Running Tips?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Tips?

Credits
    Savings

Running Tips?

My first IST run time was 13 flat. My 2nd IST was 11:45. I ran another one last friday to see where I was and noticed my run time got worse(12:20). My recruiter suggested adding sprints. I searched and read about sprinting certain distances while running. I was also told/read on here that doing alot of boot slappers would help build some muscles and add some endurance.

When im running my breathing is fine and I have real good shoes. My legs just seem to get really tired about a mile in. Is there anything else I can do to help beside just running everyday/sprints/ boot slappers? I have till June and my running is my weakness so im fixing that.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by kash View Post
    My first IST run time was 13 flat. My 2nd IST was 11:45. I ran another one last friday to see where I was and noticed my run time got worse(12:20). My recruiter suggested adding sprints. I searched and read about sprinting certain distances while running. I was also told/read on here that doing alot of boot slappers would help build some muscles and add some endurance.

When im running my breathing is fine and I have real good shoes. My legs just seem to get really tired about a mile in. Is there anything else I can do to help beside just running everyday/sprints/ boot slappers? I have till June and my running is my weakness so im fixing that.
    You are doing the right things. Keep running regularly, and you will improve. Sorry, that's really the answer.

There are some techniques that may help you a bit, so do a search on this site and you will find about a zillion tips and links. The common denominator is consistent practice. I suggest that you find a partner, maybe another Poolie or a Recruiter from your RS that is interested in training / running with you. Friendly competition will give your some additional motivation.

Good luck!
    C

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the help! Yeah the tips I found on the site and got from my recruiter are the sprinting/boot slappers/just running.

I went on a endurance run one time with my recruiter and that was a workout. Ill have to do more of those soon.

My legs just seem to get really tired about a mile in
    Yes boot slappers build leg endurance, not much muscle. I've been doing them for years when business is sporadic in the winter and if i don't then i suffer and pull quads and groins and basically stove up when work gets busy again. You may notice the benefits of boot slappers most when covering an incline. If your heavy or feeling excessive strain on the knees, don't complain, just dont go all the way down. It ain't worth it.

Bleachers! try em you'll hate em' but better cross training for a runner.

--->Dave

Run Forrest Run.

I'm far from an expert, but these are some things that help me.

-Breathe deep and steady, making sure to exhale completely
    -Shoulders back and loose (I find if I hunch my shoulders, it's harder on my legs)
    -Knees slightly bent (I realized I tend to land straight-legged)
    -Focus on heel-to-toe (my legs were cramping up a bit at first from this, but they quickly adjusted)
    -And I'll second the sprints. Since starting intervals last week, my time has already improved.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

If you run 3-5 times a week at least a mile to three miles, you won't have anything else to worry about. Pull ups are much more important. Work on those. An eleven minute mile an a half is really all you need.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRN5711Tech View Post
    If you run 3-5 times a week at least a mile to three miles, you won't have anything else to worry about. Pull ups are much more important. Work on those. An eleven minute mile an a half is really all you need.
    Im at 14 pull-ups right and now and do Prymaids Monday-Friday.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Local recruiter told us something along the lines of this at a Poole Function, put your chest out and kind of lean forward so that your wieght is forcing your body forward, so all your legs are doing really is keeping you from falling(I don't do this). But i believe that most important aspect of running is the pace and cardio condition.

Do you mind explaining the concept of "boot slappers" and the correct way to doing them?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Run Forrest Run.
    LMAO priceless

Your time in the Marines, mainly boot camp and SOI, will teach your body how to run. I was an ok runner before I joined but after SOI was done I could have been a track star. Don't rush it, the Marines will make you stronger. I promise that.

Has anybody ever had these lower back pains I'm having? They start about a mile in and it just gets worse and worse until I quit. I had a CT scan and they turned out negative so it doesn't sound like anything TOO serious. I'm really worried about this and I have to figure out what the deal is before I ship, otherwise it would likely be a short trip.

The next day it sorta feels like my back has sore muscles so maybe they're weak and just need strengthened. I'm not in near as good of shape as I was in high school, so hopefully if I keep plugging away it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by blackshirts View Post
    Has anybody ever had these lower back pains I'm having? They start about a mile in and it just gets worse and worse until I quit. I had a CT scan and they turned out negative so it doesn't sound like anything TOO serious. I'm really worried about this and I have to figure out what the deal is before I ship, otherwise it would likely be a short trip.

The next day it sorta feels like my back has sore muscles so maybe they're weak and just need strengthened. I'm not in near as good of shape as I was in high school, so hopefully if I keep plugging away it will help.
    Is it like a progressive ache that builds up? Right at the top of your ass pretty much? If so I get it occasionally and the only way to stop them is to walk it out for a little bit.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by blackshirts View Post

It is weak lower back muscles. Do sit ups and Glute-Ham Raises and it should go away.

Thread Information