Protein Shake Dangers?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Protein Shake Dangers?

I was just wondering if there are dangers to taking Protien Shakes.
    I have heard people say stuff about them but never got any clear idea on it.

I started taking protein shakes about 2-3 weeks ago, after I got back from MEPS.
    And I have gained 9 lbs.

I usualy take one in the morning after I work out, and then one before I go to bed after I've done a load of push-ups and crunches.

(I am 5'8 and weight 128)

Any knowlage about how much of this is safe to take will be appreciated.

Note that I also eat other foods, like potatoes, eggs, cheese, beef when I can get my hands on it, fruits, ect.

It depends on how much you take daily and your activity level. Too much protein can make your liver and kidneys work overtime.

here is a link of an overview that came up when "too much protein" is googled

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=50900

If you're trying to build mass there are better ways than just straight up protein. But if you wanna stick with protein the only negative is that its bad on your kidneys. When I was big into lifting I took in around 100-120g of protein each day. Since you're a lot smaller than me, I suggest sticking with the amount you're at now to be safe.

Good luck.

Thanks for that link.

I'm still unsure if I am overdoing it.

Each serving of that shake is 20grams of protein.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGunz90 View Post
    If you're trying to build mass there are better ways than just straight up protein. But if you wanna stick with protein the only negative is that its bad on your kidneys. When I was big into lifting I took in around 100-120g of protein each day. Since you're a lot smaller than me, I suggest sticking with the amount you're at now to be safe.

Good luck.

What are better ways?

Quote Originally Posted by Rains View Post
    What are better ways?
    A buddy of mine used Mass XXX and he gained about 20 pounds off of it in a month and a half. You can get it GNC or any supplement store. There are others out there also so take a look. Your diet looks good, eating lots of carbs helps out a lot.

Protein isn't bad for you, if you don't take too much of it.

Good luck man.

Make sure you know this first, if the powder is 100% Protein there ARE NO NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS WHATSOEVER.

Make sure whatever you buy is 100 % Whey protein(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey) Whey is a by product of milk when it is made into cheese, yogurt, etc. Using it in a shake is very beneficial in the 30 minute window before and after a workout. I use it because of the convenience and benefits, its filled with vitamins and essential amino acids. But whats most important is that the gains you make while on will not disappear like when you use that other chemical suppliment bull****. The shake could just as easily be a peanut butter sandwich, or some turkey or tuna or whatever, but whey is the fastest, most beneficial, and smartest choice. Its crucial to get that protein in that recovery window of 30 minutes post workout.

A nice shake to make would be something like this
    1 Scoop of 100% Whey Protein(I use Vanilla from GNC)
    1/2 Cup of Blueberries/ or Bananas/ or Strawberries
    2 tsp Ground Flax seed(dietary suppliment to help you digest food throughout the day) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax_seed
    1sp Peanut Butter
    1 Cup of Non-fat Milk

I have that every day when I wake up. On workout days(i.e. days you hit weights) have a scoop of protein in some water post workout. The gains will be slow but they will be natural, which is the most important, and you will be healthier and much stronger!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I always heard the rule of thumb was 1 real meal a day.

Don't take to much and drink a lot of water.... Whey protein is good but I like 24 hour protein mix by GNC, has a good blend of fast burning whey protein and slow burning casein protein.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Ingesting too much protein is really never a problem. The body is unable to store energy in the form of protein, excess consumed protein is broken down and converted into sugars or fatty acids. The liver removes nitrogen from the amino acids, so that they can be burned as fuel, and the nitrogen is incorporated into urea, the substance that is excreted by the kidneys. Your body normally can take the increased amounts of protein, but the only way to know if it can't is experiencing kidney failure...which probably isn't fun, but can be cured easily with a decrease in protein consumption.

My suggestion is just eat more. People have been putting on muscle mass for ages without protein powder and shakes...so you can too. Eat six good meals through out the day and you will put on weight.
    If you are not lifting, then you should. Push ups are not going to put on muscle mass like lifting will.

Quote Originally Posted by BackhausD View Post
    Ingesting too much protein is really never a problem. The body is unable to store energy in the form of protein, excess consumed protein is broken down and converted into sugars or fatty acids. The liver removes nitrogen from the amino acids, so that they can be burned as fuel, and the nitrogen is incorporated into urea, the substance that is excreted by the kidneys. Your body normally can take the increased amounts of protein, but the only way to know if it can't is experiencing kidney failure...which probably isn't fun, but can be cured easily with a decrease in protein consumption.

My suggestion is just eat more. People have been putting on muscle mass for ages without protein powder and shakes...so you can too. Eat six good meals through out the day and you will put on weight.
    If you are not lifting, then you should. Push ups are not going to put on muscle mass like lifting will.
    In a simpler fashion in what he said. Eating protein that you're not using will just make you fatter! DO NOT be the fat guy that thinks he'll get skinny by eating protein powder, and then wonder why you gained even more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I always heard the rule of thumb was 1 real meal a day.
    What would that be?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    In a simpler fashion in what he said. Eating protein that you're not using will just make you fatter! DO NOT be the fat guy that thinks he'll get skinny by eating protein powder, and then wonder why you gained even more weight.
    That is true PFC, but you can still ingest too much protein even if you burn off more calories than the protein has. Your body can only take so much protein, after that it turns the amino acids into other substances(glucose and lipids) your body can use for energy. The waste from that process is taken out of your blood by your kidneys. If your kidneys have to do it too much, you will go into renal failure and you could die....however it's unlikely you will die if you go to a doc.
    You could be losing weight, but still be ingesting too much of it.

But like PFC Qwarkeh said, if you eat all this protein and do nothing to burn it off, you might as well enjoy your food and get some McDonalds because you will gain weight either way...and it wont be muscle.

Protein is fine, just remember that you can't live off nothing but protein. Since you're eating regular meals in addition to the shakes you'll be fine. Remember that your body needs carbs and fat and not just protein in order to function properly. When lifting heavily to gain mass 100g of protein a day isn't that large of a number, especially when balancing it out with regular food as mentioned.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Why,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    What would that be?
    Peanuts and beer, of course.

Thread Information