Little MOS to choose from. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfriesner View Post
    Far as the MOS being available I can't tell you much other than that it was not available for me either here in MN. I had to go reserves in order to get 5811 and then I have to go through the hoops to go active next year.
    Trading Active Duty for the Reserves to secure an MOS? Really?.....Why wouldn't you just join the Army to be an MP?.......Whatever happened to being a Marine first?
    I also wonder if the Marines who fought and died on Iwo Jima held their breath to get what they wanted before leaving for Bootcamp

Hey, all the advice i have for you is this: Get something close to what you want!

Above poster has a point, but times have changed JUST a bit. It's better to have the job you want when serving than some job you hate.

Your recruiter, needs you. He needs numbers. So tell him you want THIS and THAT at THIS date or you're gone. Worked for me..

dueces

Wow where to start. I am a second year LE student and have worked interships with several police departments. I graduated academy 07 through HCC and would have been POST certifiable this spring hadn't I decided to join the Marines. You can send me internet links all you want knight but I have spoken directly with those ranking from beat cops to SWAT commanders, Sheriffs deputies and the Sheriff himself, State Police etc....They all have the same story. Being an MP is a huge boost ahead in the civilian LE and will put you out ahead of others. You may not be doing the exact same thing as an MP that you will as a Peace Officer, but many of the same duties overlap.

As for myself I am shipping for MCRD SD monday morning, as in 2 days. My profile isn't updated because I just became a poolee a week ago and then I leave monday so I figured I might as well save the mods times and wait to have them update it to Marine in 3 months. But what does that really matter? This isn't about my profile it is about your false information that you heard from a friend or found on a website. Well I can found anything on the web, that doesn't mean its true or accurate.

As for going reserves to get MP that isn't the whole story and frankly I am not going to spend the time explaining it. But it has to do with my schooling, my wife's schooling, and the MOS and the fact that the Gunnery Sgt of my RSS strongly reccomended I do what I did. Yes being a Marine is enough but why not pursue what I am passionate for at the same time? LE is in my blood and it is what I want to be doing. I will jump through hoops if I have to in order to do what I am good at.

Also FF90 is in LE currently and agrees with me and frankly I would take his opinion even over mine since he is a licensed and I am not yet. But once again talk to people who know their **** like I stated above and not people who just talk ****.

Credits
    Savings
    Then stay a cop and stay the F outta my Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    Then stay a cop and stay the F outta my Corps.
    I'm not a cop, yet. I have no idea what I did to you and I wasn't being political or squabeling. I was simply giving the original poster the information he requested and pointing out false information. Sorry you feel that way but either way I will be part of the Corps and I look forward to it. honestly i think half the posters in this thread are just hot heads looking for an online fight, which I am not interested in engaging. My posts have been informative,objective, and to the point. If that offends you then I am affraid there is nothing I can do to please you. This will be my last post in this thread as things have obviously gotten completely off topic from what lorez wanted. Good luck to you all and I apologize for anything I said that was personal, for anything I said that was informational I have no apologies because it is right on.

Credits
    Savings
    You said it yourself about "LE" being in your blood. My old man's a cop and I grew up in a squad car. Doesn't mean I'm not a Marine, and I'd like to know what you've done in your life that gives you the right to say word one to me. In the end if I say the sky is plaid and you don't think so you'd better get your eyes checked. Period.

Got anything else PM me. We're done on here.

Thumbs up

"Is anyone else getting the same response? Any similar storys or some advice to help out would be great.

I am on open contract and have been in DEP for a little over 3mths. I'm waiting to hear about my MOS as well. It's just kind of awkward because I feel in a way that I am running the risk of going in open contract which I'd rather not do because I know what I would like to do and understanding that nothing is guaranteed unless in writing that makes things a bit more .........only jking<

Never has a wild thing felt sorry for itself. A bird falls frozen. Dead from a bough never having felt sorry for itself.

If someone is that much of a "Johnny Law" kind of guy, why not go for the gusto and join the FBI or something? Why?......Why? would you want to stand at the front gate saluting blue stickers, 24 hours a day....When everyone else is on a 96, You'll be standing at the friggin' gate!

Look, all I know about MP's is either your a field MP(cool guys)......or your the base cops (Ummmm Not very popular, and even if your a base cop..You better still respect rank, I saw a SSgt. rip apart a PFC MP at the front gate of CLNC) Because PFC Lawman thought he would be cocky with a SNCO! It was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Seyborg View Post
    Above poster has a point, but times have changed JUST a bit.
    Look Here Devil Dog! Just because NOWADAY'S you Marines are wearing digital pattern Cammies! LOL s/f bro

Quote Originally Posted by Jfriesner View Post
    Wow where to start. I am a second year LE student and have worked interships with several police departments. I graduated academy 07 through HCC and would have been POST certifiable this spring hadn't I decided to join the Marines. You can send me internet links all you want knight but I have spoken directly with those ranking from beat cops to SWAT commanders, Sheriffs deputies and the Sheriff himself, State Police etc....They all have the same story. Being an MP is a huge boost ahead in the civilian LE and will put you out ahead of others. You may not be doing the exact same thing as an MP that you will as a Peace Officer, but many of the same duties overlap.

As for myself I am shipping for MCRD SD monday morning, as in 2 days. My profile isn't updated because I just became a poolee a week ago and then I leave monday so I figured I might as well save the mods times and wait to have them update it to Marine in 3 months. But what does that really matter? This isn't about my profile it is about your false information that you heard from a friend or found on a website. Well I can found anything on the web, that doesn't mean its true or accurate.

As for going reserves to get MP that isn't the whole story and frankly I am not going to spend the time explaining it. But it has to do with my schooling, my wife's schooling, and the MOS and the fact that the Gunnery Sgt of my RSS strongly reccomended I do what I did. Yes being a Marine is enough but why not pursue what I am passionate for at the same time? LE is in my blood and it is what I want to be doing. I will jump through hoops if I have to in order to do what I am good at.

Also FF90 is in LE currently and agrees with me and frankly I would take his opinion even over mine since he is a licensed and I am not yet. But once again talk to people who know their **** like I stated above and not people who just talk ****.

wow! you can speak for every police department in the nation!!! you're special. I just wanted to tell you that.

PIB makes a good point, there a plenty of police departments who will take you as a Veteran and give you OJT so you can skip the academy until you are 6 months on the job... or whatever their policy is. My state police will just do OJT till I'm 1 year on the job then they'll cut me loose on my own... a local police department will hire me without the academy (all they teach is basics that you probably already know from boot camp and MCT) as long as you do OJT and other CJ classes.

point being PIB was right. you SHOULD pick an MOS you'll enjoy and everything else you want in life will follow.

Credits
    Savings
    Kill!

PIB you talking about my moto sig of your quote????

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    PIB you talking about my moto sig of your quote????

Not specifically but I am shallow, vain, egotistical and just plain simple so I like it!

I figured you'd be shalllow, vain and egotistical... but I wouldn't have guessed just plain simple.......

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    I figured you'd be shalllow, vain and egotistical... but I wouldn't have guessed just plain simple.......

Just ask my wife!

Thread Information