT you better score pretty close. From what I understand, your PFT score will be a huge factor in whether or not you're approved.
    * I had to have an interview with the CO at MEPS, a Major. (This turned out to be a pretty informal affair)
    * Had to write an essay on why I want to be a marine and why I'm making the decision so late in life.
    * Had to write a statement saying that I am single and have no dependents.
    * Had to write a statement concerning a DUI I was arrested for in 2003.
    * Needed to have a minimum of 3 DD370 forms (request for character reference) preferably from public officials and one from a supervisor.
    * Pictures of my arm tattoo while wearing a PT shirt and a Charlie shirt.
    * A high Asvab/GT score helps a bunch.
    * There may be more but this is all I can come up with now.

Once my package was put together (All the above documentation along with all the standard medical forms, consent forms, background check, etc) it needed to be approved by the CO at MEPs, then approved again by a Colonel in Kansas City, and final approval was up to General Salinas who commands the western recruiting region and MCRD in San Diego.

That's the gist of it, PM me if you would like more info.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by kt3of3 View Post
    Age waivers are something I have a lot of first hand knowledge on and here's what I've experienced and learned over the last 3 months concerning the application/approval process (I turned 29 in September of 2008):

As it was explained to me, there are two motivating factors behind the Marine Corps age limit (whether you agree or not, this is what I was told):

* Physical - Most people over the age of 28 haven't taken care of their bodies in a long time if ever. Now they're out of shape and since they're older, they're bodies recover from the rigors of bootcamp slower than the younger recruits and they won't adapt.

* Mental - The 28+ year old Private who is used to living in their own world will have a hard time willfully obeying the 22 year old Corporal telling them to pluck the two stray pubes dangling off the back of the head.

* The maximum age without an age waiver for enlisted full time active and reserve is 28 (though I've also been told before your 28th birthday so ::shrug: I've heard 32 but only if you're prior service.
    * My age waiver process was started in early November 2008, it was approved January 13, 2009. Just so you have an idea of how much time it can take.
    * I wasn't required to take an IST, I was required to do a full blown PFT. There was no minimum score, I was just told to score as high as possible and honestly, if you can't obtain a perfect score on the PFT you better score pretty close. From what I understand, your PFT score will be a huge factor in whether or not you're approved.
    * I had to have an interview with the CO at MEPS, a Major. (This turned out to be a pretty informal affair)
    * Had to write an essay on why I want to be a marine and why I'm making the decision so late in life.
    * Had to write a statement saying that I am single and have no dependents.
    * Had to write a statement concerning a DUI I was arrested for in 2003.
    * Needed to have a minimum of 3 DD370 forms (request for character reference) preferably from public officials and one from a supervisor.
    * Pictures of my arm tattoo while wearing a PT shirt and a Charlie shirt.
    * A high Asvab/GT score helps a bunch.
    * There may be more but this is all I can come up with now.

Once my package was put together (All the above documentation along with all the standard medical forms, consent forms, background check, etc) it needed to be approved by the CO at MEPs, then approved again by a Colonel in Kansas City, and final approval was up to General Salinas who commands the western recruiting region and MCRD in San Diego.

That's the gist of it, PM me if you would like more info.

Great info!! Thank you!

Just wondering is this for Reserve or Active duty? I'm hearing that active is a pain to get into, but Reserves seems easier on age and all...??...

Quote Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
    Great info!! Thank you!

Just wondering is this for Reserve or Active duty? I'm hearing that active is a pain to get into, but Reserves seems easier on age and all...??...
    Reserve. Everything that I've been told indicates that the standards are the same whether active or reserve.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by kt3of3 View Post
    Reserve. Everything that I've been told indicates that the standards are the same whether active or reserve.

Thank you for the update!

Credits
    Savings

Worried

Now I'm getting really worried about all these waivers I'm going to need. Age, Tattoo, Family..etc. I guess I need to really go down and talk to my recruiter. I really hope for the best, but the more research I do, the more it looks like a slim chance. The only good thing I've got going so far is no criminal record. Use to work for the Sheriffs office as a reserve patrol, so that may look good. Just getting worried

Tattoos are the following:

Big Japanese art tattoo on my left sholder almost down to half way point on my biceps.

Two nautical stars on the back of my arms: One blue and One green. Right on the half way point of my back arms. You can see them a little bit in a T-shirt and or a polo. Not much though.

A black detailed shamrock on my left upper ankle. Can be coved by a shock.

Thats all I guess. I just never really thought Tattoos where a big deal. I did tell my recruiter about them, the only thing he said was "As long as they are not gang related then there will be no issue, just a waiver".

Anyways, thanks for reading my worries

Ryan

Last edited by RyanO; 03-07-09 at 10:10 PM. Reason: detail

We had a guy in my platoon at boot who was 33. I don't know what kind of waivers he had to get.. he was a police officer in New York, everyone just called him NYPD. He was in good shape for an old man though, he could definitely outrun and outpull a lot of the 18-20 year olds in the platoon.

Thread Information