The Crucible
Create Post

Thread: The Crucible

The Crucible

Just curious, Where exactly at MCRD San Diego, and P.I. do they do the crucible? I imagine Hollywood Marines do theirs at Pendleton, but there aren't any mountains to hump at Paradise Island. So how does P.I. handle the difference in terrain to effect the same effort?

I attended Parris Island,back then we didn't have the crucible.We went through ICT.It took place beyond Third battalion and the Rifle Range out by those old airfields near the swamps.I guess they hold it in that area.I had to hump those hills out at MCB Penndleton during Infantry School.I still don't know what is worse.Parris Island's heat and humidity in the summer is no joke.

I haven't been out to Cali, but at PI it's done out at Page Field (the old airstrips) like SSgt said. The heat, humidity, and DI's born of the Devil make up for the mountains I'd have to believe.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RYDERKUR View Post
    I haven't been out to Cali, but at PI it's done out at Page Field (the old airstrips) like SSgt said. The heat, humidity, and DI's born of the Devil make up for the mountains I'd have to believe.
    Thank You,I can't believe I forgot Page Field!

It's done at Area 31 at Camp P which is Edson Range. There's all sorts of Crucible obstacles strewn about the range which you get to by humping up and down hills. The only actual "mountain" you hike up is the Reaper which is done on the final day of the Crucible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie0417 View Post
    It's done at Area 31 at Camp P which is Edson Range. There's all sorts of Crucible obstacles strewn about the range which you get to by humping up and down hills. The only actual "mountain" you hike up is the Reaper which is done on the final day of the Crucible.
    My "crucible" we didn't call it that back then, consisted of a forced march with full pack from Edson Range through the mountains (only taking one short break for lunch) north to San Onofre for our ITS. We we're told it was 26 miles, but never knew for sure. We had one major mountain (Mt Motherf--ker, and one huge steep hill (Mt OoRaah) that the D.I.s enjoyed running us up and down. Humped hills and mountains for two weeks, I believe. Memory aint to good anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mcvet57103 View Post
    My "crucible" we didn't call it that back then, consisted of a forced march with full pack from Edson Range through the mountains (only taking one short break for lunch) north to San Onofre for our ITS. We we're told it was 26 miles, but never knew for sure. We had one major mountain (Mt Motherf--ker, and one huge steep hill (Mt OoRaah) that the D.I.s enjoyed running us up and down. Humped hills and mountains for two weeks, I believe. Memory aint to good anymore.
    You hit the nail right on the head, been there and done that, NEVER FORGET.

The number of miles behind us, being dead tired from lack of sleep, the Drill Instructors breathing down our necks, and packs laden with gear were our mountains.

Thank God for Drill Instructors. They didn't make our time on the island worse, we did. That's what I took away from it. Overcome and Get some!

Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Ahhhh, yes! Mt. Mother & "Beyatch" Ridge. I remember humping @ night, in the rain. Couldn't see a damn thing, only heard bodies rolling down past me! Good times!!!

Oh yeah good times, I remember sometime during one of our humps we were on the beach, the DI's noticed we kept eye fugging the water so they let us get in. Marching in water up to your waist with a full pack, weapon, flak, etc SUCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by GSEMarine94 View Post
    Oh yeah good times, I remember sometime during one of our humps we were on the beach, the DI's noticed we kept eye fugging the water so they let us get in. Marching in water up to your waist with a full pack, weapon, flak, etc SUCKS.
    Not to mention what salt water does to your rifle. "Rust on your but plate Pvt Bullsh-t!" "Pass denied". Thought I'd throw that last quote in there for funcies.

Thread Information