My Pre-Bootcamp Training Regimen... is it enough?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Pre-Bootcamp Training Regimen... is it enough?

Hi All,

Thanks to the advice I received on this site, I’ve decided that it's well worth waiting until June for the 02xx MOS category. I've been prepping for boot for a few weeks now, and since I know the amount of time before I ship, I'm ramping up my PT. Please let me know what you think of this schedule:

Monday, Thursday, Saturday
    Pullups - 3 sets (set 1 - 15, set 2 - 15, set 3 - as close to 15 as I can)
    Situps - 4 sets (3 sets of 60, final set of 40)
    Pushups - 3 sets (3 sets of 50)
    Side bends with weights - 3 sets (15-20 dips per set with 80lb dumbell for dip)
    2 mile "march" with 80 pound pack
    3 mile unweighted run

Wednesday & Friday
    3 mile "march" with 80 pound pack
    5 mile unweighted run on Wednesday, 8 miles on Friday.

Sunday
    Rest!

I welcome any comments or recommendations for alterations to this schedule, as I'm looking to do whatever I can to be as prepared as a civilian can be for boot camp.
    Thanks!

Joe

Edit:
    I do my marches in temperate-weather infantry boots and my runs in running shoes. Should I be doing this differently?

Last edited by Shippingsoon; 01-30-09 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Lack of detail in first post

Have you DEP'd in yet? I see your status as Marine Friend.

Alterations? Find a playground: TRUST ME. Monkey bars, swings, all that good stuff.

Get at least seven hours sleep. Early to bed and early to rise. Eat wholesome too. Reduces the "forming day runs" which go well into training days.

Not officially. Forgive me if I say something ignorant here:

I've taken the ASVAB, followed by the MEPS "exams" and will be taking the DLAB on Monday. My recruiter has a "spot" for me for a June boot camp ship date based on my desire to go Intel. He suspects one might open up sooner, but he can't promise anything.

Well that was carefully worded. The DLAB, as you should already know, can't be studied for. A good character; honest family and friends; and a good work history help immensely for the security clearance.

Remember to go over that contract with a fine toothed comb if you're really set on that particular field. If it ain't in your contract then you're going where the needs of the Marine Corps dictate. Be ready to live at a moment's notice if a spot opens up early. Square away your trash now.

Find a playground like I said. We used to go out and practice moving our bodies through space around a series of obstacles. This was called "play" or "recess". Doesn't happen that often nowadays.

Thanks!

I'm probably going to stop by my Recruiter's Office this afternoon to see if I can get that MOS squared away into my contract. I think that I may have an open contract at the moment. I have a clean past, excellent references and a good work history. Neither he nor I anticipate problems with my ability to get a clearance. He's been extremely supportive and helpful. I tested very well on the ASVAB (97) and have always been able to grasp lingusitics fairly easily in the past, so I hope I do equally well on the DLAB.

Did I mention that I'm excited?

Quote Originally Posted by Shippingsoon View Post
    Hi All
    Yes hello
    2 mile "march" with 80 pound pack....3 mile "march" with 80 pound pack
    Whats the deal with 80 lbs is it 1/2 your body weight or some other magic number? I wouldn't force a dishonest mule to pack 1/2 it's body weight, for very long.

When the time comes to hump extreme loads you just get after it, but don't volunteer to hunch your back for no good reason other than weighted cardio. Lighten up the load and find an incline for similar results and avoid torturing your spine. Sabes?

--->Dave

Thanks for the reply!

My intention with the weighted march excercise was to prepare me for the sort of rigors one would experience during something like the crucible. 80 pounds just happened to be the amount of weight I could easily fit into the backpack I'm using.

Quote Originally Posted by Shippingsoon View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

My intention with the weighted march excercise was to prepare me for the sort of rigors one would experience during something like the crucible. 80 pounds just happened to be the amount of weight I could easily fit into the backpack I'm using.
    Your pack during the Crucible is 30-40 pounds. Add rifle, helmet, web belt, canteens and your results will vary.

That sounds like a great work out plan, any ideas on what would be a good meal plan? i lost 8 pounds a week ago eating just a granola bar and oval teen for the day with lots of water, i practically starved myself but i needed to drop the weight fast to qualify so i could swear in. My ship date is just around the corner and i need to loose more weight, im eating again but i feel completely drained of energy when i try to run. Im going to try my hardest but i would like a good diet plan.

Im leaving on Feb 23rd ( Monday ), im currently 191lbs and need to be 179lbs on the Friday before i leave or my ship date will change.

I wish I had the motivation to hump for PRACTICE. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by fierronights View Post
    i lost 8 pounds a week ago eating just a granola bar and oval teen for the day with lots of water, i practically starved myself
    Yes you did or your body thinks you did, and i assure you since you did stay hydrated that 8lbs you cut was at least 4 lbs of muscle mass, gone, poof.

Quote Originally Posted by fierronights View Post
    any ideas on what would be a good meal plan
    Eat hearty early in the day, starve late, remain active.

It is good to work-out prior to boot camp, build as much strength as you can before shipping. You just have to be aware of what kind of stress you are putting on your body. Do not overdo youself! If an exercise hurts or doesn't feel right, don't do it! If you end up hurting yourself, you might not ship.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I agree with commdog...many runners stick to not running more than 25 miles per week..you increase your chances of hurting yourself immensely by doing anything over that and it would not be worth it to get a stress fracture in your ankle prior to shipping. I would add in some sprints or some fast-paced, timed, circuit running..this will increase your foot speed and lactic acid threshold which are extremely important to keeping a good pace while running distance. Check out some running workouts online, you'll find something that fits and is probably a lot more fun than a weighted march.

i cannot gain much muscle, its not easy trying to supply what my body needs while at the same time dropping as much weight as i need to in my alloted time frame. im not saying its not possible but well see what happens, all i can do is try.

Thread Information