What are the chances of getting DQ'd?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

What are the chances of getting DQ'd?

Alright so I've been actively looking into joining the Marine Corps, I have several friends that are in and they are all an inspiration to me. When I was a freshman in highschool I got diagnosed with something called Schuermans Kyphosis, very minor at that. The orthopedic surgeon I met with decided to give me a brace to wear at nights just to ensure that it would not get any worse over time. I'm 20 years old now and am in no way held back by it at all. I work out with no problems and my job is pretty physical (lifting 50+ pounds for hours at a time). I was told that my curve was in the 9th percentile which is very minor and I'm not even close to being considered for surgery. I'm worried that I will get disqualified at MEP's for this and my dream will get derailed. So if anyone could give me any reassurance or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you Marines.

IF you get DQ'd you can always try to ask for a waiver, but there is only so much you can do.

I have a good friend who's dream was to go to the Air Force Academy, his paperwork was done, he was recommended to go, everything was perfect. The only thing he had to do was pass the medicial examine.

He had a back problem as well from way back in elementary school that was corrected, he was DQ'd.

Its not the end of the world if you are DQ'd. You can still move on and do good things in life.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    IF you get DQ'd you can always try to ask for a waiver, but there is only so much you can do.

I have a good friend who's dream was to go to the Air Force Academy, his paperwork was done, he was recommended to go, everything was perfect. The only thing he had to do was pass the medicial examine.

He had a back problem as well from way back in elementary school that was corrected, he was DQ'd.

Its not the end of the world if you are DQ'd. You can still move on and do good things in life.
    Thank you Corporal, I've done some more research and found the medical guidelines for Military service. It says a kyphotic curvature of more than 55 degrees is grounds for disqualification. Mine is way under 55 degrees so hopefully I should be good to go.

Medical

As a Navy Medical type past 30 years. Don't worry if you can do pullups and curl ups and don't have flat feet they will take you. Always apply and never give up. Never let anyone tell you that you won't make it. If you can't be a Marine the Navy will take you and you can serve as a Corpsman. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by swmdo View Post
    As a Navy Medical type past 30 years. Don't worry if you can do pullups and curl ups and don't have flat feet they will take you. Always apply and never give up. Never let anyone tell you that you won't make it. If you can't be a Marine the Navy will take you and you can serve as a Corpsman. Semper Fi
    Welcome to the site. Please fill out your profile.

Thread Information