medical waivers needed
Create Post

medical waivers needed

I have some medical issues that I have learned to addapt to efficiently enough to the point I don't use medications (through mostly meditation and not letting stress take over) but appear to be on the restriction list Strabismus, gastritis, mild case of barrett's esophogus, gastraparesis and I wear orthotics (i don't know if that matters). Two years ago july I pyloracplasty surgery to help with the stomach problems I have a 6 inch scar on my stomach. The thing is I know how it appears but I am active up to running 1.5 miles and lifting alot. How can I persuade the recruiter in my favor to show him that I am someone who will do what it takes to persevere and be a successfull more than efficient recruit. Thanks for your time.

http://www.*************/Recruiting/...dical,,00.html

Ok, well I'm no doctor and neither are the rest of the Marines on this site (that I'm aware of) but it sounds to me like you have several issues that may hurt you when it comes time to go to MEPS for your physical. The best thing you can do is go talk to a recruiter and ask him straight up if your conditions are waiverable. You'll probably need to get a doctors approval with documentation of your issues and submit them to the medical review board at MEPS so they can give you the green light to start your enlistment process.

I will tell you that if you are dependant on meditation to control you disorders, then you might be S.O.L. because you won't have time for that in bootcamp. Recruit training is one of the most stressful environments you'll ever encounter (I've found it's second only to combat) and you don't get to call time out so you can go sit in a corner and light some candels.

Bottom line is, start by talking with your recruiter and see what he has to say. Then go from there.

Best of luck!

Thank you that's generally what I was looking for just a broad answer so I have some suggestions when I go to a Marines recruiter. When referring to meditating I am not calling myself the Dalai Lama but I am I do think I am able to control my condition by simply not letting any stress effect me. My opinion for alot of illnesses it's 90 percent mental and 10 percent physical although helpful to some medication can be used as a crutch and the side effects are actual worse than what it is curing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WOULDN'T IT BE NICE,,,,,,,,I think I'll go to boot, and not let stress affect me.

Are you on meds, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    WOULDN'T IT BE NICE,,,,,,,,I think I'll go to boot, and not let stress affect me.

Are you on meds, or not?
    No meds for anything. Also To do with the stomach issue I had surgery two years ago to relieve the problem nothing would cure it. So what would be my best approach to go about this Doctor to write a letter?

First, I would talk to a recruiter and ask him what type of documentation you need. The letter from a doctor will likely consist of you telling him you want to enlist in the Marine Corps and that you need a physical and his written opinion that you would be able to not only remain healthy in bootcamp but be able to give 100% at all times.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to you when you encounter stressfull situations and aren't able to take some time and calm down or meditate?

Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    First, I would talk to a recruiter and ask him what type of documentation you need. The letter from a doctor will likely consist of you telling him you want to enlist in the Marine Corps and that you need a physical and his written opinion that you would be able to not only remain healthy in bootcamp but be able to give 100% at all times.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to you when you encounter stressfull situations and aren't able to take some time and calm down or meditate?
    Thank you for the replies they have been helpful. In regards to your question I use stress as a motivator to overcome.

Well, if you make it to bootcamp, you'll have more motivation than you can handle...lol.

Good luck!

Thread Information