Weight Loss & Pull-Ups
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Weight Loss & Pull-Ups

I'm 18 and I ship at the end of June. I'm not were i need to be weight wise or pull up wise. My run time and Crunches are fine. I've seen most of the pull up programs but i was wondering if anyone had any personal programs they might have came up with. and i was wondering if anyone has any weight loss programs. I only need to lose like 16 pounds to ship but i'd rather be a lot less before going to bootcamp. I have a friend who's the same height as me and weighs 205lbs and is completely flat. i'm 245. i was hopine for some ideas on making up the difference. I don't drink soda and i have sweets in moderation. So, any tips?

For pull ups, do pyramid sets. Start with 1, then do 10 push ups, then do 2, then do 10 push ups, and so on until you max out. Get a friend to help you once you reach your max so that you can knock out a few extra sets. Once you reach your max, then work your way back down, 6,5,4,3...till you're back at 1.

Regarding weight loss, there is no simple fix. It takes hard work and dedication. Run, run, run. Eat about 5-6 small meals a day and run, run, run.

did you get that little training guide from your recruiter??? if not go ask him for it... I'm going to attempt to scan one into a PDF for all you little nastys who keep freaking out about what exercises to do, but don't seem to get much support from your recruiters... probably because you made ship weight or something... who knows.

Diet/Nutrition and Exercise are key a good blend of Cardio and Heavy weights works best for me. But there are Different body types that will respond different to certain workouts. The Key is NUTRITION..if you workout like a madman but have really bad nutrition your not going to see progress fast at all. Also try to walk to places if they are close..liquor store, small groceries shopping, post office..speaking of I need to go drop off mail..and since its not raining..ill go take a walk.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Pull-downs are good. Also, at the gym, use the assisted pull-up machine. Take a 30 lb. barbell, bring it up to your chest like you're about to do a clean and press, lift it over your head, bring it behind your head, lift it up again, then back down to the chest; do this as many times as possible. My recruiter had a pull-up band in his office, if your's has one, use it. Trust me, these methods help.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    How do people keep getting into the DEP and all without passing the IST? Are you not supposed to be able to do all of them before you go to MEPS and all? My understanding was that if you want in (DEP or not) you have to meet the physical requirements. To have a ship date, that means he has already been to MEPS and signed a contract correct? Just trying to figure things out myself. Good luck mate.

Quote Originally Posted by poolee0200 View Post
    Take a 30 lb. barbell, bring it up to your chest like you're about to do a clean and press, lift it over your head, bring it behind your head, lift it up again, then back down to the chest; do this as many times as possible.
    Is that supposed to help with pull-ups? This sounds like a tricep workout but maybe i'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Join an indoor climbing gym. I cannot even begin to express to you how well this has worked for some of the other poolees at my RS including myself. I plateaued pretty hard at 12 pull-ups and the climbing gym was able to get me up to 16 within more than a months time. Not only did my max set count benefit from the strength and grip training, but as I've become a better climber I've noticed my technique with pull-ups has continued to improve as well. Its without a doubt the Easiest way to get into working out. Get a couple of friends together to make it a weekly thing, Mon Wen Fri and get on the rope. Nice change-up from the gym.

Thread Information