MOS's that would put him ON a bird?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MOS's that would put him ON a bird?

My son was leaning towards Crew chief when he realized that takes years to work up to, so where does he start????
    What MOS should he choose that would allow him to be in the air not on the ground???
    Thanks
    Stacey

The only other way to be part of an aircrew in a helo squadron is by becoming an AO (Aerial Observer). This is not a primary MOS, thus he will have to complete his primary MOS school (which can be any aviation MOS) then pray and hope that he is stationed with a helo squadron, and then apply for the position. There may be other ways of flying in transports but I never served in one so can't say for sure. I can say this if he wants to fly as enlisted Marine then Crew chief is the best way to go. Besides most aviation MOS's are at least a year in length.

to build up to be a crew chief takes roughly a year from bootcamp. Provided you dont get recycled. After MCT you will go to pensacola FL for Aircrew Canidate school. the aircraft that have crewchiefs are all helicopters and C-130s. i belive the basic MOS is 8972 then you get a more specific MOS when you get your platform

@stayck1

I just replied to an older post of yours =P Needless to say, this link has all the information you'd need on the crew chief MOS:
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29278

For the rotary wing side, you can sign up for 6173 (53echo, 50 cals, carries 55 combat loaded troops), 6174 (Huey, different guns, carries a few people, cool plane), or I "think" 6175 is V22.

I was a 53 guy so naturally that would be my choice, my last two years in I was an instructor at CNATT for 53's. Loved the job and wish I could have stayed.

my son was told program AG is closed they put him in AJ? anyone know what this is?
    MOS 7242?

Program AG is what he wanted so bad (aircrew)
    but he got AJ (Air support operations operator? not even sure what that is or does?)
    He was not at all interested in the MOS's that fall under this program BUT....looks like he has no choice

Can anyone explain MOS 7242? or program AJ? He was so hoping to be in a bird

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by stayck1 View Post
    My son was leaning towards Crew chief when he realized that takes years to work up to, so where does he start????
    What MOS should he choose that would allow him to be in the air not on the ground???
    Thanks
    Stacey

Crewchief is an MOS?

What's wrong with being on the ground?

They told him crew chief was full, he could not chose that.
    nothing wrong with being on the ground, just not his first choice.
    Doyou know what an AIR SUPPORT OPERATIONS OPERATOR is? looks like they chose that for him

Quote Originally Posted by stayck1 View Post
    They told him crew chief was full, he could not chose that.
    nothing wrong with being on the ground, just not his first choice.
    Doyou know what an AIR SUPPORT OPERATIONS OPERATOR is? looks like they chose that for him
    Why don't YOU use the search system....

I do believe YOUR son should Be doing This..........

The crewchief program is not full. we're pretty short handed in the fleet. I recommend searching on your own or speak with another recruiter

Bigirongunner, you really need to update your profile.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have a question. In your opinion, what do you think is the best bird to fly in? I'm looking at the MV-22 and likely won't change my mind, but I'm just curious how others enjoyed the other rotary air craft. Also, do all crew chiefs go through SERE? and does being a crew chief mean you'll ever have to jump during training (I know if you're about to crash you might need to jump)?

In my humble opinion I would say the best helicopter to fly on is either a UH-1 or a CH-53. they fly lower to the ground and are more versatile than a V-22. all aircraft have their strong points. if you want high and fast an Ospery, power a 53 and fire power a huey.SERE used to be a requirement but it is not anymore since the school got backed up. none of these MOS's send you to jump scholl mostly because if you jump you'll hit the ground before the chute opens.

Thread Information