Handling Illness during Boot Camp
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    49
    Credits
    9,989
    Savings
    0

    Handling Illness during Boot Camp

    I'll admit that I've read about recruits getting sick--other parents have personally written to me about it as a "requirement" in Boot Camp.

    After a couple of vague letters decribing sore throat and fevers, my younger son reports that several days ago he was put on bed rest due to bronchitis.

    I know that my older son is suffering from something similar--along with a number of other recruits in their platoon.

    Since the mail is a half-week behind, could someone let me know what the policy/standard is for dealing with real illness for a recruit. I thought that there was a max of 3 missed days, but I realize that even that might be too much.

    I want to be able t write to my recruits with encouragement, even if what we have to say is that we will be attending two separate graduations. rather than one...

    What say ye?

    C.


  2. #2
    Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    MILLSBORO
    Posts
    91
    Credits
    10,005
    Savings
    0
    sempermom recruits do not want to spend one extra minute at boot camp!you can tell them anything you want they just want to be out. i told my son to go to the doc but he never did.the thought of being dropped terrified him.everything will work out DI'S are good mammas


  3. #3
    Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    49
    Credits
    9,989
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DAMNPROUD View Post
    sempermom recruits do not want to spend one extra minute at boot camp!you can tell them anything you want they just want to be out. i told my son to go to the doc but he never did.the thought of being dropped terrified him.everything will work out DI'S are good mammas
    Thank you, Keith. I trust that your son is doing well...C.


  4. #4
    Marine Free Member Quinbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    4,070
    Credits
    14,506
    Savings
    0
    Images
    37
    Young Marines are taught from day one that if you go to sick call it better be on a stretcher. Trouble is there are sand baggers out there so tough policy. Put a large group of young men from all over the country together for long periods of time and they'll pass stuff around. If you have a mild cough or runny nose the training continues and it will get better. If a recruit is genuinely ill they will recieve excellant medical care. Read that thread about the boot that made it all the way through boot camp with a tumor in his sinus the size of a tennis ball and never complained.


  5. #5
    Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    49
    Credits
    9,989
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Young Marines are taught from day one that if you go to sick call it better be on a stretcher. Trouble is there are sand baggers out there so tough policy. Put a large group of young men from all over the country together for long periods of time and they'll pass stuff around. If you have a mild cough or runny nose the training continues and it will get better. If a recruit is genuinely ill they will recieve excellant medical care. Read that thread about the boot that made it all the way through boot camp with a tumor in his sinus the size of a tennis ball and never complained.
    I get the humor, Bulkyer. I assume that my recruit was pretty bad the other day to qualify and agree to bed rest. When he had appendicitis, he surprised his doctor by being able to do jumping jacks--six hours later he was in the O/R...


  6. #6
    Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Myers
    Posts
    25
    Credits
    20,006
    Savings
    0
    Mine just informed me that he had pneumonia twice and pinkeye once during his 13 weeks and he graduated on Friday on time. Said he wasn't taking any chances on going backwards and I did notice a number of recruits to the side of their formations with blue masks on. Guess they didn't either. He will suffer through if he can.


  7. #7
    If there is a serious issue, you will receive a call from a series officer (assuming you are listed as the NOK). If you don't receive a phone call, no matter what you read in a letter, it's not that bad.


  8. #8
    When my youngest son was sick, I sent him the label off a can of chicken noodle soup...he hates chicken noodle soup, but it made him smile and think I was crazy. My two both got pretty sick, the youngest especially. They take amazing care of them, and you will learn that no news, is good news. They won't keep him down any longer than they need to. I hope he feels better soon.


  9. #9
    Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    49
    Credits
    9,989
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by marinemama View Post
    When my youngest son was sick, I sent him the label off a can of chicken noodle soup...he hates chicken noodle soup, but it made him smile and think I was crazy. My two both got pretty sick, the youngest especially. They take amazing care of them, and you will learn that no news, is good news. They won't keep him down any longer than they need to. I hope he feels better soon.
    Hopefully by now, he's past the chicken soup stage, but your label sentiment/gag gave me the idea of enclosing a Chipotle menu in tomorrow's letter--that boy lived on steak burritos--Chipotle will be his FIRST stop when he gets off the plane after graduation!

    Monica, were you permitted to send protein bars to your boys during Boot? I've heard some mixed opinions about it, (seasoned Marines seem to think that I might as well be sending them tampons and bunny slippers), but my elder son wrote to me that his SDI said protein bars are the only things parents can send. I've ordered a couple of staggered bulk deliveries through Ebay sellers.

    Marines, feel free to weigh in on the myriad ways that a protein bar will soften my recruits into curds and whey. Honestly, I welcome all viewpoints...



  10. #10
    Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    49
    Credits
    9,989
    Savings
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    If there is a serious issue, you will receive a call from a series officer (assuming you are listed as the NOK). If you don't receive a phone call, no matter what you read in a letter, it's not that bad.
    Thank you so much for for your response. I have noted your advice and the regard with which you address fellow Marines, poolees and parents on this site. Thank you for your service, for carrying principles beyond words--printed or spoken.


  11. #11
    Some of us started in whoopin and hackin, others contracted a gut flu virus about the time squadbay windows were to remain shut at night for the winter. Bad idea, everybody needs a little fresh air To this day i can't hardly sleep in a room thats chinked to tight

    --->Dave


  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sempermom66 View Post
    Hopefully by now, he's past the chicken soup stage, but your label sentiment/gag gave me the idea of enclosing a Chipotle menu in tomorrow's letter--that boy lived on steak burritos--Chipotle will be his FIRST stop when he gets off the plane after graduation!

    Monica, were you permitted to send protein bars to your boys during Boot? I've heard some mixed opinions about it, (seasoned Marines seem to think that I might as well be sending them tampons and bunny slippers), but my elder son wrote to me that his SDI said protein bars are the only things parents can send. I've ordered a couple of staggered bulk deliveries through Ebay sellers.

    Marines, feel free to weigh in on the myriad ways that a protein bar will soften my recruits into curds and whey. Honestly, I welcome all viewpoints...
    Yum...Chipotle

    I sent my two 75 Power Bars for The Crucible, in one shipment. I sent enough for the entire Platoon and DI's. I had one e-mail exchange with my son's SDI and sent them to him directly, he was amazing and very thankful.


  13. #13
    Marine Free Member Quinbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    4,070
    Credits
    14,506
    Savings
    0
    Images
    37
    If enough for the entire platoon is sent; the drill instructors will probably squirrel them away and hand them out right before a major event. Send them just to him and depends on the drill instructor what happens to them. Recruits are taught team work. Most of the goodies you can save to send to your lads after they hit the fleet.


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by marinemama View Post
    Yum...Chipotle

    I sent my two 75 Power Bars for The Crucible, in one shipment. I sent enough for the entire Platoon and DI's. I had one e-mail exchange with my son's SDI and sent them to him directly, he was amazing and very thankful.
    Times have changed, if you had sent that to our SDI your son would have had to eat them all.


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Times have changed, if you had sent that to our SDI your son would have had to eat them all.
    I hear you on that Sgt...I probably wouldn't have done that either, if I didn't know the wife of one of the other DI's. I didn't want any extra attention brought to them.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts