NAM w/ V with no CAR
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry NAM w/ V with no CAR

Have any of you guys ever heard of this? SECNAV 1650 pretty much says thats its impossible to get a NAM w/ V without earning a CAR due to the criteria being so similiar. Is this outrageous to anyone other than me?

That doesn't really make alot of sense. Kind of like having a PH but no CAR? I know a Marine in that boat, his wounds were in the very beginning of OIF I.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    DOCBAY....PLEASE fill out your profile completely. If you have ANY questions concerning this....I'd be happy to answer them......DOC

Former Chief of Chaplains RADM Holderby had a Navy Comm w/V and didn't have a CAR. Since the criteria for CARs has fluxed through the years, I can see how it could happen. I think it is near impossible these days, but you never know.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Quote Originally Posted by usmchauer View Post
    That doesn't really make alot of sense. Kind of like having a PH but no CAR? I know a Marine in that boat, his wounds were in the very beginning of OIF I.

Personnel eligible for the award of the Purple Heart would not necessarily qualify for the Combat Action Ribbon.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Authorized by the Secretary of the Navy on January 24, 1962, and awarded to junior officers and enlisted personnel serving in any capacity with the Navy and Marine Corps who distinguish themselves by outstanding professional achievement or for leadership. Originally a non-combat award, the achievement medal is now awarded for both combat and non-combat service. The combat "V" device is worn on the ribbon if stipulated in the citation.

Quote Originally Posted by usmchauer View Post
    Theoretical scenarios:
    An artillery, or mortar crew, who fire in support of direct combat operations
    A FAC or FIST team supporting
    Fire Direction Control Center operations in support

The CAR has more to it the just witnessing combat or getting shot at.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    JARHEAD.....Whats your name? Where you from? What's your MOS? Just a little info.....PLEASE....DOC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    Theoretical scenarios:
    An artillery, or mortar crew, who fire in support of direct combat operations
    A FAC or FIST team supporting
    Fire Direction Control Center operations in support

The CAR has more to it the just witnessing combat or getting shot at.
    Gentlemen, I'm in agreement with all of you. The Marine I had mentioned stepped on a land mine.

It's strange to be sure and I'm not sure what the thought process is behind that. However, the "V" does stand for 'valor in combat', ergo, one would *suppose* that means you would be getting a CAR (or have one..) as well.

It makes perfect sense. How can you receive a combat distinguishing device if you saw no combat. Marines dont put themselves in for awards, commanders do... the more PHs, CARs, and other combat medals his unit has then the better it makes him look as a leader (cause he commanded in legit combat unit).

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

The Valor device (also known as a combat distinguishing device, "V" device, and Combat V) is an award of the United States military which is a bronze attachment to certain medals to indicate that it was received for valor. The device serves as a clarification for medals that are awarded for both valor (bravery in the face of the enemy), and merit (an extraordinary job under noncombat conditions).

In my day it was a no brainer. There was no such award as the CAR.

I remember a situation concerning the awarding of a "V" device on a NAM, It was asked if that person rated it! I do not remember all the details of it, however that person committied suicide over it, because he was the father of the seaman to admiral policy, come to find out that he did rate it after all, this happened in 1996, and that person was the CNO! Can not remember whether he had a CAR or not!

Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    In my day it was a no brainer. There was no such award as the CAR.
    You are, then, a Korea or WWII vet? FYI, the CAR is retroactive LOL.

Thread Information