If your wounded
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If your wounded

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

If your wounded

I didn't know whether this would be the best place for my question but here it is:

I was talking with my parents the other day about joining the Marines as a 0311, and they are not happy.( There not happy with me joining the military, let alone be a grunt) They brought up a valid point of what would happen if I got wounded. They also brought up me dying and such but I would be fine with dying in the Corps...it would be the ultimate sacrifice.

If your wounded while in the Marine Corps, such as losing your leg or an arm, do you have to be discharged? Can you go to another job such as a desk job or be a air traffic controller? What would be the outlook on being an officer? Would the USMC not let you?

Sorry if this question sounds absurd but there are a lot of Marines that have been wounded in Iraq and I got to think if I was one of them, what would happen?

Thank you

Credits
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by JTB7 View Post
    I didn't know whether this would be the best place for my question but here it is:

I was talking with my parents the other day about joining the Marines as a 0311, and they are not happy.( There not happy with me joining the military, let alone be a grunt) They brought up a valid point of what would happen if I got wounded. They also brought up me dying and such but I would be fine with dying in the Corps...it would be the ultimate sacrifice.

If your wounded while in the Marine Corps, such as losing your leg or an arm, do you have to be discharged? Can you go to another job such as a desk job or be a air traffic controller? What would be the outlook on being an officer? Would the USMC not let you?

Sorry if this question sounds absurd but there are a lot of Marines that have been wounded in Iraq and I got to think if I was one of them, what would happen?

Thank you
    While I admire your bravado, it is all talk at this point. No man knows what he will do until he faces the situation. The bravest often turns out to be the most subdued mild mannered pfc and all to often the blowhard falls to pieces. Tell your recruiter, tell yourself, but don't tell me you are fine with dying because you just don't know.

I don't mean to crush your enthusiasm, just trying to save you the embarassment of shooting off at the mouth and getting cut off at the knees by a Marine who has been there and done that. While your question is entirely reasonable, you can't let these kinds of things color your judgment so soon. As for your parents feelings, do your best to set their minds at ease but remember it is YOUR life and nobody else's. You will have to see that face every day in the mirror for the rest of your life, however long or short a time as your Maker may see fit to give you. Semper Fi and I look forward to seeing you out here or over There one day.

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    While I admire your bravado, it is all talk at this point. No man knows what he will do until he faces the situation. The bravest often turns out to be the most subdued mild mannered pfc and all to often the blowhard falls to pieces. Tell your recruiter, tell yourself, but don't tell me you are fine with dying because you just don't know.

I don't mean to crush your enthusiasm, just trying to save you the embarassment of shooting off at the mouth and getting cut off at the knees by a Marine who has been there and done that. While your question is entirely reasonable, you can't let these kinds of things color your judgment so soon. As for your parents feelings, do your best to set their minds at ease but remember it is YOUR life and nobody else's. You will have to see that face every day in the mirror for the rest of your life, however long or short a time as your Maker may see fit to give you. Semper Fi and I look forward to seeing you out here or over There one day.
    Well said, Marine!!

Ed

At my last infantry unit (3/6), we had a Lt. that stepped on a mine in Afghanistan. He lost his leg just below the knee. This happened within the first 3 months we were in country. He rejoined the unit about 10 months later. He passed the PFT and deployed with us to Iraq. When it gets down to it, it's all about your attitude. He had a possitive attitude. Even if he was a sh!tbird. As a person I liked him. As a Lt. I thought he sucked. I figured out what buttons to push, pretty quickly, to get him fired up enough to kick ass when he needed to. He wanted to stay in the Marines more than getting out and being treated like a cripple.

Everyone deals with their injuries differently. He did a great job at dealing with his. Some just give up and expect others to show them pitty.

Quote Originally Posted by JTB7 View Post

Thank you
    Loss of limb or eye will be a discharge.

I joined the Corps to find out how good I was. Momma and Daddy couldn't protect me all my life. Yours can't either. I raised a daughter and four sons to lead their own lives and make their own decisions. But you better find out who YOU are before you leave the door of the aircraft cause there aint no coming back. At some point in your life you have to make your own decisions. CHOOSE WISELY GRASSHOPPER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KawiGunny View Post
    At my last infantry unit (3/6), we had a Lt. that stepped on a mine in Afghanistan. He lost his leg just below the knee. This happened within the first 3 months we were in country. He rejoined the unit about 10 months later. He passed the PFT and deployed with us to Iraq.
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Loss of limb or eye will be a discharge.
    Apparently not

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The movie, "Men of Honor", was a true story, and deserves a look. "U.D.T.", SEALS, at their best!......Doc Greek

Quote Originally Posted by skipperwo1 View Post
    I joined the Corps to find out how good I was. Momma and Daddy couldn't protect me all my life. Yours can't either. I raised a daughter and four sons to lead their own lives and make their own decisions. But you better find out who YOU are before you leave the door of the aircraft cause there aint no coming back. At some point in your life you have to make your own decisions. CHOOSE WISELY GRASSHOPPER!!!

Very well said. No plan means no parachute.

I still cant father how everyone thinks once you join the Marine Corps you are going to die. If that was the case, there would be no Marine Corps. I can't remember how many people said something to that affect before I joined.

What makes you want to be a grunt? Think about that. Think about what other possabilitys there are as well. I chose not to go 03 because that doesn't help on an applications in cavilian life. Now when I go for a CDL job, and they ask me what experiance I have. Ill ask hom if he has ever seen an LVS work. If I could go back. I might consider something along the lines of crew chief or something to do with working on planes or helicopters. That would be a nice cushy cavilian job.

Just don't go thinking you want to be a grunt because you seen 300, and think you should die. If it where to happen, so be it. But don't go thinking that you gotta die.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm going to go throw up now.

Son, you haven't even DEPd in yet and you're worried about getting wounded????????????????

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Here's what we used to teach police recruits:

Just because someone fires a shot AT you, doesn't mean you've been shot. Generally only one out of every 10 bullets fired hit someone.

If you ARE shot, that doesn't mean you're going to die. Generally only one out every 10 shot people die from that gunshot.

Don't be the last motherf*cker hurt in that gunfight.

Attitude!

I was talking with a customer at my shop yesterday. He's a retired 20-year Army grunt and Vietnam vet (I've known him for some time). He showed me the scars from three AK-47 bullets wounds he took in his lower right arm in one firefight. Two bullets passed perfectly between the two bones in his lower arm and damaged nothing but some muscle tissue. The third, ripped a chunk of muscle out closer to the elbow. He knows that one millimeter in either direction and his right arm bones or elbow would have been powder.

He said he still killed the VC that shot him using his wounded arm to fire his rifle. Never lost the grip on his rifle and finishing helping his unit in the fight. He spent 20-days in the hospital and in physical therapy and back to his unit he went.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I was talking with a customer at my shop yesterday. He's a retired 20-year Army grunt and Vietnam vet (I've known him for some time). He showed me the scars from three AK-47 bullets wounds he took in his lower right arm in one firefight. Two bullets passed perfectly between the two bones in his lower arm and damaged nothing but some muscle tissue. The third, ripped a chunk of muscle out closer to the elbow. He knows that one millimeter in either direction and his right arm bones or elbow would have been powder.

He said he still killed the VC that shot him using his wounded arm to fire his rifle. Never lost the grip on his rifle and finishing helping his unit in the fight. He spent 20-days in the hospital and in physical therapy and back to his unit he went.
    My grandfather was a Marine in World War II. Got shot by a Japanese sniper on Guam in his lower right arm. It went in through his elbow and out through his forearm hitting no bone...went in and went right out. Corpsman told him about 1mm either way and he wouldn't have had an arm below the elbow anymore.

In 2003 there was a corporal who had both his hands blown off, when an RPG hit his saw during a firefight. He stayed in the fight and and continued to lead his team. Earned a Silver Star. This Marine was not discharged, and actually he became a MCMAP instructor at Quantico until HE chose to get out.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Job well done PaidinBlood !!!
    Semper Fi
    Rocky

ps. Every answer was OUTF**K**GSTANDING.....

Thread Information