Is it easy to score a 50 on the asvab?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Is it easy to score a 50 on the asvab?

Well my shipdate will be march 9th, as long as come monday if I can score atleast a 50 on my asvab. It turns out I graduated from a tier 2 high school, so I have to score atleast a 50. If I do not score atleast a 50 say I score like a 47, 48, or 49, it has to go to a Three - Star General and he has to approve of me.

I scored a 37 on the practice asvab (the 4 part one) but I am very confident I can get a 50. But was just wondering on how hard it is to actually score a 50.

Its not hard, really. I havent heard of anyone failing it.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post
    Failed it? As in scoring below a 50?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by giveen View Post

Actually, I know of 2 different individuals who have failed...one of them has failed twice. Keep studying and take it seriously!

It used to be that 35 was bare minimum to pass....that could've changed to 50?? I've never heard of that Teir 2 school that you mentioned, so I don't know what that might mean.

Good luck!
    C

There are a lot of people that fail the asvab and there are even more who score below a 50 so take it seriously. Study and practice. Get a good nights sleep (dont over sleep though,) and eat a good breakfast.

Also,
    Knowledge is power: A "3 star general" is a Lieutenant General.
    Be My Little General:
    Brigadier (one star)
    Major (two stars)
    Lieutenant (three stars)
    General (four stars)

Cant hurt to learn that now.

The ASVAB is as difficult as any test in school. If you did well in high school you will score well on some parts, but if you didn't, there are still parts you can excel at. I'm thinking the mechanical knowledge part in particular. A lot of questions are common sense, some are specific school learned knowledge.

I don't know how hard it will be for you but I would study a lot because I got a 79 on the practice and a 78 on the real one, so the practice test is pretty accurate.

good luck!

My recruiter is convinced that with a little studying leading up to the test, then drinking a red bull and eating a snickers right before the exam your test scores will be better...Yesterday we had a guy who scored a 42 on his EST and got a 51 on the actual that took my recruiters advice so...do whatever works lol. But I found the math so difficult and the english ridiculously easy. The other sections were fine too...That puzzle section was actually fun.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think times have changed a bit since my day as a recruiter but.......in the mid 80s, nationwide, the average AFQT on the ASVAB was 18! That's right eighteen (18)! Of course you have to consider the varibles, now most High schools allowed the ASVAB to be given in their schools, but some school systems would only allow sophomores to take it and then only on a volunteer bases! It was not manditory in all schools. Most did let the Juniors and Seniors take the test, which was good because the scores were good for two years! The high school ASVAB is not the best way to take it, the best way is at MEPS or other approved testing area, approved by MEPCOM! Most students in high school that take the test are just getting out of English or some other class they don't want to be in, they don't take it seriously! Hence the lower scores.

The ASVAB is THE most important test (exam) you will take, if you are considering a stent in the military. When you test at a MEPCOM approved site, you are there because you have started showing interest in enlisting in the military. The Corps, in my day, required a higher score to enlist. They required a minimum of 32 on the test, where I, as Army, could enlist them with a 31. During the Nam War, the Army could take a score as low as 21...I know....but believe me they did!

I will stop there with the history lesson, but for you people that want to enlist in our beloved Corps, you have to take this test VERY seriously! Most people say it's easy! Some say it's the hardest test they ever took. But as our old TV friend, Archie Bunker once said "EASY FOR YOU....DIFFICULT FOR ME".

Let me say again, these are the stats from my day, but the facts are the same as far as passing that test.

Dave

When I was at Meps I was told 35 is a passing score for Marine Corps, however higher score=More jobs open to you. I scored 84 on the Practice and 87 on the Actual test with no studying. I guess for some its easier than others. Just grab a practice Asvab book, Recruiters usually have one in there office and study it. Take some practice test, im sure they can be found for free online.

When I took the ASVAB

After I finished my ASVAB, and I was directed outside to wait for my Recruiter, 3 other people came out after me and scored below 50.
    One of them got a 48, one a 49, and one got a 27.

I dont know the percentage of people who get below 50, but that was 3 out of probibly 10 people that came out after me who didnt pass.

I dont understand what is so hard aboujt the asvab, there was a guy i know who had a 4 year degree in business and he fails the asvab TWICE!! i took it in school and got an 87 and I didn't take it super seriously... You should have no problem geting at 50 unless you really struggeled in school.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    I dont understand what is so hard aboujt the asvab, there was a guy i know who had a 4 year degree in business and he fails the asvab TWICE!! i took it in school and got an 87 and I didn't take it super seriously... You should have no problem geting at 50 unless you really struggeled in school.
    That's one of the hardest things to believe that I've seen around here. I'm not buying that for one second. Failed? As in less than a 31? Come on...

It really depends on who you ask. Some people study their ass off and still dont do that great. Some people dont study at all and do excellent.

If you got a 37 on the practice, I would spend alot of time studying and taking as many practice tests as you can. Good luck!

I know a few people who have failed it. You have to score higher than 50% of the people who take it. The biggest problem people have with taking it is they loose track of time. I scored a 54 when I took it the first time, but scored an 82 when I took it again. Time was my biggest issue, as the test was pretty easy.

There are ways you can study for the test. I believe there is an ASVAB book in most bookstores which will allow you to take practice tests. Otherwise you just have to keep studying and take it until you pass. The other services require a lower score if you are not able to meet the 50 score- something to keep in mind.

Thread Information