My 1st Poolee function. We did an IST.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile My 1st Poolee function. We did an IST.

I swear-in on Feb 2nd (5 days )

anywho... I have to say I'm impressed with myself and pretty sure I'm ready (no cockiness) for the physical aspect, although I wouldn't mind better results!

I honestly didn't think I'd do so well (came out 1st in everything) and figured "hmm.. these Poolees have been doing this way longer than me. Let me just be the guy 'in the back' and follow" ya know?

pull ups- 19 (yes angry bc I couldnt squeeze that last one!)
    situps - 91
    1.5 mile - 09:13 (Trying to bring this down... but my lower back keeps hurting )

anywho... what do you Poolees/Marines think? I'm hoping and shooting for a 300 in boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolerance View Post

anywho... I have to say I'm impressed with myself and pretty sure I'm ready (no cockiness) for the physical aspect, although I wouldn't mind better results!

I honestly didn't think I'd do so well (came out 1st in everything) and figured "hmm.. these Poolees have been doing this way longer than me. Let me just be the guy 'in the back' and follow" ya know?

situps - 91
    1.5 mile - 09:13 (Trying to bring this down... but my lower back keeps hurting )

anywho... what do you Poolees/Marines think? I'm hoping and shooting for a 300 in boot!
    Lower back pain usually means poor running form or you need to get some new shoes ,you might be a over pronator

Sounds like you did real good, just keep working hard! You will achieve what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by biesseb View Post
    Your so awesome
    1) You're

2) why the hate?

the main question was regarding my lower back actually... maybe I should've pointed that out.

1) You're

2) why the hate?

the main question was regarding my lower back actually... maybe I should've pointed that out.
    Your post wasn't written with a lick of modesty. Marines are cocky but we're modest and humble when it comes down to it. You as a future poolee should be super-moto but modest regarding your abilities since you're still striving to earn the title.

As it was said before, either your go-fasters are worn or your form is off. We don't have a history on you and don't know if you've had injuries or if you're still gangly from puberty.

Ask your recruiter or a trainer to assess your running form. You could also go to a specialized sporting goods store and beg for advice. I say beg because it's cheap and most future poolees don't have money.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Your post wasn't written with a lick of modesty. Marines are cocky but we're modest and humble when it comes down to it. You as a future poolee should be super-moto but modest regarding your abilities since you're still striving to earn the title.

As it was said before, either your go-fasters are worn or your form is off. We don't have a history on you and don't know if you've had injuries or if you're still gangly from puberty.

Ask your recruiter or a trainer to assess your running form. You could also go to a specialized sporting goods store and beg for advice. I say beg because it's cheap and most future poolees don't have money.
    thanks for the advice

I know for sure its not the shoes... just bought new ones a month ago

I honestly think it's somewhat of my form/lack of running. I hardly run to begin with sooo yea, pretty sure that has something to do with it.

great advice on the sporting goods store. gonna go see what i can dig up!

thanks for the advice

I know for sure its not the shoes... just bought new ones a month ago

I honestly think it's somewhat of my form/lack of running. I hardly run to begin with sooo yea, pretty sure that has something to do with it.

great advice on the sporting goods store. gonna go see what i can dig up!
    New ones can be as bad as worn ones. They might not be broken in yet. Check the wear pattern on the new ones against the old ones. if you see more wear on the inside or the outside your form is off.

If you put them down on the deck and they don't sit up straight because one side is more worn than the other then that'll lead to problems all the way up to your hips and lower back.

situps - 91

Doing lifts at the gym to gain back muscle would aslo help. I always would get a sore back from sports, when I started seriously lifting and gained more muscle all of that went away, and it also made running easier on my body. Just a thought

Just remember. You can be the strongest one at boot camp and not have what it takes to be a Marine.

You did real good on your physical test. You will be surprised when you get to bootcamp, and see how many recruits who have a hard time passing the IST. I know. I was one of them that just barley passed the run. You'r numbers will only go up in bootcamp, so your goal of a 300 pft isn't far fetched. Its actually pretty likly. Its the runtime that normally stops a Marine from getting there 300.

Here is my 2cents. I am a second year Law Enforcement student and I am in great physical shape. I am not a big guy, only weigh 151lbs at 67.5", but I am in very good shape. I work out often and several weeks ago started adding long distance running into my work out, I hadn't before because cardio is bad for someone trying to gain more weight and muscle mass. Anway, running 1.5miles in 9:13 is good, but before you start sticking feathers in your cap go run 3 miles in 18 minutes. You only ran 50% of the required distance. I can run 2miles in just over 12minutes, but that last mile just about kills me and my time drops dramatically. I would love to score a 300 and I know I can with more work. I can max the pull-ups and crunches no problem but running is not my strong point.

Considering you didn't get 100 crunches, which imo is not easy but not that bad given how much time they give you, you probably need to work up your back strength. Do sit-ups and if you get to a gym and they have a reverse sit-up machine use that. Also make sure you are stretching you back before you run. And lastly have you ever been to a chyropractor? Many times with lower back pain during running is due to one leg being slightly longer than the other, which can be fixed with a quick trip to the chryro. Or it could be shoes like others have said.

In all keep your skills in perspective. 3miles in 18 minutes is humping it hardcore. Not many people can achieve that kind of running skill. Keep up the good work though and good luck.

situps - 91

You are close to the 300 mark, but the siuation with screaming DI's could bring different results, Good Luck.

I'm having that same lower back pain. I've been in football all my life and extremely active in baseball (year round) and it kills me nowadays running.

At first I thought it was me being out of shape having been out of sports for a few years, so I kept at it, but nothing has really changed. SOO, I went and got a frickin cat scan on my spine and nothing was wrong (waste $$). They told me to stretch, keep working, and take alleve (sp?). I think it's probably my technique.

Oh yeah...I was going to ask this in my last post.

Are you allowed anti-inflammatory pills like alleve in boot or is that out of the question?

As I stated above, and I know it sounds crazy, but consider going to a chryropractor. When I was in my teen years I was extremely active in sports and anything physical and outdoors. Then something just seemed to happen over night and my lower back would start to hurt after any extended period of physical activity. I just sucked it up for over a year until my mother finally made me see a doctor. They took X-rays thinking I may have scoliosis, because my mother has a minor case of it. It came up negative. So we went and saw a chyro and that old man laid me on a docs table and measured me. I thought he was nuts. After about ten minutes of measuring all my limbs and head and **** he said my left leg was slightly longer then my right. So he massaged my hip a little and then grabbed my foot and yanked really hard on my right leg and it popped in my hip. He said my legs were actually the same length but my hip was just slightly out of place making my legs length off and thus ****ing my back up. I saw that chyro when I was 17 and I am 24 now and have never had a back problem since. It might not be the problem in your case but its worth a shot.

Thread Information