Poolee functions???
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Poolee functions???

I always hear about them and I almost went to one in the summer. I just wanted to know what you do at them? I would figure drill and learning different things...maybe some physical activity thrown in but really i don't know. Also does everyone go unless they have a really close ship date? I don't I'm just kind of nervous and I'm not even a poolee yet. I feel so awkward in the recruiters office because I'm the only female when all the guy poolees walk in lol.

P.S. My search function never works...I'm not being lazy there's just something wrong with it.

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Hi Shnon89,

Well at our Poolee Functions we have them once a month, they are regional for our RSS and every Poolee is REQUIRED to be there, so when you said you have only been to one, well that amazes me, we also have PT once a week on wednesdays, but Monday's and Fridays are for PCP (physical condition poolees) who need a bit more work, or knowledge sessions for the poolees to learn the knowledge or some before boot camp. At the last Poolee Function we did a Combat Fitness Test and a class on grooming standards and Leave and Liberty, then the one before that was on Drill, formation, general orders, and then we did the IST, before that one we did a weapons seminar, and every month we do a new topic, but those are just to give you an idea...You should really start going they are very helpful, I am the only girl also but thats why I try to bring a friend with me...Then they can see what you are doing and learn more about it.

Well I haven't been to one...I just almost went. I'm just a little worried about the physical aspect. Im improving even though I havn't done much lol. All I mostly have to worry about is the running. I dont know exactly how many crunches you have to do to pass the IST but I can do somewhere around 45. I know the flex arm hang is 12 secs...pretty sure Im there. I dont know what my run time is though.

BTW Im not a poolee...yet.

Okay well you won't improve unless you start trying, the IST requirements are 35 (I saw it may be 44 somewhere else though) crunches in 2 minutes, a 12 second flex arm hang, and females do a one mile run in under 10:30...But don't go for the minimum, start training, who cares if you are not yet a Poolee, you can still go in and ask for help or train with someone. Because when you do become a Poolee you will be expected to be prepared to leave for boot camp. My recruiting station will not send people who are going to be in PCP or be the weakest link, as our GySgt. says "we expect the all star team and nothing else, if you are JV, we don't want you and they won't want you at boot camp so do your best"

Crunches are easy, you should be doin 100. As of being nervous about going to the poolee functions, dont be...why should you be, its a poolee function...honestly who cares? If you want to be a Marine then you have to conquer some sort of fear. Oh, and as of being the only female, if you join the Corps, your gonna have to get used to it, not a whole lot of WMs...at least not compared to male Marines, I dunno, I dont see many WMs honestly.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have my first poolee meeting on Saturday. I've been in DEP for two months, but they keep canceling them because of the weather. I wish we had them once a week. It gets REALLY boring when all your friends are at college. Plus, when you workout with other people you normally push yourself harder.

You really shouldn't be afraid. If you really want this, and I bet you do, you would bust open a can of whip ass once you get there. The IST is pretty easy. No offence to anyone, but if you can't pass it, that's pretty sad.

not a whole lot of WMs...at least not compared to male Marines, I dunno, I dont see many WMs honestly.
    You are a grunt. I don't think there are many female grunts lol.

Yeah the IST is easy, but we still see a lot of people coming in unable to do pull ups, that said, I am thankful we females only have to do the flex arm hang haha.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I just had my last DEP meeting 3 days ago. We went bowling. lol. It just depends on wether the recruiters follow protocal. The month before, the Sergeant Major came to the function and we had to PT for about 3 hours. just depends

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bekster2008 View Post
    Yeah the IST is easy, but we still see a lot of people coming in unable to do pull ups, that said, I am thankful we females only have to do the flex arm hang haha.
    It's harder to do a flex hang - ask the guys. Your elbow HAS to be bent, once you drop or your arms go straight, clock stops. Party over - oops outta time!

If any of you females going in these days are afraid of anything, YOU WILL NOT MAKE IT! If you're satisfied with the minimum amount of points towards your PFT score just hang for 12 seconds.

Is it 10:30 for one mile...I thought it was 15:00 for one mile and a half. I already know I push myself more when Im around other people. I was in Army ROTC for a semester and Im very motivated and don't give up. Im just an introvert...very shy. When I get to know people you cant shut me up lol.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It's harder to do a flex hang - ask the guys. Your elbow HAS to be bent, once you drop or your arms go straight, clock stops. Party over - oops outta time!
    Damn strait L/Cpl! I was curious and did flex arm hangs one day.....screw that. I'll take pull ups any day.

As far as I could find here is the Marines IST..

Male

- 2 Pull Ups
    - 35 Sit Ups (2 minutes)
    - 1.5 Mile Run - 13:30

Female

- Flexed Arm Hang - 12 seconds
    - 35 Sit Ups (2 Minutes)
    - 1 Mile Run - 10:30

I still need to work on my running time..that 1.5mi..I just need to shave a min off and im good..

well if its just one mile I can do that no problem maybe i can shave some time off before I even sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post

If any of you females going in these days are afraid of anything, YOU WILL NOT MAKE IT! If you're satisfied with the minimum amount of points towards your PFT score just hang for 12 seconds.
    L/Cpl is right those flexs are tough, I like to try em right after maxing out on my pullups since I can only do 4 at the moment..but man does it get that Bicep peak burning!

Thread Information