0211 Counter Intel
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

0211 Counter Intel

Oohrah Marines,

I would like to start by saying I previously had a different name on this site, but that was back before Recruit Training and I can't remember what it was. So, I made this one.

I am currently an 0481 (Landing Support) on active duty, stationed in Okinawa. I am interested in doing a lat-move to 0211, Counter Intel. My reasons for this are many and varied.

I understand in order to lat-move into 0211 you must be an NCO with at least two years remaining on your contract after schooling. Obviously, this lat-move would not happen right away. It would be within the next year. I am open to re-enlisting (or extending first, if need be) in order to do this lat-move. I have looked at all the other requirements and fit the bill (I turn 21 in a month).

My reason for this post is simply for advice or stories. What is it like being an 0211? I have heard that CI/HUMINT Marines deploy a lot in today's world, and that is fantastic. Is this one of those MOS's in which you can't really say "Well, the day to day life of an 0211 is like this...?"

What, if anything, can I do to prepare myself for the lat-move? I have taken the DLAB and passed, albiet barely. I scored 104. Does this qualify me to learn a Cat4 language? Is this waiverable or is the DLAB retestable if this score is insufficient. From what I have gathered on the internet, the Marine Corps requires a 100 to pass the DLAB, but I have been unable to find information on if they have higher score requirements for the individual language categories.

If nothing else, I would greatly appreciate it if some CI/HUMINT Marines could give some stories, generic things that I might have to look forward to, if I make the cut.

Any tips, advice, general suggestions, or stories are much appreciated.

Thanks Marines.

Semper Fi.

I'll answer this one this evening when I have more time...stand by!

Roger that. I look forward to the response, Cpl.

Semper Fi.

Just a quick bump.

My apologies for not getting to this sooner but thanks for being patient.

I was an 0231 but for two years, I was attached to one of the CI Teams in our battalion and was pretty much an 0211 without the schooling. I did everything exept interrogations but I sat in on well over 100 during our time deployed. If I had stayed in, I would definitely have lat moved over to the 0211 field as it is an awesome MOS to have while you're in the Marine Corps and gives you a job skill that will help you tremendously if/when you get out.

The MOS itself does not have a defined day while deployed. The deployment rate is pretty substantial for any of the 3 intelligence battalion based CI companies (usually 7 months deployed and 5 back in Conus) but while at home, there are quite a few schools you can attend (Jump, HRP, SERE, Defensive Driving, Surveillance, CI advanced course) as well as any unit training. While deployed, the company is broken into teams of 6-9 Marines usually consisting of a 1st Lt or Warrant Officer, junior Gunny or Senior SSgt and then the remaining members consisting of SSgt's and Sgt's. I can't really go into a day in the life kind of thing because a lot of that is sensitive information but it's a fun job to have and you will never be bored. You are also on your own a lot and are given a lot of flexibility to do what you think is best to complete your mission.

You're usually attached to an infantry battalion and are there to support the battalion commander by providing humint intelligence and collection, interrogation of detainees and force protection recommendations.

I'm not sure exactly what else you want to know so if you've got more specific questions, I'll be happy to help you out.

Thank you for that excelent info, Cpl. I look forward to the day that I can lat-move.

You may not know the answer to this one, but what about the DLAB? I took it and scored a 104. Is that sufficient to learn a Cat4 language, or can I retake the test and try to score higher?

Again, thanks for the response. Semper Fi, Cpl.

I was a spanling. 104 is fine. At DLI they will put you into any language, taking your DLAB into consideration, but it doesn't have the final say. While I was at DLI all counter intel Marines were put into arabic or another middle eastern language.

This is good news. Thanks for the info, Cpl.

Just a gentle bump, in case someone else finds this thread of interest or has more info.

Quote Originally Posted by JWDevilDog View Post
    Thank you for that excelent info, Cpl. I look forward to the day that I can lat-move.

You may not know the answer to this one, but what about the DLAB? I took it and scored a 104. Is that sufficient to learn a Cat4 language, or can I retake the test and try to score higher?

Again, thanks for the response. Semper Fi, Cpl.
    • 85 for a Category I language (Dutch, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish)
    • 90 for a Category II language (German)
    • 95 for a Category III language (Belorussian, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Persian, Polish, Russian, Serbian/Croatian, Slovak, Tagalog [Filipino], Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese)
    • 100 for a Category IV language (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean)
    Got the information here: http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dlab_3.htm

Did you go to 3rd INTL BN, CI/HUMINT Co and speak with someone in the OJT platoon/section? That would be the place to get the most accurate answers to your questions.

Don't worry about DLI; typically with an MOS like 0211 they would rather have you deploy than learn MSA Arabic (which is useless in Iraq and Afghanistan for the most part). As others mentioned, they deploy so much you really won't have to to go to a 13 month (or however long) course. Few go to DLI out of the schoolhouse, and you only have to be willing to take the DLAB, not actually take it.

...btw, good luck with your decision to LAT move, hope it works out for you.

When I was in 29Palms I went through the entire process to lat move to 0211. I went and talked to the CI unit on CAMPEN. I had to write a 500(?) word essay on a terrorist organization. They reviewed my packet information, letters of rec, PFT scores, rifle scores, etc. Then I had an interview with a Lt. and a couple of Sgt's. At the time the MOS was 0211 for CI, and then 0251 I believe was Interrogator. The interview was almost like an interrogation in and of itself and was extremely stressful. I scored a 96 on the DLAB, believe I probably would have learned Farsi is I had to go to DLI. Mostly the 51's went to DLI, now maybe they both go? MOS's merger perhaps, cannot remember.

I found out that I was accepted and my reenlistment package was put through. At that time the reenlistment bonus was a multiplier of 5. Bonus would have been 30K.

I was home-sick while in Okinawa (over 9/11) and ended up turning the reenlistment down. I missed my kid and my wife and figured I would miss them more with the deployments.

It is one of my biggest regrets. Man that was a tough one. I kept the reenlistment package from the jammer so I can show my kids that I was an Ok Marine.

Good luck to you, and I hope you get it.

Cory

Quote Originally Posted by JWDevilDog View Post
    Oohrah Marines,

I would like to start by saying I previously had a different name on this site, but that was back before Recruit Training and I can't remember what it was. So, I made this one.

I am currently an 0481 (Landing Support) on active duty, stationed in Okinawa. I am interested in doing a lat-move to 0211, Counter Intel. My reasons for this are many and varied.

I understand in order to lat-move into 0211 you must be an NCO with at least two years remaining on your contract after schooling. Obviously, this lat-move would not happen right away. It would be within the next year. I am open to re-enlisting (or extending first, if need be) in order to do this lat-move. I have looked at all the other requirements and fit the bill (I turn 21 in a month).

My reason for this post is simply for advice or stories. What is it like being an 0211? I have heard that CI/HUMINT Marines deploy a lot in today's world, and that is fantastic. Is this one of those MOS's in which you can't really say "Well, the day to day life of an 0211 is like this...?"

What, if anything, can I do to prepare myself for the lat-move? I have taken the DLAB and passed, albiet barely. I scored 104. Does this qualify me to learn a Cat4 language? Is this waiverable or is the DLAB retestable if this score is insufficient. From what I have gathered on the internet, the Marine Corps requires a 100 to pass the DLAB, but I have been unable to find information on if they have higher score requirements for the individual language categories.

If nothing else, I would greatly appreciate it if some CI/HUMINT Marines could give some stories, generic things that I might have to look forward to, if I make the cut.

Any tips, advice, general suggestions, or stories are much appreciated.

Thanks Marines.

Semper Fi.

A 104 on the DLAB allows you to take what ever language they offer, Marine Corps standards or not. Also if a re-enlistment is no bother to you, then I suggest to you this. Wait until your first term is up, learn as much as you can about being a Marine. If you have the opportunity to pick up Cpl in your first term and gain that experience as a NCO and leader thats better. The MOS may be open to first termers, but CI/HUMINT Marines want experienced, mature and well not boots who are going to be able to get the job done with little to no supervision. Working in a team of 4-6 every Marine needs to be able to do what they have to in order to complete the mission. I have already completed my LAT move and am waiting to check into my next unit for OJT. If and when I pass the school and someday may be asked to do a recruiting board; and a Marine not near the end of their first term is before me, unless they absolutely wow me I'm not going to recommend them on the sole basis they haven't been in long enough to know how the Marine Corps operates. There are certain qualities that a near second term Marine has and if that first term Marine doesn't have them it will be blatantly obvious on the board and they will get eaten up. So as I come off my soap box my message is this, wait until your first term is up.

How long is the school for CI? If you could PM me, that would be great.. i have some questions since I may lat move as well.

Thread Information