Sgt. Vernon Adcock
Create Post

Sgt. Vernon Adcock

Sgt. Adcock was my grandfather. I was told at his funeral that he was a Drill Instructor on Parris Island. I have always known he was a Marine. I have seen his bootcamp book. Comparing it with my fathers and my sisters is pretty cool to see the changes. Anyhow, I was wondering if any one who would have been training at MCRDPI sometime around 1966 through possibly 1970 had him as a DI and remembers him, and what kind of DI he was. I am not completely sure of the time frame he would have been there but I heard that he was deffinately there in 1968. He was only 5'5" tall and a very skinny man. He died in December 2007 of cancer. He still had his high and tight up to the end.

edit: Or...maybe someone trained recruits with him.

Last edited by agwilliams; 02-23-09 at 05:01 PM. Reason: forgot to mention

Okay, I had some misinformation. Maybe i am still wrong but I just heard that he was there in 1961. His rank during that time would have been Corporal. Just curious if anyone remembers him. It would be nice to hear some ol stories of the stuff he used to do to recruits.

Dear AG: I think your grand-father was my senior drill instructor at Parris Island in 1962, in the 3rd battallion, platoon 373. In September I entered PI and one Staff Sgt Adcock was the senior DI, while Sgts Gagnon and Egge, and Cpl Scott were his juniors. I do remember his well, as you described, a wiry short, small built, southern accent ball of fire. He was tough and had the job of turning us into Marines. He did his job well. I have my platoon book somewhere among my accumulation and will try to glean more information out of it if you think this is the same Adcock. I didn't recall his first name as we only called him "sir". Ha! Ken Bohman

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ken

Please fill out your profile as site rules mandate.

Last edited by ChuckH; 05-01-12 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Good to see the OP is still active and responding.

Thumbs up Thank you

Ken thank you for your reply. If you find your platoon book and he is in it it would be great. My email is aoerther@aol.com if you find it and maybe sent me a copy of the page with him on it. That is really the only way I would know it was him. BTW it is very much okay with me, my sister, and my father (both of whom are Marines) that it took only 3 years to possibly get a photograph of him. I just spoke to my father and sister and both were fairly optimistic that you have the correct Adcock.

Thread Information