My Pre-Bootcamp Training Regimen... is it enough? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Shippingsoon View Post
    Monday, Thursday, Saturday
    Pullups - 3 sets (set 1 - 15, set 2 - 15, set 3 - as close to 15 as I can)
    Situps - 4 sets (3 sets of 60, final set of 40)
    Pushups - 3 sets (3 sets of 50)
    Side bends with weights - 3 sets (15-20 dips per set with 80lb dumbell for dip)
    2 mile "march" with 80 pound pack
    3 mile unweighted run

Wednesday & Friday
    3 mile "march" with 80 pound pack
    5 mile unweighted run on Wednesday, 8 miles on Friday.

Sunday
    Rest!

I welcome any comments or recommendations for alterations to this schedule, as I'm looking to do whatever I can to be as prepared as a civilian can be for boot camp.
    Thanks!

Joe

Edit:
    I do my marches in temperate-weather infantry boots and my runs in running shoes. Should I be doing this differently?
    Doesn't look too bad. I would drop off some of the weight on those marches of yours. It's a good idea to get your lower extremities conditioned, though. We had quite a few folks dropping back for shin splints, pulled muscles, hurt feet, etc. It sounds weird, but spend as much time barefoot as you can.

I'd also drop all of the specific Pull-up/Sit-up/Push-up stuff, and replace them with some kind of metabolic workout. It sounds like you're in decent shape already, so unless your PFT score is really in need of improvement, you can probably do without all of those specific exercises. I've never been a fan of specialization as far as fitness goes, so, again, unless you really need to target that PFT score, work on your general fitness instead.

I wish I'd prepared more for the rucks before I shipped -- they were the one thing that I really had a tough time on, and I had a 284 PFT.

Work on sprinting shorter distances (400m/800m), with the occasional 3 or 5 mile benchmark once a week or so, to see how you're doing, in place of those 3/5/8 mile runs you have scheduled.

You might also want to add a second day of rest to the mix as well.

And, like I normally do: Check out CrossFit.com for a terrific program on general fitness.

If you were paying me to train you (which you aren't, unfortunately!), I would put you on:

M/T/W: CrossFit WOD (workout of the day)
    Th: Rest
    F: 3 mile (5K) benchmark/CrossFit/Your choice of what needs to be worked on most
    Sat: 3-5 mile "ruck" at a quick pace
    Sun: Rest

Recipe for success right there! Of course, if you want to be stubborn, your program isn't horrible either

Quote Originally Posted by xpaz View Post
    Doesn't look too bad. I would drop off some of the weight on those marches of yours. It's a good idea to get your lower extremities conditioned, though. We had quite a few folks dropping back for shin splints, pulled muscles, hurt feet, etc. It sounds weird, but spend as much time barefoot as you can.

I'd also drop all of the specific Pull-up/Sit-up/Push-up stuff, and replace them with some kind of metabolic workout. It sounds like you're in decent shape already, so unless your PFT score is really in need of improvement, you can probably do without all of those specific exercises. I've never been a fan of specialization as far as fitness goes, so, again, unless you really need to target that PFT score, work on your general fitness instead.

I wish I'd prepared more for the rucks before I shipped -- they were the one thing that I really had a tough time on, and I had a 284 PFT.

Work on sprinting shorter distances (400m/800m), with the occasional 3 or 5 mile benchmark once a week or so, to see how you're doing, in place of those 3/5/8 mile runs you have scheduled.

You might also want to add a second day of rest to the mix as well.

And, like I normally do: Check out CrossFit.com for a terrific program on general fitness.

If you were paying me to train you (which you aren't, unfortunately!), I would put you on:

M/T/W: CrossFit WOD (workout of the day)
    Th: Rest
    F: 3 mile (5K) benchmark/CrossFit/Your choice of what needs to be worked on most
    Sat: 3-5 mile "ruck" at a quick pace
    Sun: Rest

Recipe for success right there! Of course, if you want to be stubborn, your program isn't horrible either
    Thank you. I think I'd like to tweak my program to include an extra day of rest. Any suggestions for diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shippingsoon View Post
    Any suggestions for diet?
    World class fitness goes hand-in-hand with a world class diet. The best diet you can eat consists of:

Meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar.

This means no breads, pastas, candies, soft drinks, all of that tasty stuff that you have been poisoned with since the day you were birthed. Nuts and seeds are nice and fatty and filled with energy -- almonds, walnuts, etc. I used to take small "shots" of Olive Oil throughout the day (about 2 tsp) for my fat intake, but whatever floats your boat. HEALTHY fats, not the disgusting white crap you find on the sides of grain-fed steaks.

Meats should be as natural as possible. Get to know a butcher. Eat grassfed, organic beef if you can afford it; it's way way way way way better for you. Grassfed organic milk, cheese, whatever, as well.

For a really ideal diet, research the Zone diet (I know it sounds like a stupid fad, but many world class athletes, Marines, SF folk, etc. follow it religiously).

Or if you want to simplify things (and settle with not having an amazing diet), just:

- Limit carbs big time. Carbs should come from low glycemic fruits and veggies whenever possible.
    - Increase healthy fat intake
    - Eat healthy protein

There's really not much to it, other than common sense. Once you get past the advertising that all of the food companies shove down your throat, you'll wonder "Why the hell did I ever eat that crap, again?"

Hope that helps...

Seriously if you aren't a fat ass then stuff your face. Do a lot of pull ups and run a good three to four miles a few times a week. PT is most definitely not the hardest part of boot camp. I thought the starvation was worse than the PT. If you are a fat ass, I wouldn't recommend leaving for boot camp fat. Most people who start the Marine Corps overweight, end up having weight issues throughout their time in.

Thread Information