0621 Field Radio Operator
Create Post

0621 Field Radio Operator

Hello Marines, This is my first thread so I'm open to criticism.

I just enlisted into the Reserves as 0621 out of Bridgeton, Missouri.
    I did the 4x4. They all called me dumb for forfeiting the bonus's and G.I. Bill with the 6x2 but I look at it as if I don't like being a 0621 it would be best to not prolong it.. and I should mention that the unit out of Bridgeton only had two fields open.. Radio Operator or Infantry.. So my choices were limited..

Is that a smart choice? Has anyone else been in this situation?

-Thanks

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Browny35 View Post
    Hello Marines, This is my first thread so I'm open to criticism.

I'd hope so.... Should have gone 03.

err. 03 bay bee

Being a Radio Operator can I still do Funeral Services and other stuff for my Unit? Because I want to use the Marine Corp to the fullest.. I wanna learn alot.. From driving to logistics.

Are there special programs that Marines can do to get a 1up.. Like I heard there's a Humvee training course Marines can take.

Or am I just limited to hauling a radio around all the time?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Browny35 View Post
    Being a Radio Operator can I still do Funeral Services and other stuff for my Unit? Because I want to use the Marine Corp to the fullest.. I wanna learn alot.. From driving to logistics.

Are there special programs that Marines can do to get a 1up.. Like I heard there's a Humvee training course Marines can take.

Or am I just limited to hauling a radio around all the time?

I hear you, and good on you, but consider your wording and spelling. I am sure you have to best of intentions but "I want to get the most from my time with the Corps" or "I want the most complete experience possible" might more effectively communicate your point. Also, it is Corps with an s. The s is silent. Not beating you up, just pointing it out.

As for special programs, these questions will all be answered at your first duty station. This will all be dependent upon the needs of your unit. If they need Marines to do other things, be the first to volunteer for everything. People often advise you to never volunteer but I would disagree. Opportunities may not always turn out the way you expected, but there is always something to be learned. As for "just hauling a radio around" this will depend entirely on your unit, but if "hauling a radio" isn't for you, consider your options well. We never used 0621's below the Co level and they were almost always in the COC or maybe on the CO's convoy. Your experience may differ. The sniper bait down in the mix with the squads was just another 03 with the collateral duty of squad or platoon RO. Have faith, have fun, and make the best of any assignment you are given. Expect to get shi t for being a "POG" but also know that as long as you are doing your job professionally, competently, and to the best of your abilities you are as mission essential as anyone out there. Take pride in your work and strive to be a model to all those around you.

Good luck.

Thread Information