Should I Finish College First?
Closed Thread

Exclamation Should I Finish College First?

Hi everyone, maybe some of u have seen my previous thread, but i have a new question.

I have 2good years of college, should i finish my criminal justice bachelor and go in as officer, or just join right away?

Quote Originally Posted by MG0260813 View Post
    Hi everyone, maybe some of u have seen my previous thread, but i have a new question.

I have 2good years of college, should i finish my criminal justice bachelor and go in as officer, or just join right away?
    I'M NOT IN ANY WAY BASHING OCS CANDIDATES, BUT IN MY LIMITED AMOUNT OF EXPERIANCE, I FIND IT SLIGHTLY ARROGANT THAT JUST BECAUSE SOMONE HAS GONE THROUGH 4 YEARS OF COLLEGE THEY CAN GO RIGHT INTO THE MARINE CORPS AND BE A LEADER OF MARINES.

NOW I'M NOT SAYIGN THAT IT ISNT POSSIBLE TO DO A GOOD JOB BY GOIGN THAT ROUTE BUT I HOLD RESERVATIONS FOR IT..

SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I WOULD SAY FINISH YOUR COLLEGE AND THEN GO IN AS ENLISTED AND WORK TOWARD BEING AN OFFICER AFTER YOU HAVE MORE EXPERIANCE.

I KNOW I DONT HAVE ANY EXPERIANCE IN THIS AREA CAUSE I'M ONLY 17. BUT THATS MY TWO CENTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rains View Post
    I'M NOT IN ANY WAY BASHING OCS CANDIDATES, BUT IN MY LIMITED AMOUNT OF EXPERIANCE, I FIND IT SLIGHTLY ARROGANT THAT JUST BECAUSE SOMONE HAS GONE THROUGH 4 YEARS OF COLLEGE THEY CAN GO RIGHT INTO THE MARINE CORPS AND BE A LEADER OF MARINES.

NOW I'M NOT SAYIGN THAT IT ISNT POSSIBLE TO DO A GOOD JOB BY GOIGN THAT ROUTE BUT I HOLD RESERVATIONS FOR IT..

SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, I WOULD SAY FINISH YOUR COLLEGE AND THEN GO IN AS ENLISTED AND WORK TOWARD BEING AN OFFICER AFTER YOU HAVE MORE EXPERIANCE.

I KNOW I DONT HAVE ANY EXPERIANCE IN THIS AREA CAUSE I'M ONLY 17. BUT THATS MY TWO CENTS.
    HA! Maybe it's the 10x harder training and screening process that makes them qualified? Just maybe?!? The 4 year bachelor's is just to get the chance, man. It shows that you are intelligent enough to lead. They earn their right to be an officer and to question it is pretty crazy. You act like they hand them their degree at OCS and they tell them they're good to go and slap the Lieutenant name on them.

Anyways (original poster), I'm a JR right now at the home of the Huskers and I'm leaving. I have my reasons though. One being that I don't think I have the discipline to get through the end of my college career yet. Second, I'd like to get the rest paid for (NOTE: I said that's why I didn't stay and graduate. I'm not joining for those reasons).

If you feel that you can finish up college, and you have the means to do so, by all means go for it. Just realize that you'll have to be in tip-top shape and mentally prepared, if possible, for what you'll encounter at OCS.

Quote Originally Posted by MG0260813 View Post

Put them 2 good years of college to good use and beef up your PROFILE....

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rains View Post

Firstly, why do you type in that annoying typewriter font?

Secondly, all Marines are leaders of Marines. PFC's have been called upon in battle to do the work of the senior enlisted and in more dire circumstances, even step into the duties of their deceased officers.

Thirdly, officer training is much more difficult and in the case of NROTC, they actually spend more time in preparation for their military career (a longer one, too), than enlisted Marines. Also, do you think that in a mere 13 weeks you are this superman Marine? Soon after bootcamp you will realize that you are just... a boot... doing boot things. All Marines earn their keep one way or another.

So, to the original poster, I say, finish college and become an officer if you really want it.

Or you could enlist now in the reserves while you are finishing your degree, then try for enlisted to Officer Commissioning program. It would make you that much better of an Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by richerich View Post
    Or you could enlist now in the reserves while you are finishing your degree, then try for enlisted to Officer Commissioning program. It would make you that much better of an Officer.
    That seems like the best idea to me.

It is my understanding that all OCS is screened by senior Nco's e-7,e-8.

Marines pick who leads them...

MG, take the advice of the Marines that have replied and stay in College, it is up to you to make the decision for the Reserves, I personally do not think it makes any difference. The majority of officers are not prior enlisted and there are some great ones.

If you are going to commit to the education you want to get the best ROI out of it.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecfree View Post
    Put them 2 good years of college to good use and beef up your PROFILE....
    Good advice for MG0260813. Minimal effort will get you no where in the Marine Corps.

Thread Information